Motor Trend Reviews the WT

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/silverado-1500/2019/2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500-work-truck-first-test-review/

No love shown by Motor Trend for the Work Truck. I took delivery of my Custom last week which is basically a WT with 20" wheels. Other than the lack of interior storage, I'm happy with it. My old truck was an '02 Silverado LT, so it may  be different compared the the Ford and Ram.

One of the biggest complaints is is the drivers seat. I'm 6'1", 195 and it fits me just fine.

MT and C&D are getting their asses handed to them by YouTubers and blogs like TFL.

Doubt anyone even goes to these magazines for advice anymore, most definitely not in the printed variety at least. They are generally out of their wheelhouse reviewing trucks, especially a work truck. And as they struggle to stay relevant you’ll see more and more crap like this. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, towdog333 said:

The dude who wrote the article sure isn't a chevy man. 

Maybe, maybe not. What he is, is a fella reviewing a truck. He's not suppose to have a bias. I read his entire review and I found it of more worth than ten thousand post of 'consumers in review'. 

13 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

MT and C&D are getting their asses handed to them by YouTubers and blogs like TFL.

Doubt anyone even goes to these magazines for advice anymore, most definitely not in the printed variety at least. They are generally out of their wheelhouse reviewing trucks, especially a work truck. And as they struggle to stay relevant you’ll see more and more crap like this. 

You say this like it's a good thing. :rolleyes: Getting advise from You Tube, in general, is like getting brain surgery mail order. The only thing more stupid than some 20 year old You Tube blogger reviewing anything is the person that gives it any gravity. Granted there are a handful of bloggers with a clue in niche's but none of them have the resources of a rag to fully dissect the meat from the crap. This guy called it like it saw it. It WILL offend the Chevy loyalist...what a better review? Build a better truck! 

I own a WT and he isn't wrong. That said....I did something about it's weaknesses instead of pretend they don't exist and complain that someone noticed crying foul. :puke:

Have a cup of coffee and reflect on exactly what it was that got it to this point. How did a paper magazine that use to be 100 pages, of which less than ten were advertising, become a delivery vehicle for advertising that you PAY to read? How did an Internet system designed, and at one time delivered, INFORMATION become a pay per view service for idiots that believe a catchy video is worth more than an ASTM or SAE tech paper? We've trade science for opinion and people with expertise for convenience. People like it when the reviews support their likes and biases. I'd rather have the truth.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

We've trade science for opinion and people with expertise for convenience. People like it when the reviews support their likes and biases. I'd rather have the truth.  

Not everyone is capable of reading tech papers, myself included. And tech specs are meaningless without user testing, because the proof in the pudding is how it actually drives and handles, not what the tech paper says it should do.

There is also nothing wrong with listening to expert opinions and tests. We all rely on experts, and while you may be an expert in cars, I'm not, so TFL Truck is a welcome source of high quality testing.

Are you gonna read a white paper to see how your next dually can pull a trailer up a hill, or do you want to watch some good reviews of a team who tests every 1 ton out there, using the same load and testing procedure, and compares them against eachother in terms of acceleration, braking, handling MPG etc, "in the real world"? I mean definitely test it yourself of course, but a good review can get you started.

• Like 1

You say this like it's a good thing. :rolleyes: Getting advise from You Tube, in general, is like getting brain surgery mail order. The only thing more stupid than some 20 year old You Tube blogger reviewing anything is the person that gives it any gravity. Granted there are a handful of bloggers with a clue in niche's but none of them have the resources of a rag to fully dissect the meat from the crap. This guy called it like it saw it. It WILL offend the Chevy loyalist...what a better review? Build a better truck! 

I own a WT and he isn't wrong. That said....I did something about it's weaknesses instead of pretend they don't exist and complain that someone noticed crying foul. :puke:

Have a cup of coffee and reflect on exactly what it was that got it to this point. How did a paper magazine that use to be 100 pages, of which less than ten were advertising, become a delivery vehicle for advertising that you PAY to read? How did an Internet system designed, and at one time delivered, INFORMATION become a pay per view service for idiots that believe a catchy video is worth more than an ASTM or SAE tech paper? We've trade science for opinion and people with expertise for convenience. People like it when the reviews support their likes and biases. I'd rather have the truth.  

I read a report this morning in consumer reports about the recent most reliable vehicles. I’m not going to repeat it here. I have before, it causes a sh$t storm. I’m in a zen mood today. It’s a beautiful spring day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

You say this like it's a good thing. :rolleyes: Getting advise from You Tube, in general, is like getting brain surgery mail order. The only thing more stupid than some 20 year old You Tube blogger reviewing anything is the person that gives it any gravity. Granted there are a handful of bloggers with a clue in niche's but none of them have the resources of a rag to fully dissect the meat from the crap.

Please...Motor Trend has no more resources than anyone else anymore, and their staff is filled by the same type of 20-something year old writers you complain about being inept bloggers on YouTube. The article was written by one. 

Both YouTube and MT alike are heavily opinion driven, but I knew this guy was missing the point of a work truck when he began complaining about the number of USB ports. Deliver me.

It is certainly a good thing that other people are now doing MT’s job better (particularly when it comes to trucks and what truck buyer’s want)...

4 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

but but but MT and CD are biased lol. Some of you guys are true homers. Continue on. Nothing wrong with that. ?

I’ve read them both for 25 years. I’m sorry to say but there’s no other explanation for it. If you took the time to read either one regularly, you’d see that generally they don’t give two shits about anything that isn’t a BMW.

Which is my point that they have no business reviewing work trucks in an effective manner. BMWs are the least reliable vehicles on the planet and have won how many awards from these two? Who’s really giving the consumer any good information anymore?

• Like 2

Years ago I subscribed to CR.

Got tired of their BS.

I personally take any review of any product with a grain of salt.

Opinions are like "    " we all have one.

:)

• Like 2

When to Rochelle today to the GMC/Chevy/Buick dealer and had me a look see. Not the WT but trims link the High Country. Nine trucks total. Seven of these $50K PLUS trucks looked like they were built by a group of angry fifth graders. Ripples, dents, paint that looked like it was applied by brush. Bed seam sealer unfinished and unpainted. Body plugs missing. Panel gaps amiss. Seams in seats sewn askew.

Motor Trend was being kind. 

The ONLY issue I took with this guy was his explanation concerning crank window and the reason for their demise. His statement that if they sold they would still be around. They ALL sold. This is bean counters move. Someone want to stand up and tell me that well collectively quite caring about fit and finish? That we are all good with buying a $50K PLUS truck that looks like it's been in a demolition derby then sent to a first grade finger painting class. YOGO's had better body and paint that this. That isn't an opinion. That's a fact. My BS meter is PEGGED. :puke:

Edited by Grumpy Bear

23 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

but but but MT and CD are biased lol. Some of you guys are true homers. Continue on. Nothing wrong with that. ?

You don't think the description of the interior as "a rolling OSHA violation" is a little over the top for an unbiased review? Or this; "Actual park benches would make more comfortable seats than the benches Chevrolet installed in this truck".

Really?????? Sounds unbiased to me.:puke:

Edited by 383
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

trucks looked like they were built by a group of angry fifth graders. Ripples, dents, paint that looked like it was applied by brush. Bed seam sealer unfinished and unpainted. Body plugs missing. Panel gaps amiss. Seams in seats sewn askew.

Wow, fit and finish on mine is top notch, I haven't found the first body defect.

I agree with the BS meter being pegged.......

• Like 2