Infotainment goes full brightness with rear backup camera on at night

On 4/7/2019 at 12:30 AM, Loco-diablo said:

Yup.. I had the fix applied to my 2017.
BIG improvement.. it’s a must for affected models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I applied the fix to mine the other day and it fixed it 100%.  It's now the way it should be.

I have a subscription to the programming software and was adding a new key and transmitter for the truck and while I was in there I was poking around for module updates and came across it.  

On 4/22/2019 at 3:30 AM, tbare54 said:

Paauto

Where did you get your subscription for software updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The programming software is from GM (same system the dealer uses).  The link to ACDelco is below.  You will need a subscription to the Vehicle Programming Software for one VIN (24 months for a total of $40).  This will allow you to update all the modules in your truck, modify the tire pressure thresholds, easily add/remove keys, and add the keyless entry pad to the truck.  Regarding the modules in the truck, GM updates them occasionally to address customer complaints or improve functionality.  It's very easy to scroll through each module and figure out if the truck has the latest software (I did that for the screen brightness as well as for the ECM/TCM updates).  It's a simple process to update modules.  Only takes a few minutes per module, depending on internet speeds.

Also available are subscriptions to diagnostics (GDS2) and the shop manual for the truck.  These are an additional cost to the $40 for the Programming Software.  One interesting and kind of odd thing - if you want to add or delete a remote transmitter, you do that through GDS2 and not through the Vehicle Programming Software.  I have no idea why, but it took me time to figure that out. 

Here's the link to the software:

https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions#

The catch to all of this is you need to have an interface to go between your PC and the OBD.  I purchased an interface from Drew Technologies (link below).  You'll want the MongoosePro II for GM.  It's a bit pricey at $495, but if you are going to be doing your own work on the truck (Programming or Diagnostics) it's great to have.  You'll need a modern/up to date Windows-based computer and a solid internet connection.  I program my truck with a Dell laptop that's on WiFi.  Never had a problem.

http://www.drewtech.com/mongoose/gm2.html

Hope that helps.

Edited by paauto

On 4/23/2019 at 8:32 AM, paauto said:

The programming software is from GM (same system the dealer uses).  The link to ACDelco is below.  You will need a subscription to the Vehicle Programming Software for one VIN (24 months for a total of $40).  This will allow you to update all the modules in your truck, modify the tire pressure thresholds, easily add/remove keys, and add the keyless entry pad to the truck.  Regarding the modules in the truck, GM updates them occasionally to address customer complaints or improve functionality.  It's very easy to scroll through each module and figure out if the truck has the latest software (I did that for the screen brightness as well as for the ECM/TCM updates).  It's a simple process to update modules.  Only takes a few minutes per module, depending on internet speeds.

Also available are subscriptions to diagnostics (GDS2) and the shop manual for the truck.  These are an additional cost to the $40 for the Programming Software.  One interesting and kind of odd thing - if you want to add or delete a remote transmitter, you do that through GDS2 and not through the Vehicle Programming Software.  I have no idea why, but it took me time to figure that out. 

Here's the link to the software:

https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions#

The catch to all of this is you need to have an interface to go between your PC and the OBD.  I purchased an interface from Drew Technologies (link below).  You'll want the MongoosePro II for GM.  It's a bit pricey at $495, but if you are going to be doing your own work on the truck (Programming or Diagnostics) it's great to have.  You'll need a modern/up to date Windows-based computer and a solid internet connection.  I program my truck with a Dell laptop that's on WiFi.  Never had a problem.

http://www.drewtech.com/mongoose/gm2.html

Hope that helps.

I took my 2019 Sierra Denali in for the screen brightness, full brightness in reverse at night and washed out dull gray overall screen to my local dealer today.  I was told there is no fix for it just yet. They said that they called GM and requested assistance but were told there is nothing for it yet. When I got home I called GM corporate # asking about this and was told the same thing nothing yet. Enough people have to complain in order for them do do something ( software update ) 

Unless they just wanted to get rid of me. But I was told no fix for now.

If this is not true can you please respond.

Thank you 

9 hours ago, VGZPRT said:

I took my 2019 Sierra Denali in for the screen brightness, full brightness in reverse at night and washed out dull gray overall screen to my local dealer today.  I was told there is no fix for it just yet. They said that they called GM and requested assistance but were told there is nothing for it yet. When I got home I called GM corporate # asking about this and was told the same thing nothing yet. Enough people have to complain in order for them do do something ( software update ) 

Unless they just wanted to get rid of me. But I was told no fix for now.

If this is not true can you please respond.

Thank you 

Your 2019 may already have the updated software in it.  You can check what you have by going to this GM website and inputting your VIN.  Navigate to "Radio Controls" and see what you find.  

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

Your truck should have the 84396836 update in it (see the second PDF below to get a sense of what you're looking for - this is a screenshot of my truck's current radio calibrations using the website above).  If your truck doesn't have this update, take it back to the dealer and have them flash the radio for this update.

The attached bulletin is for 2017-2018 trucks to address the problem.  You may want to show them this.

17-NA-269.pdf

Radio Controls.pdf

Edited by paauto

One thing that makes mine worse is that the truck is white. The bottom 1/4 of the screen lights up bright white because it shows a little of the tailgate, if the truck was a dark color, it wouldn't be as bad.

13 hours ago, 383 said:

One thing that makes mine worse is that the truck is white. The bottom 1/4 of the screen lights up bright white because it shows a little of the tailgate, if the truck was a dark color, it wouldn't be as bad.

You might want to try some electric tape on the bottom portion of the camera and see if that helps block the tailgate.

• 1 month later...

My truck is back at the shop and the service manager is trying to get it resolved with GM's help. They had it for a week now and still no thing new. Tried to reprogram tried to change out some module. No good still the same. If they fix it ill post what was done. 

thanks 

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2019 at 8:15 PM, VGZPRT said:

My truck is back at the shop and the service manager is trying to get it resolved with GM's help. They had it for a week now and still no thing new. Tried to reprogram tried to change out some module. No good still the same. If they fix it ill post what was done. 

thanks 

Hot my Truck a while back nothing the dealerskie can do  they say it’s working as designed. So I tinted the screen and it’s ok not good not $70k good but it will do.

By far the worst service experience I have ever had is with GMC dealership service. They never disappoint me in their attentiveness and willingness to address customers issues. Very poor service not because they can’t fix the problems with the vehicle it’s the approach they use which is very poor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any change to this? I am also just having trouble with the back up lights not lighting up the curve so I have banked my rims a few times already. I already replaced the lights to LED to see if that would help but nope. Any one have the same issue and have a fix for this? 

Same annoying issue with my 2019 AT4 with 360-cameras.  The auto-dim side-view mirrors make things even worse at night.  The dash light dimmer buttons do adjust the screen brightness too, but it is not enough.  Between the tinted side-view mirrors, tinted rear glass, dark outdoors, and bright screen, it is difficult and unnecessarily annoying trying to back up, particularly if I'm backing up with a trailer and need to look way down the side of the vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...