2018 Engine Cleaning

45 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Not touch less, multiple chemicals recycled and utilizes shammy material along with special chemicals actually leaves my vehicles very shiny that completely gets rid of any swirls too with a wax like feel to the paint. I then use a synthetic detailing spray with easy wipe as I dry it and boom, excellent polished look and wax feel.

Sent from above

Who owns' the car wash? Is it a national chain, or just local?

Some places will steam-clean your engine bay. It works well, and won't damage anything. I would only resort to that cost if it were an oily mess or really dirty. Otherwise I like the soap spray and rinse routine at DIY car washes for engine bays. You don't want that crud it loosens in your driveway, they are equipped to handle it and keep it from polluting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Lsgun1 said:

If you spray it with silicone spray when you are done cleaning it then it will shine like crazy and repel some future dirt/dust.

What is this miracle spray? With the pollen we currently have around here, I would love to find something that helps repel this stuff!!

18 hours ago, silverado2k18 said:

Hi everyone.  With spring approaching here in the Northeast, its almost time to totally clean the truck.  With that said, what do you use, to clean the engine area, and what areas, should be avoided with a garden hose/pressure washer.  All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Wow!  Great replies from everyone.  I really appreciate it. 

What is this miracle spray? With the pollen we currently have around here, I would love to find something that helps repel this stuff!!
You're not kidding about pollen. I can get the blower out and get rid of it just in time for the new layer 3 minutes later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HeySkippyDog said:

You're not kidding about pollen. I can get the blower out and get rid of it just in time for the new layer 3 minutes later.

Yep, it's a never ending battle!

23 hours ago, draperfish said:

I put a plastic shopping bag over the alternator and then apply a liberal spraying of Simple Green all over the engine and engine compartment, let it sit for a few minutes and then hose it off with a garden hose. This has worked well for me, I've cleaned my engines this way (except for Simple Green, I used to use other engine cleaners like Gunk before Simple Green came out) for 30 years and never had an issue, everything from a 1971 Ford F-100 to my current 2018 Sierra. 

I agree with that, luckily nowadays there is so much plastic covering all the "water-sensitive" parts in the engine bay. I haven't looked lately to see just how exposed the alternator is on my 5.3 but most of it is covered with the plastic. I usually vacuum any leaves/dirt off the cowl and such, then give a quick spray with a garden hose, then spray on some diluted super clean in the areas that look especially grimey. I usually let it dwell for just a few minutes then use a long handled, soft-bristle brush to run over it all. Rinse with garden hose and dry with compressed air or microfiber towel. I also usually put a "dressing" of some type on there like Griot's Engine Bay Dressing or Meg's water-based dressing. I personally prefer a satin look to the plastic and hoses and all and I think that the water-based does not "attract" as much dirt as some of the other heavier dressings.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I’ve heard it shouldn’t be used on plastic, apparently it ruins plastic, discolors it.

Never heard that. I spray down tons of plastic with it and its all been fine for years.

• Like 1

Never heard that. I spray down tons of plastic with it and its all been fine for years.

That’s good to know especially since it’s even stated that it’s manufactured with more acetone than actual silicone which acetone will dry rot plastic/rubber.

Sent from above