drone ????? Not sure why it’s a big deal

Today I installed a Flowmaster 40 on my sierra and I just don’t get why everyone makes a big deal out of drone

When I asked the shop to cut the resonator off they implied I would get too much drone and it would be louder. I’m like I ride a Harley with straight pipes cut it. 

I’ve had a GMC in the past With Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust and it never once bothered me and I don’t think I’ve ever heard it 

Seems people are  very picky 

Anyone have a sound clip of what they are referring to ?

• Like 1

I agree, I grew up when you installed loud exhaust. Its just what you did and if you wanted it quieter you installed a different muffler. I never once heard anything about Drone, it was ether to loud or not loud enough. Most people were looking for the most rumble out of a muffler. Guess its is just a phase and should pass.

Edited by Mikebtte
Because I cannot spell!
  • Thanks 1

I think the complaints are about how it sounds in V4 mode vs V8 through and aggressive exhaust. Could be wrong, I have my AFM disabled so I only hear all 8 all the time. I run the Borla ATAK, love it. I will say that it does sound funny in V4 with non-stock exhaust but it was minimal and I don’t have it anymore.

• Like 2

it's subjective like why do some prefer duncan donuts and others don't. 

I used to love loud pipes on my trucks, cars, sportbikes, etc. So when i got my sierra i threw a GMPP Borla on there. Well...even that was too loud and droney for me! I mean my wife is ultra sensitive to drone and she was totally fine with it, but this time it was me who felt like my head was going to blow up at certain RPMs. I think now i only like good sounding exhausts notes on other people's cars...not mine. 

• Like 2

Flame me if you will but the only thing worse than a loud motorcycle is a loud, slow motorcycle. Same for a car/truck.

Loudness on the track or strip is a part of the game. On the street, unless it really performs and sounds the same, it's annoying.

My opinion only.

Have at it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I would constantly get calls when I worked at semi well known exhaust company that also shares a name with a guitar company... It got to the point I would tell people who were kind of nagging before they even had the exhaust to just pass on it... youll never be happy with it. "This kit is wayyyyy to loud i cant even think straight"  So you do know you bought the absolute loudest kit we had available, why are you complaining now?

To add to my rant.

NO MATTER WHAT EXHAUST BRAND YOU GET OR IF ITS MADE OUT OF SOLID GOLD. It is going to make some sort of audible presence in the cab. Absolutely not possible to not get ANY noise in the cab with removing any stock aspect of the OEM exhaust. Thats what boggles my mind when people buy aftermarket shit for their vehicles. You are changing something OEM... there is going to be a change with the vehicle whether thats good or bad and whether thats something you want to live with or not...

9/10 people who called me should never open the hoods on their vehicles ever...

• Like 2

Drone pretty much started with cross over exhaust, it comes in at certain RPMS. True duals without the equalizer usually don’t drone, they rumble. The V4 is a different animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, mitchely03 said:

To add to my rant.

NO MATTER WHAT EXHAUST BRAND YOU GET OR IF ITS MADE OUT OF SOLID GOLD. It is going to make some sort of audible presence in the cab. Absolutely not possible to not get ANY noise in the cab with removing any stock aspect of the OEM exhaust. Thats what boggles my mind when people buy aftermarket shit for their vehicles. You are changing something OEM... there is going to be a change with the vehicle whether thats good or bad and whether thats something you want to live with or not...

9/10 people who called me should never open the hoods on their vehicles ever...

Hey where in socal are you? i need to make sure that i don't ever take my truck to your shop! hahhahhahh

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Drone sucks. With that said drone comes at all sorts of levels. What amount of drone bothers me may not bother someone else and vice versa. I have MBRP exhaust and it gives a nice hum in the cab while cruising down the hwy. My dad had a 2001 2500 6.0 with dual Flow Master 40’s and that damn thing would rattle the teeth out of your mouth. Sounded great outside but inside it sucked and was annoying. 

Drone that we want to eliminate is a loud harmonic intrusion usually occurring between 1500-1800 rpm in top gear around 58 to 65 mph.  Listen to this video clip for the objectional sound.

Had it bad on a G8GT and eliminated it with the addition of j-pipes.

• Like 1

It gets old quick. While it sounds good outside... riding down the hwy for sustained periods wears on a person. I used to like flowmasters. As a sign of good faith I'll trade (2) used 40sfor 14-18 parts lol. Was think of putting then on my truck, but screw that my teenage years are over.