IMPORTANT: READ YOUR MANUAL!

How many 2019 GM truck owners following this forum have actually read their manuals? Not just a section here or there, but the entire manual? 

I am wondering this because I have been following the new generation of GM trucks since the first announcements were made. I read many rave reviews, and watched all the online reviews and comparisons on the new trucks prior to placing an order during the 1st week of December. As time passed, and the new trucks were rolling out of the dealership doors in large numbers, more & more "issues/problems" started to pop up in the forums. 

These trucks are sophisticated well beyond any previous generations. The systems in my loaded '15 Camaro SS pale in comparison to what's in these new trucks. Our '19 LTZ CC with 6.2, 10-speed, Max Towing, Performance Upgrade, and Trailering Camera packages is due in this week, but I downloaded an owners manual from the Chevrolet website so that I could start to familiarize myself with how everything worked. The Chevy & GMC websites also have many instructional videos that show you just how everything works, and how different systems integrate with each other.

Much to my surprise, at least 2/3rds of the forum complaints with the new truck can be attributed to owners being unfamiliar with systems and settings. In many cases, the owner has a choice of what systems they want operational, and several choices of how they want them to function. Many of the ERROR messages were simply due to owners not following the instructions in the OM. What made things even worse was their dealer being just as unfamiliar, trying to troubleshoot a "problem" that wasn't a problem, just simply operational ignorance on the part of the owner and their dealership. Maybe GM should have stepped up their dealer training, and dealerships should step up their customer training. One dealer near us holds monthly new vehicle training sessions.

The new trucks have also had their share of genuine issues, but a thorough understanding of the manual may have helped some of those owners to better understand how each system is supposed to operate, which may help the dealer troubleshoot the problem. These trucks are much closer to the Jetsons than the Flintstones.

BEST OF LUCK WITH YOU NEW TRUCKS!

• Like 1

Ha Ha

Me and my brother in law have a standing joke about people reading the owners manual for anything they purchase. 

Used to work in retail sales and the number of people that would call or drive to the store for info that was in the owners manual was crazy.

:)

I learned it the hard way when I was in the 5th floor of an apartment showing my friends how I could roll down my windows with the remote and realized it didn't go back up. The manual neglected to mention that....

The same day I bought it, I literally went through the options menu and even knew about that window down feature. Learned that the default is off.. and that I had to turn it on.. due to liability issues. Can't blame Chevrolet.

I downloaded the manual in PDF and it's in my phone. I did the same with all the other cars I've bought. Yes, very sophisticated, no doubt. The My Chevrolet was the most complicated and it irks me when nighttime driving got my insurance score down. That stung! I had it at a perfect 100 for nearly 250 miles.

• Sad 1

Yes.  Read the manual.  

It's also my first stop if I have a question or problem with the truck.  

My next stop is Google or the search function on this website. When that fails I will post a question. 

I hate looking/sounding like a jack ass although I still end up doing it from time to time. :uhoh:

47 minutes ago, Jack D said:

How many 2019 GM truck owners following this forum have actually read their manuals? Not just a section here or there, but the entire manual? 

I am wondering this because I have been following the new generation of GM trucks since the first announcements were made. I read many rave reviews, and watched all the online reviews and comparisons on the new trucks prior to placing an order during the 1st week of December. As time passed, and the new trucks were rolling out of the dealership doors in large numbers, more & more "issues/problems" started to pop up in the forums. 

These trucks are sophisticated well beyond any previous generations. The systems in my loaded '15 Camaro SS pale in comparison to what's in these new trucks. Our '19 LTZ CC with 6.2, 10-speed, Max Towing, Performance Upgrade, and Trailering Camera packages is due in this week, but I downloaded an owners manual from the Chevrolet website so that I could start to familiarize myself with how everything worked. The Chevy & GMC websites also have many instructional videos that show you just how everything works, and how different systems integrate with each other.

Much to my surprise, at least 2/3rds of the forum complaints with the new truck can be attributed to owners being unfamiliar with systems and settings. In many cases, the owner has a choice of what systems they want operational, and several choices of how they want them to function. Many of the ERROR messages were simply due to owners not following the instructions in the OM. What made things even worse was their dealer being just as unfamiliar, trying to troubleshoot a "problem" that wasn't a problem, just simply operational ignorance on the part of the owner and their dealership. Maybe GM should have stepped up their dealer training, and dealerships should step up their customer training. One dealer near us holds monthly new vehicle training sessions.

The new trucks have also had their share of genuine issues, but a thorough understanding of the manual may have helped some of those owners to better understand how each system is supposed to operate, which may help the dealer troubleshoot the problem. These trucks are much closer to the Jetsons than the Flintstones.

BEST OF LUCK WITH YOU NEW TRUCKS!

aka RTFM.  When I've had my GM vehicles in for service at the dealer and was sitting in their waiting room, the Sales and Service staff have come to get me before to look at features they/customers couldn't figure out.  Yes, I am a car freak and read every car magazine and online content.  And I am one to RTFM before I operate something.  But it is still amazing/depressing/very troubling to me that there are people who have worked for dealerships for years have never read the manuals.  And that somebody would pay $75K+ for a new vehicle and drive it for years without using 75% of the features.  They'd have been better off getting a simpler, less expensive vehicle.  But all that being said, I've gotten my car back from service with the radio presets changed to Mexican radio stations before, so SOMEBODY back there knows how to do some of that stuff.   

Edited by MaverickZ71

7 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

But all that being said, I've gotten my car back from service with the radio presets changed to Mexican radio stations before, so SOMEBODY back there knows how to do some of that stuff.   

Couple weeks ago I got mine back with two unknown phones added to the infotainment system.  

Had to laugh. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

But it is still amazing/depressing/very troubling to me that there are people who have worked for dealerships for years have never read the manuals.  And that somebody would pay $75K+ for a new vehicle and drive it for years without using 75% of the features.  They'd have been better off getting a simpler, less expensive vehicle.

Agree 100%! I even browsed the manual while shopping online. Researched the 19’s inside and out before heading to the dealership and knew exactly what options were a must for me. The salesman tried to steer me to an LTZ instead of the High Country I wanted early on during negotiations, and when I told him it didn’t have a few of the options I wanted, he insisted it did. When I asked him to go out and verify that (knowing for sure he was wrong), he came back with a sheepish look and said I was right. The owner of the dealership chimed in and asked if i wanted a job... loved it! lol 

For me, the best part of buying a new vehicle is getting to know all of the features that add to your comfort and enhance the driving experience.

Edited by jz777
  • Like 1

Aside from the manual, a new vehicle owner should be able to rely on his/her dealer to be knowledgeable and informed about the model they are purchasing.

This can cut to the chase when consumer questions arise pertaining to the car/ truck.

Unfortunately, most dealers I have encountered fail miserably at this knowledge regardless of brand.

Agreed! The next generation of trucks will require you to go to night school for three months, so that you completely understand how to operate the thrusters. LOL Like the commercial used to say, "They're not your father's Oldsmobile."

Unfortunately the glitches I’ve had cannot be attributed to operator error or not reading the manual.

Either way, I swear the sales people are only trained in doing the OnStar “initiation” (to sell you more junk) and linking up your cellphone’s Bluetooth. Those have been the only consistencies when buying my trucks. If you want to learn how to do anything more than that, read the book because they don’t know!

9 hours ago, fish_guru said:

Couple weeks ago I got mine back with two unknown phones added to the infotainment system.  

Had to laugh. 

That's why when I get service done, I put my infotainment in Valet mode.. they hate that.. :D They wanted me to give them my code over the phone when they did my oil change so they can reset it, I told them it's ok, I can do that no problem.

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

Unfortunately the glitches I’ve had cannot be attributed to operator error or not reading the manual.

Either way, I swear the sales people are only trained in doing the OnStar “initiation” (to sell you more junk) and linking up your cellphone’s Bluetooth. Those have been the only consistencies when buying my trucks. If you want to learn how to do anything more than that, read the book because they don’t know!

I got lucky, the sales people I had wanted to sit in the truck with me while I was waiting my turn to do  paperwork, so they can go over the features of the truck. They even wanted to show me how to use the trailer break 'feature'. I told them it was ok, I was going to spend a couple hours in the truck once I got home anyways to mess with everything.. :D