In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

If you're not using the USB-C, you're missing out

My old F-150 had only the regular USB plugs so I used the slow-charging USB to USB-C cables. Since the charge was so slow, I had a QC 3.0 adapter plugged in the cigarette lighter if I wanted to charge it up quickly but would not be able to use Android Auto.

When I saw that my new Silverado has USB-C plugs, I figured it was time to catch up and bought at least ten USB-C to USB-C cables. I also replaced all the USB plugs at home to USB-C. It's 2019, ya know?

Now, I can quickly charge my phone with Silverado's USB-C plugs and be on Android Auto at the same time. The regular USB now charges my LED flashlight. I'm glad Chevrolet didn't make it all USB-C, I think the regular USB has a good fifteen more years to go before becoming obsolete.

The regular USB can only go up to 2 or 3 watts, while USB-C can deliver up to 100 watts. My phone does up to 36 watts and I'm showing fast charging on my phone which is nice! No more deciding between two cables.

If you're not sure why there's USB-C in your truck, now you have your answer. You may need to buy a USB-C to USB-C cable to fully benefit from it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not getting fast charging with the truck's USB C port. While C allows for 100w, I guarantee the chargers in our trucks are a fraction of that.  

2 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

What happens if you're plugged into usb-c and place it on the wireless charger at the same time?

Does Android Auto work with the wireless charger?

Still debating which packages to get.

Thanks 

It won't blow up or anything, but it won't charge any faster.   

No, our trucks don't have wireless Android auto.  As far as I know that is only available in aftermarket stereos currently. 

Yes, there's a wireless charger option that goes in the glove box but it won't be hooked up to Android Auto. Don't think you can do it wirelessly as of now.

I just tested it again, my phone does indicate "fast charging" but I didn't measure it.

Not sure what's the point of wireless charging if it's slow and can't be used for Android auto. When I did a test drive, it said charging slowly, and didn't think to test AA. Now thinking/wishing it wasn't included with Conv Pkg 2 on the LTZ. 

The wireless charging does seem very slow on my truck with my iPhone X. Lucky to get a few percent on a short trip...but if nothing else it’s a convenient place to put the phone and easily see it. I don’t care for the layout of the console without the charging pad. If I desperately need a lot of juice I hook it up to my cable in the console anyhow.

Agreed, none of the wireless chargings I've seen are useful. It's almost always phone-specific, not standardized.

As for USB-C, it seems to work well with my phone. It's a Huawei P20 Pro.

39 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

The wireless charging does seem very slow on my truck with my iPhone X. Lucky to get a few percent on a short trip...but if nothing else it’s a convenient place to put the phone and easily see it. I don’t care for the layout of the console without the charging pad. If I desperately need a lot of juice I hook it up to my cable in the console anyhow.

When I test drove a couple trucks the last few days, I liked being able to put my phone on landscape mode on the console without the wireless charger in the little trough. Seemed like it sat up at a better angle than one the wireless console. But I want the camera trailer package, so have to get the wireless. Doh.

Edited by UGADawgs

For some reason, fast charging is no longer working. Checked it with a fast charge adapter and it still didn't. Now I'm sure it's the cheap cables I bought. Shouldn't have ordered from Aliexpress.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:26 PM, OnTheReel said:

Ah, I always put mine vertical so I guess that’s why it works out for me. You really want CPII anyway, if only for the Bose. The standard stereo is insulting for the price of the truck.

Pulled trigger today, got CP2, Bose sounds good ??

• 1 year later...
On 3/21/2019 at 11:01 AM, Wiggums said:

My old F-150 had only the regular USB plugs so I used the slow-charging USB to USB-C cables. Since the charge was so slow, I had a QC 3.0 adapter plugged in the cigarette lighter if I wanted to charge it up quickly but would not be able to use Android Auto.

When I saw that my new Silverado has USB-C plugs, I figured it was time to catch up and bought at least ten USB-C to USB-C cables. I also replaced all the USB plugs at home to USB-C. It's 2019, ya know?

Now, I can quickly charge my phone with Silverado's USB-C plugs and be on Android Auto at the same time. The regular USB now charges my LED flashlight. I'm glad Chevrolet didn't make it all USB-C, I think the regular USB has a good fifteen more years to go before becoming obsolete.

The regular USB can only go up to 2 or 3 watts, while USB-C can deliver up to 100 watts. My phone does up to 36 watts and I'm showing fast charging on my phone which is nice! No more deciding between two cables.

If you're not sure why there's USB-C in your truck, now you have your answer. You may need to buy a USB-C to USB-C cable to fully benefit from it.

Is it still working? My 19 silverado sometimes launches android auto and superfast charging when connected to usb-c but most of the time it shows slow charging and won't launch android auto. I also tried 3 different cables as well

• 6 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 7:47 PM, Alejandro Almeida said:

Is it still working? My 19 silverado sometimes launches android auto and superfast charging when connected to usb-c but most of the time it shows slow charging and won't launch android auto. I also tried 3 different cables as well

This is my experience also. The Samsung cable works perfectly in the Mazda and at home, but in the truck I can either charge slowly, or use android auto (not my choice). Some cables don't work at all.