In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
silverado2k18

2018 Engine Cleaning

Hi everyone.  With spring approaching here in the Northeast, its almost time to totally clean the truck.  With that said, what do you use, to clean the engine area, and what areas, should be avoided with a garden hose/pressure washer.  All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Honestly what I've done with this truck and my past diesels I use the low pressure pre soak at most car washes and then run the spot free rinse. Not enough pressure to give you any problems

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

I would never use a power washer.

Can force water into places you don't want water to be.

I use Super Power Cleaner. Walmart has it.

Dilute it as needed.

Garden hose.

Cold engine.

:)

Are there any parts that need to be covered/protected first?

Are there any parts that need to be covered/protected first?
Honestly unless you face an open filter air intake you dont gotta cover anything. Just dont use high pressure water. Garden hose, spot free style rinse from the car wash is all good. Cold engine is preferred most will say but if you wash the rest of the truck first and rinse the engine last I see no problem. I've done it that way for a long time never an issue

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Well I’m an odd bird but I use the soaper at the local car wash, let it sit for about five minutes and then just rinse with hot/warm water. Been using this method for 40 years...well maybe not the soaper but same principle. Good clean and with all the hidden areas it really gets in there. 

• Like 3

Well I’m an odd bird but I use the soaper at the local car wash, let it sit for about five minutes and then just rinse with hot/warm water. Been using this method for 40 years...well maybe not the soaper but same principle. Good clean and with all the hidden areas it really gets in there. 

I usually have my truck professionally washed and waxed once a month but have been running it through a high tech car wash then spraying it with synthetic detail sprays and have a seriously glossy truck, even with my wheels too. It’s so easy doing it this way I actually prefer it over the professional wash and wax cause it’s much faster and same results.

Sent from above

Oops, thought talking about car washes lol

Sent from above

1 minute ago, TXGREEK said:

Oops, thought talking about car washes lol

Sent from above

Still good inputs!

• Like 1

I put a plastic shopping bag over the alternator and then apply a liberal spraying of Simple Green all over the engine and engine compartment, let it sit for a few minutes and then hose it off with a garden hose. This has worked well for me, I've cleaned my engines this way (except for Simple Green, I used to use other engine cleaners like Gunk before Simple Green came out) for 30 years and never had an issue, everything from a 1971 Ford F-100 to my current 2018 Sierra. 

• Like 1

If you spray it with silicone spray when you are done cleaning it then it will shine like crazy and repel some future dirt/dust.

• Like 2

Hotsy works fantastic and peels all the crap off quite nicely with no chemicals.  I honestly use a hot water pressure washer on the engine of every vehicle I have ever owned and most get a wash every time the body does.  I always get comments on how nice my engine bays are... not hard when they are always clean.  I never use anything else other than maybe some detailer spray if I feel really spendy.  Anything that generally produces a shine on plastic attracts dirt and dust like glue.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I usually have my truck professionally washed and waxed once a month but have been running it through a high tech car wash then spraying it with synthetic detail sprays and have a seriously glossy truck, even with my wheels too. It’s so easy doing it this way I actually prefer it over the professional wash and wax cause it’s much faster and same results.

Sent from above

What is high tech about the car wash? Is it a "touchless" system?

• Like 1

What is high tech about the car wash? Is it a "touchless" system?

Not touch less, multiple chemicals recycled and utilizes shammy material along with special chemicals actually leaves my vehicles very shiny that completely gets rid of any swirls too with a wax like feel to the paint. I then use a synthetic detailing spray with easy wipe as I dry it and boom, excellent polished look and wax feel.

Sent from above