Unsettling Experience

The ripples in the dirt were the perfect storm and it's probable I'll never experience that again. The front end stayed firmly on the ground while the back end jumped quite a few times and was a foot off. If people want to blame that on the driver, let them. They are being stupid on purpose. It was a straight road, mentioned that many times. I can keep repeating things here and people will still bring up things because they can't stand people disparaging their products. It's like watching a possum protect its trashcan.

Edited by Wiggums

So the story has changed from a what sounded like a little dirt over the road to a washboard like surface? A solid rear axle on leaf springs will move around a good amount on washboard roads regardless of how straight it is, especially if there is a crown on the road. There is no safety issue, under the exact same circumstances the other brands would have done the same, it is a characteristic of the solid rear axle. 

The reason people are jumping down your throat and questioning you is how you came off at the beginning of the thread sounding like a complete troll...

"Should have stuck with a Ford, it never did that. That Chevy is a piece of shit, there, I said it". You also never drove the ford over the exact same situation...

Below shows the movements on a rough road even in a straight line...

Tyler

• Thanks 1

It was a little dirt, about an inch high, 8 foot long. That's never changed. My truck didn't even shudder that much as the video, you're so way off.

The front end never moved, it stayed planted while the back end swayed wildly. And, looking at the picture, it wasn't that bumpy, not even half.

Keep grabbing for straws to justify your biased stance.

You know... I'm seeing 2019 Sierra AT4 owners reporting the same thing.. like this.

https://www.silveradosierra.com/suspension/rear-has-excessive-bounce-t710283.html

So I'm not the only one and the responses there are much better. I've learned not to go for a forum full of fanboys who attack anything legitimate. Keep yourselves stupid.

3 hours ago, Wiggums said:

I looked into that the same day.. all show 36 to 37. That was one of the things I looked at first. On the Ford forum, one had gotten his tires up to 45 and mentioned he nearly went off the road.

I really cannot find anything wrong except that the back is empty. I initially looked into getting all four up to 40 psi, but that doesn't look likely. What psi do you keep yours at? I'm always looking for ways to get my gas mileage up without compromising the safety. Getting 28 mpg on my current V8 Silverado while all are 36 is pretty good, I was able to increase gas mileage on my 2016 F-150 by getting all four tires up to 41 psi.

I'm just getting used to it. Overall, it's nice and I haven't experienced the back end sliding again. The perfect storm might have caused it and I probably won't see that again. I did a little off-roading, it's actually more stable and ride was nicer than my previous F-150, but it could be due to the Z71 package.

I keep my fronts at 35 and rears at 33 cold. But my tires are wider by1” than the OEM tires and I don’t care ND MPG,  I do the chalk test to get the tread perfectly even across the ground.

I'd expect it to stay planted better. My front end really sticks to the ground, even better just about all pick-up trucks I've driven, but I just wish the rear end can do the same.

I'm thinking about getting tires down to 35 all around and will check into shocks. I am finding info on the best shocks in other forums so I'm all good. Thanks! :)

11 hours ago, the wanderer said:

Here's the thing; your story doesn't add up. The laws of physics are against you, since there is no way an inch of dry dirt, by itself, can possibly propel your truck in the manner you are claiming it did. Either the road was rougher than you remember, or you hit something you didn't notice was there, or you're exaggerating the effect.

Laws can be broken.  Even the laws of physics. *Gasp*

Please don't tell him that, he can't process that much information! It's too much, he'll only get confused. I keep repeating things and they don't get it!

10 hours ago, Wiggums said:

The others can speculate as much as they want [...]

lol but he ignores the reality that blaming his truck is pure speculation on his part.

11 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I think what most people are missing here is if he thought he was responsible he would probably say don’t do this because this will happen. If he was gassing to hard wouldn’t traction control intervene?

It's not about whether he thinks he is responsible, it's that he won't even consider the possibility that he *might* be.  That's a closed mind, not an open one that is trying to figure out what really happened.  That's why he won't be reasoned with and cannot be taken seriously.

On the traction control question I have to say I've been pretty surprised by it honestly.. it's way more permissive than I expected.  The BMW ASC/DSC systems are way more active and involved than this Silverado has been for me so far.  I've purposely caused mine to lose traction a few times and the light rarely comes on.  Still trying to get to know my truck and how it reacts.. gonna take a while longer and some more experimentation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wiggums said:

The ripples in the dirt were the perfect storm and it's probable I'll never experience that again. The front end stayed firmly on the ground while the back end jumped quite a few times and was a foot off. If people want to blame that on the driver, let them. They are being stupid on purpose. It was a straight road, mentioned that many times. I can keep repeating things here and people will still bring up things because they can't stand people disparaging their products. It's like watching a possum protect its trashcan.

So let's say you did hit the guy and were in court for misdemeanor death by motor vehicle or whatever they call it in CA. Would this still be your defense? I think you'd be found guilty, my friend. Then in the civil suit I can easily see contributory negligence all day long. I guess you would try and sue GM even though, at least on this forum, you are the only person to ever experience this "perfect storm" of driving through "a little dirt." I would hardly call it a "safety issue" as it has been stated numerous time, no one here has ever experienced the close encounter with the third kind like you did on that fateful day. Maybe you should write a book about it...

Edited by NCPGMC
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Wiggums said:

It's your prerogative to dismiss anything that insults your brand. You're clearly biased. Others offered solutions, you're accusing me of either lying or making it up.

I just said it as it is. The other truck I've driven was Ford which has never done that. I am not new to trucks but I can tell you this: I'm disappointed with the Silverado.

Suck it in, boy, you're a Chevy fanboy.

Yep

17 hours ago, Daverado said:

Sure, maybe it was the truck.  That's possible, albeit improbable given your inability to reproduce it.

Until you're willing to admit maybe you made a mistake though, no one is going to take you seriously.  Only when they take you seriously will people generally start to consider other possibilities, even just playing devil's advocate for fun.  That's just human nature.

As long as you keep insisting you couldn't possibly have made any mistake at all, you are showing that to be a serious flaw in your character.  It's a contradiction.

We can only hope......

• Haha 1

• txab locked this topic