Best proformance muffle to put in 2019 Silverado to give it some good sound and.... go?

I just bought a 2019 Silverado RST 5.3l. My last truck was a 2017 Silverado 5.3l and I hated the drone sound when the AFM kicked in. Has anyone noticed if this is still a problem with the new DFM? My local muffler guy recommended a Magnaflow muffler that works well with reducing the potential drone sound in these new Silverados.

Thoughts?

Edited by BlackBeard1790

I just bought a 2019 Silverado RST 5.3l. My last truck was a 2017 Silverado 5.3l and I hated the drone sound when the AFM kicked in. Has anyone noticed if this is still a problem with the new DFM? My local muffler guy recommended a Magnaflow muffler that works well with reducing the potential drone sound in these new Silverados.

Thoughts?
I installed a muffler similar to the magnaflow and I get zero drone. I still have the flapper valve and exhaust screens so that might help but others who have taken those out have said they dont get any drone either. I feel confident you won't get any drone no matter what muffler you go with.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, JR09country said:

I installed a muffler similar to the magnaflow and I get zero drone. I still have the flapper valve and exhaust screens so that might help but others who have taken those out have said they dont get any drone either. I feel confident you won't get any drone no matter what muffler you go with.

Did you just swap the muffler out? Did you stick with the single exit or is it dual? How does it sound? Sorry for the question parade...

On 4/10/2019 at 6:11 PM, Limelight said:

I’m noticing the exact same thing with my Magnaflow. With the resonators covered it’s what I expected.  Leaving them uncovered I only hear the exhaust under hard acceleration. 

Do you still have the flappers installed or did you have them removed too?

2 hours ago, BlackBeard1790 said:

Do you still have the flappers installed or did you have them removed too?

I had one flapper and it was removed. 

Now that the exhaust has been in there awhile and “settled” I really really like it. I have my resonator mesh screens all covered too.

I have no drone, can always hear it a little bit and when I get on it the sound is fantastic!

I only wish the idle once warmed up was a tad louder.  

Very happy with it. 

8 minutes ago, Limelight said:

I had one flapper and it was removed. 

Now that the exhaust has been in there awhile and “settled” I really really like it. I have my resonator mesh screens all covered too.

I have no drone, can always hear it a little bit and when I get on it the sound is fantastic!

I only wish the idle once warmed up was a tad louder.  

Very happy with it. 

Awesome! Thanks for the reply.

Did you just swap the muffler out? Did you stick with the single exit or is it dual? How does it sound? Sorry for the question parade...
Yes i just had the muffler swapped out. I kept the factory dual, i am happy with the sound, not loud at all but exactly what i wanted. If you want it louder I would get the screens covered up if you have the factory duals and remove the flapper.

Update:

I went to my local muffler shop and spoke to the expert there. I went with a straight through Magnaflow Muffler, single in and dual out with a split rear exit. 16” black polished stainless 3.5” tips. Removed the flapper and he installed all new tail pipes so, no resonator vents. He claims that nearly any straight through muffler should greatly reduce any drone. It’s the mufflers that aren’t straight through that cause heavy drone when the fuel management kicks in. Anyways, the Magnaflow sounds great. Not too loud, but an awesome deep growl when you accelerate. No drone at all. With a fully welded exhaust, new muffler and tips, I was $550 out the door.  Here are some clips:

Cold Start:

Accelerating and Cruising:

5E9941B7-4F2A-4C4D-A44D-442E1D0F742F.jpeg

Edited by BlackBeard1790
Adding a picture
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 4:09 PM, Blakewebber said:

Looking to put proformance muffler on my 2019 trail boss, it comes with the “dule” exhaust, any suggestions which one to go with to give it a little something that I feel like it’s lacking. Had dule magnaflow on 2008 gmc slt, that was great. Any thoughts would help 

In my opinion either magnaflow or Borla. It comes down to personal preference and cash flow but i will be putting one of these mufflers on my 2019 trail boss.

On 4/10/2019 at 5:11 PM, Limelight said:

I’m noticing the exact same thing with my Magnaflow. With the resonators covered it’s what I expected.  Leaving them uncovered I only hear the exhaust under hard acceleration. 

What is everyone covering them with???