9" Lift, 37" tires, 3.23 gears. Can I tow a 7000lb trailer?

I've decided to do a gear swap. My mechanic recommends 4.10's, I noticed a few of you recommend 4.56. Which one will be a better gear? Isn't a 4.56 more of a mud bog/drag gear? 

I wan't to make sure I have the power to pull but also have a comfortable truck to drive. 

I've decided to do a gear swap. My mechanic recommends 4.10's, I noticed a few of you recommend 4.56. Which one will be a better gear? Isn't a 4.56 more of a mud bog/drag gear? 

I wan't to make sure I have the power to pull but also have a comfortable truck to drive. 

Personally, I’d stick with 410’s. Call the gear company and get the lowdown on their recommendation cause you don’t want to be looking for a gas station sooner than you need to either lol

Sent from above

I would do the math and see what the equivalent to stock is with 37"s then go from there. With that much tire height a 4.56 may only be like a 3.42  or a 3.73. Depends on how often you tow plus that is a super heavy tire so even geared you are losing some rear wheel horse power to rotational mass just by itself. Should be a lot better once you get it done, whatever you do make sure to let us know how it turns out/your driving impressions. I bet a lot of people would like some real world feedback.

How often are you going to be pulling it, and how far? Honestly if it's not that often I would just pull it with what you have and put the transmission in 6th gear so that it doesn't go into 7th and 8th.  The truck has enough grunt to get it going, but overdrive will be useless, so just keep it out of those gears.  If you are dead set on gears, then 4.56 would be the way to go.  4.10 will simply compensate for the 37s, it won't give you any extra grunt for pulling.

Also not sure if you're tuned, but you will have to recalibrate your speedometer for the gear swap.

Edited by pewterliftedz

I have the 4.56 gears with 35's and have no complaints.  2100rpm at 70mph. Drove 1000 mile round trip this past week from Little Rock to Galveston, 15.7mpg average (hand calc) running 75-80mph

4.10 gears with 35's would effectively be approx. 3.73 gearing

4.56 gears with 35's would effectively be approx. 4.10 Gearing 

Currently, your truck with 37" tires and 3.23 gears is running at an approx. 2.76 gear. 

With 37" tires you really need 4.56 gears, that will put you in between a 3.73 and 4.10, which would be perfect with the 6.2, good towing and decent gas mileage. 

39 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

I got mine installed today. I’m so happy

That breakin period would be hard for me but necessary for sure! Glad it went together on time :thumbs:

On 3/22/2019 at 10:59 AM, kennerz said:

Voice of reason here.  Towing with 37's  That's a double Whammy. The 3.23 on a 6.2 is good for a stock weight /diameter wheel. Like mentioned above the total increase in mass per wheel is extreme, plus the increase in diameter then throw in a fully loaded trailer add at least 2k to the 7k dry trailer.

As was mentioned this needs the 4.56 just to be workable. I would do it just for everyday driving anyhow.

Gearing isn't the only concern here.  It's the freaking lift!  A Colorado ZR2 loses over 2,000lb of towing capacity over the standard Colorado because of a 2" lift.  The Raptor is even worse.  These are factory engineered and built lifts.  Lot's of good info in this video.

• Like 1

As promised! Picked her up yesterday. With the stock gearing it pulls really well in Tow Haul. Without tow/haul I can feel her back there until over 80 km highway. What is my safe trans temp range, as long and I'm on the gauge? I was hovering between 90-95 towing around town yesterday.

2 Trailer.jpg

Back View Trailer.jpg

Trailer 1.jpg

• Like 1

The truck looks great!  Needs camper mirrors, IMO.

You  need to  re-gear it.. Hook up the trailer and see if you are happy with the performance.. Doubt it. 

You have the form you want,  now you need to work on the  function!