In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

MPC Remote Start - Anyone used it before?

Has anyone used the plug and play kit from MPC for remote start? Reviews are mixed but I think my Tahoe would greatly benefit from this since I am up around 4:30am on most days and hate having to run out there to start it and use a second set of keys to lock it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OU3XDHU/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Or does anyone know of another company that is fairly easy to install? 

2 hours ago, SouthPawCO said:

Has anyone used the plug and play kit from MPC for remote start? Reviews are mixed but I think my Tahoe would greatly benefit from this since I am up around 4:30am on most days and hate having to run out there to start it and use a second set of keys to lock it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OU3XDHU/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Or does anyone know of another company that is fairly easy to install? 

I personally have not used it. I do however install the remote start kits A LOT and the one I will recommend is by far the easiest ( that I have installed ) and you don't have to use a different remote. The factory remote you have operates it.

This is a novice installation job. The instructions are fool proof and if you need any assistance, I can help you with it.  

Remote start kit - https://amzn.to/2FkSr2U

[DIY BASIC INSTALLATION KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENT] This is not a complete plug & play remote start kit. The installation of this product will still require limited wiring connections which we provide concise directions for. ** It is important to note at a minimum, a person with a basic knowledge of wiring car electronics should be able to install this product successfully. * Special Note - Our remote starts are ONLY compatible with AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS.

On 3/18/2019 at 9:44 PM, SouthPawCO said:

Interesting. I like the idea of using the factory remotes. I think you may have sold me on it for $120. 

Do they provide connectors or what do you recommend? 

Yeah, Everything to do the job is in the box.

that MPC to me looks like a rebranded command start, as long as they are in stalled properly they will work. Using the factory Key fobs are nice but your limited to the range of the factory key fobs, which is about 200 ft line of sight.  In 2003 is when gm switch to data communication, which mean you will want a data module that will control your locks and factory alarm as well as your pass lock security. You have plenty of options, i would stick with a known brand like viper/compustar/astrostart. I have compustar in my vehicles, just cause thats what i installed the most of. as for a integration module Idatalink works great. there are still some old modules out there that are made for you vehicle and don't need to be "flashed" to your vehicle, just wire up and they communicate. but the newer modules need to be "flashed" for your vehicle and you can't do that your self. 

On 3/22/2019 at 1:35 PM, Ak_grown said:

that MPC to me looks like a rebranded command start, as long as they are in stalled properly they will work. Using the factory Key fobs are nice but your limited to the range of the factory key fobs, which is about 200 ft line of sight.  In 2003 is when gm switch to data communication, which mean you will want a data module that will control your locks and factory alarm as well as your pass lock security. You have plenty of options, i would stick with a known brand like viper/compustar/astrostart. I have compustar in my vehicles, just cause thats what i installed the most of. as for a integration module Idatalink works great. there are still some old modules out there that are made for you vehicle and don't need to be "flashed" to your vehicle, just wire up and they communicate. but the newer modules need to be "flashed" for your vehicle and you can't do that your self. 

Gm didn't switch to data communication in 2003. They have hard data communication since 1982 and has had RFA since 1986. You can use any brand you want. Kinda like bluejeans. You can buy a $30m pair of levi's or a $300 pair of CK. Same pair of pants with a different tag.

To make it more understandable, GM uses data communication. For ease of the install, the use of a data module will make it ten times easier if he wants to tackle the job him self. The data module will control the power locks, factory alarm disarm and pass lock all in a few data wire connections, instead of tracking down individual wires, adding relays, and getting correct resistance for passlock integration. I guess my personal opinion aboot 1000ft range on a standard remote start feature over using the factory keyfob range of 200ft line of sight shouldn’t  sway the OPs decision.  I guess would you like skinny jeans or relax fit jeans? Maybe bootcut?

Basically he needs a bypass module. See picture below.

The Box on the left is The Flash link programmer which you will have to purchase separately but once you purchase it you can do installs for other people and anything about the newer Vehicles is they have t harnesses from about 2009 and up which is even more plug-in play. The Box on the right is the bypass module which it's an all-in-one Universal data bypass and interface module which will integrate with the door locks, the security system in the vehicle as the first person who replied mentioned. If you go right to this company's website they have another kit it comes flashed already that is one step down from the Evo all and will work.

There's a website you can go to it is called the12volt.com if I recollect properly and if you search for a post that I did Under dtnel or dtnel78 you can see what the gentleman replied to me with.

As long as you can read a wiring diagram, follow instructions, solder up electrical wiring so you have good connections then you shouldn't have any issues.

The good thing about Fortin is they give you a card in your bypass box which gives you 1 free download of the installation diagram for the bypass module showing the wires and if I recall correctly it has a diagram showing all the connections you'll need for various other options.

I've gotten into it so much that I have a lot of neighbors with newer Honda CRV vehicles, some with push-to-start, some with the key but there all going to have me get the kit and install it for them with the T harnesses this summer and it'll only take me a couple hours for vehicle. I will have to still do a few wire connections but most of it will be Plug and Play and it will cost me about $150 using the all-in-one remote start system that Fortin has and it integrates and uses the factory alarm system and I will be able to charge about $300 with less than $200 in total cost as I also have to get the T harnesses.

I have a local guy that I know who has a shop and if he's wanting to sell the equipment I can probably get it everything out the door for 150 / vehicle and he will make a profit off the parts and I'll still be able to install them quickly and they can use their factory remote or if you want to spend a little bit more money you can get a long-range one-way remote or a long-range 2-way remote that way you get confirmation that your vehicle has started.

I have an old RS 730 I can't remember the name brand off the top of my head that's in the other room in a box but I will enter great that into the bypass with the pictures that I put and have my own Standalone alarm with remote start.

Here's the website I was referring to.

I've also attached a screenshot of where the member is telling me about what I need. You cake read the whole thread if you like, create your own account, do searches, post, etc and find what works best for you.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=145187

AutoPage was the brand I have.

If you private message the guy I was speaking to in the Forum he was telling me how he does this for a living but said if you know what you're doing you can get the remote start and everything complete for less than $100 with that bypass as well that he mentions as long as it'll work for your vehicle, double check on that. I think I do recall him mentioning that he used idatalink but I think he also has access to a programmer in the system if that's what he does for a living or now that I think about it more the people who he orders from on eBay program them for him that way it's done and taken care of and if he has any issues they make it right.

Sorry so long I just wanted to get you the proper information and get you pointed in the right direction as some websites can be very more valuable than others and I found that website to be more valuable than this website for doing remote starts because that's what they focus on in the form of topic around.

Hope this is all been helpful for you and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask I just may take a while to respond because sometimes I mean that come in 4 days just like some days I don't check my email for days or even a week or two. Yeah that's bad I used to keep my email caught up now I have over 35,000 unread emails. If I could only just hit the delete all button like I used to but now I'm too integrated with everything anymore.

3cdbace206938ca7db9b1d8b1442a280.jpg475dc2ac7e2e717f7a411575e728f29d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The remote start kit I linked has everything you need for them to work. We keep them in stock at the dealership I work at for the simple fact it looks 100% better when you give the customer the remote that came with the vehicle. 

You can get any module you want. It doesn't matter to me. Mine was just a suggestion. It works, It literally takes less than 30 minutes to install. The instructions are for a 3 year old... and it works...

On 3/25/2019 at 5:15 AM, Ak_grown said:

To make it more understandable, GM uses data communication. For ease of the install, the use of a data module will make it ten times easier if he wants to tackle the job him self. The data module will control the power locks, factory alarm disarm and pass lock all in a few data wire connections, instead of tracking down individual wires, adding relays, and getting correct resistance for passlock integration. I guess my personal opinion aboot 1000ft range on a standard remote start feature over using the factory keyfob range of 200ft line of sight shouldn’t  sway the OPs decision.  I guess would you like skinny jeans or relax fit jeans? Maybe bootcut?

I guess I must be misunderstanding you still. GM uses data communications.... for what? From the BCM to the ECM to start the vehicle? There is a bypass and data module (i guess is what you're calling that main control module in the remote start I listed) in the remote start I listed? GM's Key fobs are not LOS. You can do it from inside your home... You don't have to have a direct line of sight to the vehicle. Also the remote start module has an integrated antenna which has it's own distance? Also, if you need more that 200ft just add the factory onstar module to your vehicle and open it from your phone at 1000 miles away.

Any system you get you are going to have to tap into the wiring of the truck. There are no relays in this system, you don't have to guess at any resistances,  You do have to track down wires but the instructions are crystal clear and you have to do that with EVERY remote start system.