2018 Engine Cleaning

If you are looking to dress up plastic parts I would highly recommend looking at 303 Aerospace Protectant. This stuff has been my go to for detailing the interior and any plastic exterior parts (including my tonneau cover). It leaves a semi-gloss shine and seems to last quite a while.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gone_fishing said:

If you are looking to dress up plastic parts I would highly recommend looking at 303 Aerospace Protectant. This stuff has been my go to for detailing the interior and any plastic exterior parts (including my tonneau cover). It leaves a semi-gloss shine and seems to last quite a while.

You have good luck with that 303? I have read a lot of reviews and comments but never tried it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NCPGMC said:

You have good luck with that 303? I have read a lot of reviews and comments but never tried it. 

Yes I think it's a good product. I've gotten compliments on my interior looking nice 6 months after applying it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s what I use on my Tonneau cover and trim too. But I’m sure pollen will get on that too

5121d05179facbd8ebad18a33947e610.jpg

Sent from above

• Like 1

That's funny, it does say not for use on plastics. I've used it 3 years on my jet skit internals, here's a pic. No fading there at all. Maybe UV has something to do with it. Either way there are other brands that say ok for plastic.

340AECC5-9A47-48F1-8384-0FFE0CBADBA3.jpeg

That's funny, it does say not for use on plastics. I've used it 3 years on my jet skit internals, here's a pic. No fading there at all. Maybe UV has something to do with it. Either way there are other brands that say ok for plastic.

340AECC5-9A47-48F1-8384-0FFE0CBADBA3.thumb.jpeg.239c4986bdd97c1483a735a5d3eae61b.jpeg

Nice is that the supercharged ski? I have a 15 svho things a rocket lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Jaychevy81 said:

Nice is that the supercharged ski? I have a 15 svho things a rocket lol.

Just a 1.8 HO. Was my first one and didn't want the little 1.0 but I didn't want to pay for the SVHO either haha. Thing still rips.

Just a 1.8 HO. Was my first one and didn't want the little 1.0 but I didn't want to pay for the SVHO either haha. Thing still rips.

We started out with the smaller fx skis which were pretty quick to start but traded them like 3 years later. Got a good deal on left over svho’s

So, you guys actually spray water in your engine bay?  Like literally over everything or, just a quick spray to clean the top?  You get the whole bay (the walls), not just the engine?  I’m thinking of all the electronics in there and all the connectors and I just can’t imagine that you can hose down your engine.  I understand you can’t take a full on car wash pressure washer in there, but you can really take a light spray in there and get everything wet?  Do you let it dry out for a couple hours before you start it just in case?  Don’t mean to be stupid, but this just goes against my natural thoughts of keeping water away from all electrical.  Making matters worse is that I just got my first new pressure washer that I’m dying to try out.  Weather should be warm enough here in a couple weeks.  It would be sweet to use that, on low pressure, to keep the engine bay clean.  

Edited by GN2018

Yes, you can use water to clean your engine bay. I always just use a regular "shower" spray on my garden hose and go over it really quickly. You don't need to drown it in water, usually 10 or 15 seconds for the whole engine bay will do. After a few times cleaning it up with water/degreaser you can do a waterless wash because it shouldn't be that dirty, especially if you use some type of dressing on it afterward. When it's warm (spring/summer/fall) I like to hand wash my truck at least once a month. Not sure what everyone else is doing but I know some people that wash their vehicle every week. If you're worried about your battery or alternator or other electrical just cover them with a plastic grocery bag.

The best solution to prevent trim fade is to park out of the sun. I know its not feasible to have a garage at your apartment or condo for example, but the city dwellers can ask if they can put up a shelter in their lot. I rinse the dust off my engine bay with a 4000spi 4gpm diesel fired washer and I have no issues. 

I use a 3 bucket method with grit guards, a rinse pail, a soap pail and a wheel/trim pail. First I strip the heavy stuff off with my hot washer, then hit the whole truck with the foam lance to provide lubrication for the wash mitt, I keep adding foam as I get different areas, top to bottom. Once the paint is clean I switch mitts and pails and do the rocker panels, sidesteps, wheels, mudflaps, exhaust tip. Then I rinse the whole truck off and blow off the water with a leaf blower. Then I touch up the water spots with a shammy. Then wax and detail. Takes me about 5-6 hours to do it in a relaxing manner. Claybar once a season. NEVER circular motion with wash mitt or wax applicator/buffer towel. Once done I wash all my mitts/polish rags in the washer for next time. AMMO NYC on youtube is a very helpful learning resource so that you don't damage your paint. I am in my 30's and still learning new tips are tricks each time I wash a vehicle, and I have over 20 to maintain. They don't all get the show car treatment like my truck though. 

16 hours ago, Lsgun1 said:

340AECC5-9A47-48F1-8384-0FFE0CBADBA3.jpeg

That looks good but it is a little too "greasy" or shiny to me. I personally prefer a satin look on mine. Does it attract dirt like some other dressings do?