E85 2016 Silverado Reg Cab 6spd 4x4 5.3 upgrade

On 4/10/2019 at 4:15 PM, SCR71822 said:

I had to dial the Shift Firmness down to Tow as it was too harsh at WOT.

The truck is fun to drive, breaks the rear tires loose easy now, super fun to drive.

I have to up the Alcohol % to 70 or higher at the next fill up.

Free horsepower is fun!  Truck runs great on all but the lowest % of ethanol, below 20% it feels little different than gasoline.  20-23% offers best performance and city mpg greater than gasoline with alcohol 8-18% because the motor is making more power.  Highest alcohol content on E85 I've seen is 80%.  Usually it's between 72-76%.  

Neat stuff right?

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:37 PM, swathdiver said:

Free horsepower is fun!  Truck runs great on all but the lowest % of ethanol, below 20% it feels little different than gasoline.  20-23% offers best performance and city mpg greater than gasoline with alcohol 8-18% because the motor is making more power.  Highest alcohol content on E85 I've seen is 80%.  Usually it's between 72-76%.  

Neat stuff right?

Sitting at 70.6% Ethanol, feels even better.  That was Thornton's.  Next fill-up I will try another station see if they have higher %

Feels great to drive now.

Edited by SCR71822
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have since added a recalibrated thermostat 180-190 that gives me a good temp drop but not too low so cold weather driving and the Air Raid modular intake pipe.

I started changing parameters specifically for E85 in the ECM. 

The Truck responds so much better!

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:32 AM, SCR71822 said:

Well I have since added a recalibrated thermostat 180-190 that gives me a good temp drop but not too low so cold weather driving and the Air Raid modular intake pipe.

I started changing parameters specifically for E85 in the ECM. 

The Truck responds so much better!

I'm currently testing it now, it runs about 17 degrees cooler than stock in the 180 to 190 range so far, I'm trying to get the ECT to be no higher than 194 in normal summer driving.

Edited by SCR71822
  • Like 1

I've been playing with tuning the ECM and Trans with the E85 running about 72% Alcohol.  Learning tons on tuning Gen V  DI on E85.  The truck is very fun to drive.  I have a regular cab so it is the lighter of the Silverado's only the 2wd would be slightly lighter.  It is actually fun to drive now and feels so much more responsive now.  Its been cold her near Chicago so I'm currently tuning it for better cold starts.

I bought the line and looked at what it was going to take to install it and decided against it, I think I'm going to splice the lines at the nylon bend.  It will still look like a factory install picked up Russel Stainless Steel Ferrules and hydraulic crimper.

I wish Hypertech and Diablo, etc would work on E85 specific tunes for their products, being able to add 40+ hp for a coupe hundred bucks it a great deal.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well today I decided to finish my install of the OEM pipe, I do not have a lift so I decided to use the back and used Russell stainless steep crimps to crimp the hose to the front pipe.  A lot less work.  So my conversion is 100% done now.  I'm enjoying the enhanced performance and drivability!

P_20190707_113412.thumb.jpg.f2c6270870dbea119ead4415308901f5.jpg

P_20190707_113433.jpg

Edited by SCR71822
  • Like 1

So I wonder if I bought all the GM parts and swapped them out myself if the dealer can enable it for me. I have only had my 2018 for 8 months and have 25k miles on it. I have been wanting to set it up to run E85 for towing now and then time for it after my 60k mile warranty is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2019 at 7:26 PM, thekevin said:

So I wonder if I bought all the GM parts and swapped them out myself if the dealer can enable it for me. I have only had my 2018 for 8 months and have 25k miles on it. I have been wanting to set it up to run E85 for towing now and then time for it after my 60k mile warranty is up.

Just get the HP tuner and do it yourself depending on the year its like 300 and you get to tune it for increased performance.

Remember it's $299 for the unit and software but it costs 4 credits to tune a 2017+ computer. 4 credits is $200. So $500 for him because it's a 2018 model year.

The dealer will not enable it because they never sold them with it from a factory.

• 3 months later...
On 7/8/2019 at 7:26 PM, thekevin said:

Or find a friend that has HP Tuners already and buy the credits for him to program your truck.

• 2 years later...