E85 2016 Silverado Reg Cab 6spd 4x4 5.3 upgrade

3 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

That’s what I wanted to know. Black02silverado says he uses it in his older 6.2 all the time with zero issues hmmmm

Sent from above

And I’ve argued with him about that on here before. He shouldn’t be using it but it’s his truck so whatever. Apparently he’s an environmentalist and cares about his carbon foot print over anything else. 

You don’t run E85 in a vehicle not equipped for it

• Like 2

And I’ve argued with him about that on here before. He shouldn’t be using it but it’s his truck so whatever. Apparently he’s an environmentalist and cares about his carbon foot print over anything else. 
You don’t run E85 in a vehicle not equipped for it

At the least, you’ve got to give him credit for doing what he feels is right.

Sent from above

Just now, TXGREEK said:

At the least, you’ve got to give him credit for doing what he feels is right.

Sent from above

I did in the other thread. 

It’s still not a good enough reason to run fuel in your vehicle it’s not designed to run on. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I’d like to just run e85 whenever but I don’t have a 6.2 flex fuel kit yet and the question was if I need a conversion kit for my 6.2 before I can run E85?

Sent from above

I believe the possibility exists that it will run very lean as it wont be putting in enough fuel, if the % of alcohol gets way up there.  e85 is general 53% to no more than 83% alcohol, so it depends on where you get you e85.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SS502 said:

You’re one of the lucky few...nearest E85 around here is in Tallahassee (160 miles) unless something has changed since last October. I would convert my 6.2 today if it was readily available. The E85 locator shows it’s here but it’s not right unfortunately.

In Navarre, there's a Circle K/Exxon that shows they carry E85.  Over in Oyster Bay is a Shell that carries it and another and a Pride on 181 between Clay City and Belforest.  Probably not convenient.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

In Navarre, there's a Circle K/Exxon that shows they carry E85.  Over in Oyster Bay is a Shell that carries it and another and a Pride on 181 between Clay City and Belforest.  Probably not convenient.

I'll check it out, I go through Navarre quite a bit actually although highway 98 this time of year is horrible. Thank you!

• Like 1

Well I wanted to reuse the current front engine fuel line, but there is no easy way to bend a 90 degree bend and then out a push connect flare on it.  So, I've decided to cut and use a singe Stainless 90 degree compression elbow in front of the sensor.  It should be here next week.

Just finished installing it and testing for leaks so far so good.  I will program the ECM now to see the Sensor.  

I would have preferred to bent and flared the existing line but in the space it was impossible.

I did put loktite on the stainless elbow threads so it doesn't vibrate loose.

P_20190327_172010.jpg

P_20190327_172032.jpg

• Like 1

Just took for a drive and looked for leaks, no leaks.  Programed the ECM and t saw the alcohol content at 11.8% which is about right since I use E15 usually.

Well I have to wait for my tank to go down so I can fill up with E85.  Here is a picture of the fitting I used, I repurposed the quick connect fitting from the old line I cut.

P_20190327_164531.jpg

P_20190327_172024.jpg

Edited by SCR71822
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SCR71822 said:

I put about 6 gallons of E85 in to fill the tank.  It is now showing about 30% Ethanol.  It seems to have a little bit more torque and able to stay in V4 mode longer before.  I can't wait to get a full tank of E85.

I've read that the Gen V 5.3 motor stays in V4 about 50% of the time on gasoline.  These make about 44 horsepower per cylinder and on E85 over 47 hp per cylinder.  Custom tuning may eke out even more performance.

My Gen IV 5.3 does really well mpg wise between 20-30% alcohol content, better than on gasoline according to the last 4 tanks of fuel.  Power wise, it loves 80% and gets 2.82 mpg less than gasoline for an average tank of fuel.