license plate fee

redsled2007

South Dakota tags for Clyde are $118, and have been since I titled him there (Mom worked in Pierre at the time, and Dad cosigned the loan).

Wyoming looks like it could run from $329 to $400, depending on what values are used. I wounder if I can use actual weight and what I paid? :lol:

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2019 at 2:16 AM, Colossus said:

Here is what the folks in Denver get to deal with:

Sales tax is calculated on the net purchase price (which is the total purchase price less the amount allowed by a dealer for any trade-in). The rate of tax for Denver County residents is as follows:

Sales Tax  Rate
Colorado State Tax 2.90%
RTD Tax 1.10% 
Denver City Tax  4.31%
Total Sales Tax 8.31%

this blew me away when I moved to Colorado... 

I forgot to mention something that OK has running as a government backed scam, I couldn't believe it was real.

Oklahoma has a majestic book of values it is based on, that excludes any condition or the mileage. That is what you are taxed on for the registration fees. Some of you may remember the Z28 I had a few years ago and the rant that went with the purchase. It had 282k miles and a disgusting interior, bought to be a track car. I paid like 3000 something for it, and when I went to register, they say, oh, that's more than 20% off book value, so that(the mystical book value) is what you will be charged. Book value was like 6k. So I was taxed for 6k.  If your purchase price is so far off the "book", you get charged the book, even if you have a bill of sale or invoice with price. They said it doesn't matter if it's destroyed and has a million miles, you pay what the state decided it is worth. 

Edited by SnakeEyeSS

1 hour ago, SnakeEyeSS said:

I forgot to mention something that OK has running as a government backed scam, I couldn't believe it was real.

Oklahoma has a majestic book of values it is based on, that excludes any condition or the mileage. That is what you are taxed on for the registration fees. Some of you may remember the Z28 I had a few years ago and the rant that went with the purchase. It had 282k miles and a disgusting interior, bought to be a track car. I paid like 3000 something for it, and when I went to register, they say, oh, that's more than 20% off book value, so that(the mystical book value) is what you will be charged. Book value was like 6k. So I was taxed for 6k.  If your purchase price is so far off the "book", you get charged the book, even if you have a bill of sale or invoice with price. They said it doesn't matter if it's destroyed and has a million miles, you pay what the state decided it is worth. 

I titled my use 76 Corvette in Utah in like 1980 and was charged full NEW MSRP for sales and registration. Reason given was Luxury Tax on certain cars and Corvettes were one of those cars. 

4 hours ago, Paintor said:

If the Statute of Limitations has not expired, Have a lawyer go after them. State pays lawyer fees...you get your money back.

Next time pick a track car that qualifies for the antique plates to screw the State.

The state law was rigged like that to get around the lower fees compared to other states.  Suing over your tax rate? That won't end well. 

Anyway, I got my tribal citizenship so I pay those fees now instead. 

Edited by SnakeEyeSS
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
$164.69 for my 2009 3500HD here in Florida.  Pretty much any modern fullsize pickup have tags that expire in December and cars go by birth month of the owner.  Tags use vehicle gross I believe, my tag did go up from my '06 2500HD to the 2009 3500.  Then again everything seems to go up almost every year anyway.  If you want exact #s I can probably search my emails for the receipts.
Is that for 1 year?

My 1500 was $80-something for a year, with the option for 2 years at 2x cost (no savings).

The pricing isn't quite based solely on weight. You can have a 6800 pound Suburban and still pay the same as a small car. The weight thing applies specifically to pickup trucks. If you are under 5,000 pounds, you pay the normal rate. Above 5,000, you start paying the higher "Heavy Truck" rates and expiration is always 12/31.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Alberta does charge more, at least for commercial plates, based on the vehicles weight rating.

California goes by weight to consider it a commercial vehicle. I just paid $586 for 1 year registration renewal. 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will figure a way to tax gas autos/trucks out of exitance

re;

Pricing
Destination Charge $995.00
Installed Options
  • Shock $395.00
  • Audio system, Chevrolet Infotainment 3 Premium system with connected Navigation, 8" diagonal HD color touchscreen, AM/FM stereo $495.00
  • Transmission, 10-speed automatic $1,595.00
  • Gas guzzler tax $2,100.00
  •  
Total Options $4,585.00
MSRP* $73,580.00

10 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Is that for 1 year?

My 1500 was $80-something for a year, with the option for 2 years at 2x cost (no savings).

The pricing isn't quite based solely on weight. You can have a 6800 pound Suburban and still pay the same as a small car. The weight thing applies specifically to pickup trucks. If you are under 5,000 pounds, you pay the normal rate. Above 5,000, you start paying the higher "Heavy Truck" rates and expiration is always 12/31.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Yeah that's for a year.  I too get no discount on paying 2 years vs 1 year.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/fees/  shows the base fees and how they're calculated.