E85 2016 Silverado Reg Cab 6spd 4x4 5.3 upgrade

Been putting the parts together to allow my truck to run E85.  I want to use as many original GM parts as possible.  I am not going to replace the line from the Flex Fuel Sensor to the Engine, instead I will Cut, Bend and Flare the original line and it should look factory.  I have my HP tuners ready to go with the E85 settings identified.   On the Regular Cab I did identify a unique part number for the Fuel Filler Hose, so I will be replacing that as well.

Here is the complete list of numbers for the V8 model I have identified, including the line I will not be replacing.

23171537 - Engine Fuel Line - for V8

23171534 - Flex Fuel Sensor Rear line

23171535 - Flex Fuel Sensor Front line

23212447 - e85 filler hose

13577429 - Flex Fuel Sensor

20967866 - Flex fuel Sensor Clip

GT359 - Flex Fuel Cap

P_20190319_130629.jpg

P_20190320_220501.jpg

Edited by SCR71822
  • Like 1

Find me a flex fuel truck is what I'd say. Hardly any 5.3 trucks actually come with flex fuel from the factory after 2015-2016. Yes there are some but the vast majority are not. My 2016 is disabled from the factory.

Most installs can be done for under $100 if you piece it together right.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ezb58gNGJRk&feature=youtu.be

I installed my flex fuel sensor using this method on my 2015 6.2.

Parts cost me $55.00 total and about 1 hour to install.

I will be getting it tuned to enable it next weekend.

Edited by Fishbait
Spelling
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

... Wouldn't it have been easier to buy an E85 truck to begin?

I've only used E85 3 times. Most often I buy mid-grade (89-91 Octane) and it works fine. E85 mileage sucks. Sure, it runs a little stronger. But not enough to seek it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

When I bought this truck off the lot it was late 2016, and it was discounted $7000 under sticker.  It  is regular cab which is actually pretty rare with the Black Out Edition as well.   Sometimes you don't get to choose the exact options you want, especially when you are not ordering the truck.  My truck is still under warranty and I want it to look factory.  Those parts total less than $100 off of Rock Auto.

P_20180701_145105.jpg

Edited by SCR71822

11 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

I've only used E85 3 times. Most often I buy mid-grade (89-91 Octane) and it works fine. E85 mileage sucks. Sure, it runs a little stronger. But not enough to seek it out.

The E85 debate involves More than the "mileage sucks" train of thought.

One of the biggest reasons for running E85 in my book is reduced carbon deposit buildup.

No more black soot out of the tailpipe compared to standard fuel.

The 2mpg drop I experience is still well worth it to me considering right now E85 is nearly $1per gallon less than 89 octane.

So, the factual evened out lower cost vs. slight mpg loss is negated when the Benefit of more power and a cleaner engine is the end result IMHO :thumbs:

Not to mention the transmission shifts like butter and AFM seems to prefer the E85 in my case.

11 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Stock E85 is pointless.  You need a tune to unlock its potential.  

OP will have to tune to use E85, so that's a given.  Also, not exactly a hard DIY mod, so something I also wouldn't have worried about if buying a truck.  E85 wasn't an option on the L86 but I will be converting once my warranty is coming closer to expiring.  It will REDUCE my fuel cost, even with the reduction in fuel mileage.  Extra power is also an added bonus. 

I have read every e85 Silverado conversion before I have done mine.  I have noted that the Gas Tank filler hose is e85 or e10 specific (at least for the Regular Cab), I hope that guys that have done the mod have taken that into consideration, hate to see the filler hose break down over time and cause a problem.

Edited by SCR71822

3 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Stock E85 is pointless.  You need a tune to unlock its potential.  

OP will have to tune to use E85, so that's a given.  Also, not exactly a hard DIY mod, so something I also wouldn't have worried about if buying a truck.  E85 wasn't an option on the L86 but I will be converting once my warranty is coming closer to expiring.  It will REDUCE my fuel cost, even with the reduction in fuel mileage.  Extra power is also an added bonus. 

I have the HP Tuner to enable the Flex Fuel option in the ECM.  I also have the Hypertech Max Energy Programmer I might try, at least to pull the settings to get a good performance baseline.

My truck is at the three year mark, has about 31,000 miles, and I need it to be a reliable daily driver, figure now is the time to play with it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

...E85 mileage sucks. Sure, it runs a little stronger. But not enough to seek it out.

The L83 goes from 355 to 382 horsepower on E85.  Torque goes from 383 to 416 on E85.  

Besides free horsepower and a cleaner fuel system and motor, another benefit is variable and that is cost.  Depending on where you live, the cost per mile may be significantly less.  I'm running E30 and am within 1 mpg of what the motor gets on 93 but paying thirteen cents a mile to drive the truck instead of a quarter.  Do the math.  

There's another benefit for those who live in the path of hurricanes.  I'd resolved to never run E85 for the same reasons most folks think of.  Then one night before a hurricane was due to arrive, I had to pick up and deliver some generators and this burned half a tank.  Pulled into a filling station around 1 AM with lines at every pump but the one with the yellow handle.  Pulled right up, topped off and went on my merry way while folks were still waiting in line.  I'd almost forgot about that yellow gas cap!

55 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

The L83 goes from 355 to 382 horsepower on E85.  Torque goes from 383 to 416 on E85.  

Besides free horsepower and a cleaner fuel system and motor, another benefit is variable and that is cost.  Depending on where you live, the cost per mile may be significantly less.  I'm running E30 and am within 1 mpg of what the motor gets on 93 but paying thirteen cents a mile to drive the truck instead of a quarter.  Do the math.  

There's another benefit for those who live in the path of hurricanes.  I'd resolved to never run E85 for the same reasons most folks think of.  Then one night before a hurricane was due to arrive, I had to pick up and deliver some generators and this burned half a tank.  Pulled into a filling station around 1 AM with lines at every pump but the one with the yellow handle.  Pulled right up, topped off and went on my merry way while folks were still waiting in line.  I'd almost forgot about that yellow gas cap!

You’re one of the lucky few...nearest E85 around here is in Tallahassee (160 miles) unless something has changed since last October. I would convert my 6.2 today if it was readily available. The E85 locator shows it’s here but it’s not right unfortunately.

• Like 1