IIHS front tests are out

I've gotta question how much sense it makes to buy a new GM vehicle, (Sierra/Silverado) given the issue with their poor safety and the poor quality of materials compared to the new Ford and Ram pickups. I've been a loyal GM buyer for almost 20 years, but I seriously doubt I'd buy one of the new GM trucks considering how far behind Ford and Ram GM has fallen. Car and Driver rated the Silverado last compared to the new Ford and Ram (as much as I personally dislike Ford) and their review didn't even consider vehicle safety.

• Like 1

Coming from a 2016 Ford F-150 XLT, I'd say my 2019 Silverado's interior has slightly better feel. Could be due to the RST trim.

One minus about the Silverado is the rear end hopping off the road, I didn't have that with the Ford so I"m a little disappointed here. But, if it weren't for that, the Silverado is better in more ways than the 2016 Ford F-150 XLT.

• Like 1

Car & Driver is no different than the majority of buyers.  I nor anyone I know gives a single second to the "safety rating" the government assigns vehicles.  Just not a factor or consideration for most buyers.  Same with fuel mileage.  I figure the lower the better on ANY vehicle I buy.  My "fun" car is a C7 Z06 and I really didn't look at mileage when buying.  I'm happy to get 3.9 mpg on track with the car.  Burn through a tank in about 35 minutes on track.  Truck and performance car buyers I know could care less about safety ratings and fuel mileage, the lower fuel mileage the better as it usually equates to more power.

Edited by rikhek

39 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Coming from a 2016 Ford F-150 XLT, I'd say my 2019 Silverado's interior has slightly better feel. Could be due to the RST trim.

One minus about the Silverado is the rear end hopping off the road, I didn't have that with the Ford so I"m a little disappointed here. But, if it weren't for that, the Silverado is better in more ways than the 2016 Ford F-150 XLT.

You rear end hopping is a result of the less than optimal Tenneco Brand "Rancho" shocks.

They are like pogo sticks when new and after several thousands of miles.

• Like 1

I am literally hours away from buying a 2019 and now I see my wife might loose her legs in a crash? I know it's one test but GM knew the protocol going into a major redesign and could not get a good rating like the 5 year old Ford design? I don't know if I could ever forgive myself if my wife or daughters got hurt in the front seat. I know the 19 is safer than the k2 I am in now but I might have to take a big step back before making this purchase. I kind of wish I had never seen this. I honestly just assumed on a brand new redesign that Chevy would ace this test like Ford...........

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

You rear end hopping is a result of the less than optimal Tenneco Brand "Rancho" shocks.

They are like pogo sticks when new and after several thousands of miles.

I thought Z71 had better shocks? What made it far more dangerous was the transmission shifting (at least that's what I think because it's given me quite a few jolts) at the worst time possible when I removed my foot off the gas over the rough patch. My dealership is having me take it in next week.

13 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I am literally hours away from buying a 2019 and now I see my wife might loose her legs in a crash? I know it's one test but GM knew the protocol going into a major redesign and could not get a good rating like the 5 year old Ford design? I don't know if I could ever forgive myself if my wife or daughters got hurt in the front seat. I know the 19 is safer than the k2 I am in now but I might have to take a big step back before making this purchase. I kind of wish I had never seen this. I honestly just assumed on a brand new redesign that Chevy would ace this test like Ford...........

I hear you, buddy. For me, gas mileage was the main factor and the re-design for 2019 made my decision easier.

In only ONE part did the Silverado rank a tiny notch below Ford's. All the others were the same. It's like 2% worse, that's it. I looked at both and looked at all the other areas, both got identical scores.

It's like that perfect storm.. you'd have to be in that accident every 350 years for your wife to lose her legs. And 700 years later in that second accident, she'll have no legs for you to worry about. That's if we achieve immortality.. I'm just thinking way ahead here.

Edited by Wiggums
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I thought Z71 had better shocks? What made it far more dangerous was the transmission shifting (at least that's what I think because it's given me quite a few jolts) at the worst time possible when I removed my foot off the gas over the rough patch. My dealership is having me take it in next week.

Better?  You know what they say....  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Go check out the Bilstein thread on the K2 2014-2018 section.

Any aftermarket shock is better than the factory Rancho.

What confuses me about this is that GM spent millions on the absolute best crash software and the vehicles are extensively tested. In addition vehicles are retested anytime manufacturer mods are installed.

In specific I watched a special on the ZR2 Bison in which AEV added skid plates and a few surface mods to the ZR2. Chevy spent millions of dollars running crash simulations to ensure the mods wouldnt impact crash survivability...

How in the world does this truck have safety issues when GM is spending millions of dollars testing? Its as if they had their heads in the sand when designing their "bread and butter" truck..

Edited by Chris walker

I hear you, buddy. For me, gas mileage was the main factor and the re-design for 2019 made my decision easier.

In only ONE part did the Silverado rank a tiny notch below Ford's. All the others were the same. It's like 2% worse, that's it. I looked at both and looked at all the other areas, both got identical scores.

It's like that perfect storm.. you'd have to be in that accident every 350 years for your wife to lose her legs. And 700 years later in that second accident, she'll have no legs for you to worry about. That's if we achieve immortality.. I'm just thinking way ahead here.
Or I need to trade my wife in for one with no legs. Then it's a non issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

How is the T1 safer than K2?

Since T1 does not offer power adjustable pedals, shorter drivers are forced to scoot the seat forward thus resulting in lower safety.

K2 trucks (certain trim levels) have power pedals. This allows you to move farther back from the steering wheel and dash in the event of a crash.