Gas Mileage on 5.3 V8 engine on a 4x4

I don't know what kind of driving conditions you have where you are to get 28 mpg , I would guess you got them on the highway driving well under 70 mph.  Where I live in the burbs there is a lot of stop n go driving , stop sighs on top of stop signs , red lights every where. I get a measly 11 to 12 mpg .

On the highway if I drive under 70 I'll get 20 mpg plus

Edited by towdog333

1 hour ago, towdog333 said:

I don't what kind of driving conditions you have where you are to get 28 mpg , I would guess you got them on the highway driving well under 70 mph.  Where I live in the burbs there is a lot of stop n go driving , stop sighs on top of stop signs , red lights every where. I get a measly 11 to 12 mpg .

On the highway if I drive under 70 I'll get 20 mpg plus

It was going 50 to 60 mph on a flat surface. I am still impressed with 28 mpg, my F-150 could do only 20 mpg. I don't really miss the 36-gallon tank. I drive from Mexicali to Hermosillo a lot and was happy to see that a 500-mile trip is easily possible without refilling.

For some who were disappointed to see that Silverado's gas mileage actually decreased...  according to the EPA...

EPA numbers are a joke. My Benz supposedly had 28 and I could barely reach it. My Silverado supposedly gets 22 highway, I'm easily going over that. I haven't driven the previous generation but my friend owns one. He isn't into hypermiling and said the EPA numbers were a little too optimistic. I never rode in his truck so I am unable to tell. Also, the previous generation's DIC is a little iffy with users reporting it being off by a mpg or two.

39 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

@Wiggums- Are you measuring in US Gal? Canadian gallons are not the same thing, I see BC in your location (British Columbia?).

BC is Baja California, Mexico. I can see how you'd get confused. My truck shows mpg so I know it's American gallons. Canadians measure it the same way as the Mexicans - how many litres per 100 kilometers. Sometimes Mexicans do kilometre per litre. The British still use miles per gallon with the bigger gallon than ours. I've been all over the world so I'm pretty well-versed in that department. So, yes, it was 28 American miles per American gallon.

Edited by Wiggums
  • Like 1

I had 2014 LT for almost 5 years. Now I have 2019 LTZ. Both 5.3 2WD. I can see the new one has worse gas mileage. On the 14th I could go easily with 25 mpg. With this one I'm in 22s. I'm mainly driving in freeways with 60mph. 

The only thing I can see is GM that screwed up with this DFM. Previous AFM with 6 speed transmission was more efficient and sharper than this one with 8 speed. 

By the way, I have over 4000 miles on her and the axel ratio is 3.23.

Edited by AMPRG
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

@Wiggums- Are you measuring in US Gal? Canadian gallons are not the same thing, I see BC in your location (British Columbia?).

I'm pretty sure us Canucks use the same definition of MPG as Americans do. I know the UK has a different gallon than America, and so their MPG is always higher for the same car/truck, but when we talk in Canada about MPG it's always using the US version.

I just did about a 300 mile trip and I was getting 23 MPG, my best being 25.8 so far.   Around town I can get 17 -18 on a regular basis.   I have about 1500 miles on mine with the 6.2.   I think DFM must be working to some extent.   I drive it like normal though, go with the flow traffic and some stomping on the gas when I need to get around that Prius that's going too slow for me.   I can see getting 500 miles a tank easy if you were driving long distances.  

• Like 1

I just don't get it. I've never gotten over 17.9 mpg hand calculated. I've got about 2400 miles on the truck and my only heartburn is the mileage. Truck is a 2019 Denali 4wd 5.3L  3.23 gears. I drive extremely easy. The area I live in is rolling hills with a small percentage of city driving.  I just find it amazing that folks are getting in the lower to mid 20s. My previous two trucks were F150 Ecoboosts that were somewhat more efficient than this GM.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CmackR56 said:

I just don't get it. I've never gotten over 17.9 mpg hand calculated. I've got about 2400 miles on the truck and my only heartburn is the mileage. Truck is a 2019 Denali 4wd 5.3L  3.23 gears. I drive extremely easy. The area I live in is rolling hills with a small percentage of city driving.  I just find it amazing that folks are getting in the lower to mid 20s. My previous two trucks were F150 Ecoboosts that were somewhat more efficient than this GM.

Well, there are couple of parameters that you should consider:

1) size of your tires should be 22" vs my 20"

2) if you are in higher elevations, like Colorado, your mpg should be worse vs Eccoboost. 

3) using the gas lower than 87

4) driving in sport mode will make the mpg to get worse 

5) keeping the windows down and sunroof open in freeways. 

6) usually 4x4 has lower mpg compare to 2WD. Mine is 2WD. 

7) I believe Denali is heavier than Silverado LTZ which is mine

By the way, no one buy the truck for mpg ?

Edited by AMPRG

39 minutes ago, AMPRG said:

Well, there are couple of parameters that you should consider:

1) size of your tires should be 22" vs my 20"

2) if you are in higher elevations, like Colorado, your mpg should be worse vs Eccoboost. 

3) using the gas lower than 87

4) driving in sport mode will make the mpg to get worse 

5) keeping the windows down and sunroof open in freeways. 

6) usually 4x4 has lower mpg compare to 2WD. Mine is 2WD. 

7) I believe Denali is heavier than Silverado LTZ which is mine

By the way, no one buy the truck for mpg ?

I'm running 275/60/20 Goodyear Wrangler TA

Operate vehicle @ 131' above sea level

Run 87 octane and occasionally 92

Never run in sport mode

Windows always up

As you said, didn't buy the truck for mileage, was simply curious that so many folks were getting much higher mileage numbers. I drive specifically for economy. When I'm alone I use many hypermiling techniques. I normally got 4-6 mpg better than my wife in the ecoboost trucks, not so much in this one.

• Like 1

Some cars are immune to my hypermiling techniques.. especially the Benz and Isuzu Trooper which I owned back in 2001. The company car Toyota Yaris was the worst! EPA said 37, I was lucky to get 33 going 50 mph from L.A. to El Centro, a 250-mile drive on a mostly flat surface! Horrible car!

I haven't really driven the Silverado much to draw a conclusion but my 2012 F-150 V8 responded well to my hypermiling while the 2016 F-150 V8 didn't. I suspect it was the shell. Haven't driven the Ecoboost much so I wouldn't know that.

I did get 28 mpg going from Riverside to San Juan Capistrano including a drive up to 2,800 feet through the Ortega Highway 74 then it was downhill from that point. Since my range was for 50 miles, I'm sure that part was included.

I am impressed so far. I am surprised you got 17.9 mpg. My overall gas mileage on the computer is 20.7 right now with about 1/3 city driving, 1/3 bumper to bumper traffic, and 1/3 going 65 mph.

12 hours ago, CmackR56 said:

I drive specifically for economy. When I'm alone I use many hypermiling techniques. I normally got 4-6 mpg better than my wife in the ecoboost trucks, not so much in this one.

You're in Texas, isn't the speed limit 85?  Just throwing in ideas here... Even a 10% increase in speed could take out 25% in gas mileage, especially at higher speeds.

On 3/28/2019 at 11:41 AM, Wiggums said:

You're in Texas, isn't the speed limit 85?  Just throwing in ideas here... Even a 10% increase in speed could take out 25% in gas mileage, especially at higher speeds.

Nope to the 85 mph. I seldom break 70. Just completed a 480 mile trip towing a 3700 lb bass boat. Hand calculated to 13.2 mpg. Rolling hills of East Texas probably averaged 68 mph on the highway. My 2004 Yukon XL 5.3L 3.73 rear averaged 13.6 towing the same boat. The Denali tows with far more ease than my old Yukon ever did and surprisingly enough it seems to tow as well as my ecoboosts did, actually better than my 2012 did. There is no comparison to the 2018 Yukon XL I had, that was the weakest, most ill handling vehicle I've had the displeasure of owning.

• Like 1