Anyone regret standard size bed vs short?

I specifically wanted a crew cab standard bed.  I have 2 kids in carseats and knew by my brother's double cab that wasnt going to work.  When I tow my racecar to the track I used to have to fold the middle seats down in my Yukon XL and remove the 3rd row to get all my gear, spares, food, tools, etc in.  A short bed was not going to be long enough. If you learn to back in to spots and use your mirrors, tighter spaces like parking garages and such are not a big deal.  Backing into a spot is easier going in as well as leaving with the longer wheelbase.  If you try to nose into a spot it may take several attempts to get it straight.  I have zero regrets or complaints about mine. Love it!

Edited by Kubs
  • Like 2

I had both now have the shorter bed but it is not making much of a difference. Really no big deal if the tail gate is down. Anything bigger would be go on my trailer anyways.

Just if you garage park make sure you check things Long box Crews are also longer.  I had double Cabs and the crew cab  short box now because they are basically the same frame and length. I coulsn't park the truck you are looking at in my garage it's actually 1 inch from fitting with the bumper touching the back wall lol.

So as you can tell i brought one home and checked it out back in 2014 ha ha.

• Like 2

I moved from a midsize extended cab, to a full size double cab.  I was concerned about the longer, wider truck being a pain to park.  Honestly though, tight parking spots are simply not a common problem for me.  Most places I go, have large parking lots, so the only change, is I don't try to cram the big truck into spots close to the entrances.  I typically park farther away, often with no vehicles on either side.  When I do need to wedge into a parking garage, or other tight spot, the backup camera is very helpful for making sure I've backed into the spot as far as possible. 

Most days, a short bed would not be a problem either, but I do sometimes use all the bed space I have, so I'm very happy to have the standard bed. 

I will admit, the crew cab standard bed takes it up another level, and does look a little intimidating.  It would have been a dramatic change for me from a midsize truck.  But, after living with my double cab Sierra for a few months, I would definitely consider the crew cab standard bed, if I needed to move to a crew cab. 

• Like 1

Crew cab with standard bed is the perfect setup if you ask me. When I bought mine they only had two of them on the lot.

They had over 100 Crew cab Shorty's so yes they are sort of rare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would love the added space of the 6.5' bed for road trips and cargo carrying but I would hate it the other 90% of the time driving around town and having to perpendicular park.

Driving trucks for so many years it’s actually no different from parking a short bed. You sorta get really good at driving anything truck related cause it’s like you now speak “TRUCK” lol

Sent from above
  • Like 3

Ford and subsequently GM extended cabs with 8' boxes were very popular family vehicles in the 80's and 90's.  The current crewcabs with the 6.5' box have only a slightly shorter wheel base than these previous large family haulers.  The overall length of these vehicles in just shy of 20' which seems to be a magic number for many parking situations.  Living on an island ferry travel is unavoidable.  Vehicles under 20'  are in their own rate class.  A front "push bumper" would technically put me into a different rate class, just as roof racks will make me an overheight!  I have not found a parking lot/facility that wasn't designed to accommodate my CC std, bed.  My '09 was a CC short bed and I found no parking or driving advantage to the shorter wheelbase.  I also say "grab it"!

Edited by Donstar
overweight s/b overheight

Ford and subsequently GM extended cabs with 8' boxes were very popular family vehicles in the 80's and 90's.  The current crewcabs with the 6.5' box have only a slightly shorter wheel base than these previous large family haulers.  The overall length of these vehicles in just shy of 20' which seems to be a magic number for many parking situations.  Living on an island ferry travel is unavoidable.  Vehicles under 20'  are in their own rate class.  A front "push bumper" would technically put me into a different rate class, just as roof racks will make me an overweight!  I have not found a parking lot/facility that wasn't designed to accommodate my CC std, bed.  My '09 was a CC short bed and I found no parking or driving advantage to the shorter wheelbase.  I also say "grab it"!

That all depends in what country an extended cab long bed was actually hauling a “family” in lol.

Sent from above

Most short bed owners wish for a longer bed at one time or another, most long bed owners never wish for a short bed unless it is a parking issue. I have CC with short bed b/c could not find long bed with features/options I wanted, and now my bed is wider than it is long, very square looking. 

• Like 1

My 2¢ - it was more important for me to get a longer bed, so I purchased a DC w/ the 6.5' bed.  I rarely carry anyone in the back seat (other than my coonhound), but I need the bed space versus cab space.

I told my wife the other day- as soon as both my kids have driver's licences, I'm selling my truck and going back to a regular cab 8' bed. She laughed. But I was serious. But for the next 13.5 years and counting, my CC short bed works OK. I have a trailer for when I need more room.

It really comes down to garage. I could NOT fit a CC standard bed in my current garage. The new house, it shouldn't be an issue. If parking doesn't bother you, then there isn't any other downside to more bed.

• Like 2

I specifically chose to NOT have the long bed.  Dealer had my exact truck in a long bed for a couple hundred more.  I did not buy it because

- Short beds are already damn long and stick out of parking spaces

- Long bed has a harder resale regardless of what is said in this thread

- Short bed looks better

• Haha 2

Just for the record guys GM has a short, standard and long bed.  OP is talking about the 6.5" standard bed not the 8' bed

Long beds keep getting mentioned and Ive never met anybody that had a long bed and didn't immediately regret their purchase.  That's a total of only two people lol!  Long beds are stupid and look even more stupid