Motor Trend Reviews the WT

11 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

When to Rochelle today to the GMC/Chevy/Buick dealer and had me a look see. Not the WT but trims link the High Country. Nine trucks total. Seven of these $50K PLUS trucks looked like they were built by a group of angry fifth graders. Ripples, dents, paint that looked like it was applied by brush. Bed seam sealer unfinished and unpainted. Body plugs missing. Panel gaps amiss. Seams in seats sewn askew.

Motor Trend was being kind. 

The ONLY issue I took with this guy was his explanation concerning crank window and the reason for their demise. His statement that if they sold they would still be around. They ALL sold. This is bean counters move. Someone want to stand up and tell me that well collectively quite caring about fit and finish? That we are all good with buying a $50K PLUS truck that looks like it's been in a demolition derby then sent to a first grade finger painting class. YOGO's had better body and paint that this. That isn't an opinion. That's a fact. My BS meter is PEGGED. :puke:

I've looked at probably a dozen different T1s inside and out, and another 20-30 exterior only. I have never once seen any that look that bad. Most of them, the fit and finish was very good, a few did have some panel gaps that were not as tight as I would like. I've never seen any that had paint that looked like it had been brushed on. Other than the normal orange peel, the paint quality was also very good. 

On 3/23/2019 at 8:51 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Maybe, maybe not. What he is, is a fella reviewing a truck. He's not suppose to have a bias. I read his entire review and I found it of more worth than ten thousand post of 'consumers in review'. 

You say this like it's a good thing. :rolleyes: Getting advise from You Tube, in general, is like getting brain surgery mail order. The only thing more stupid than some 20 year old You Tube blogger reviewing anything is the person that gives it any gravity. Granted there are a handful of bloggers with a clue in niche's but none of them have the resources of a rag to fully dissect the meat from the crap. This guy called it like it saw it. It WILL offend the Chevy loyalist...what a better review? Build a better truck! 

I own a WT and he isn't wrong. That said....I did something about it's weaknesses instead of pretend they don't exist and complain that someone noticed crying foul. :puke:

Have a cup of coffee and reflect on exactly what it was that got it to this point. How did a paper magazine that use to be 100 pages, of which less than ten were advertising, become a delivery vehicle for advertising that you PAY to read? How did an Internet system designed, and at one time delivered, INFORMATION become a pay per view service for idiots that believe a catchy video is worth more than an ASTM or SAE tech paper? We've trade science for opinion and people with expertise for convenience. People like it when the reviews support their likes and biases. I'd rather have the truth.  

He's not supposed to have a bias, but everyone does. The "news" reporters aren't supposed to have a bias either, but you watch CNN for five minutes and tell me they don't. 

On 3/23/2019 at 9:10 AM, KARNUT said:

I read a report this morning in consumer reports about the recent most reliable vehicles. I’m not going to repeat it here. I have before, it causes a sh$t storm. I’m in a zen mood today. It’s a beautiful spring day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top of the list is Japanese cars with a few Korean brands represented as well. The Lincoln Continental is the only American car in the top-10 most reliable according to CR. The bottom of the list is mostly Cadillacs, with the VW Atlas, an Alfa and a Jaguar, as well as the Silverado 2500HD and Tesla Model X also being represented. 

• Like 1

Top of the list is Japanese cars with a few Korean brands represented as well. The Lincoln Continental is the only American car in the top-10 most reliable according to CR. The bottom of the list is mostly Cadillacs, with the VW Atlas, an Alfa and a Jaguar, as well as the Silverado 2500HD and Tesla Model X also being represented. 

Toyota truck and Buick LaCrosse was ranked high too.

I read this thread then read the article. Outside of complaints on the basic interior he had plenty good to say about the drive line and general usefulness for it's intended purpose. The review didn't seem as bad as this thread is making it out to be, IMO. I'm not at all shocked at his take on the WT interior. I don't like it, either.

Yea, I read it too. If I found after saving that much money the seats were uncomfortable, I’d replace or recover. Wouldn’t be the first time.

1 hour ago, 383 said:

You don't think the description of the interior as "a rolling OSHA violation" is a little over the top for an unbiased review? Or this; "Actual park benches would make more comfortable seats than the benches Chevrolet installed in this truck".

Really?????? Sounds unbiased to me.:puke:

So now artistic license and euphemism are bias? It's a opinion. Isn't that what you read a review for? 

1 hour ago, 383 said:

Wow, fit and finish on mine is top notch, I haven't found the first body defect.

I agree with the BS meter being pegged.......

Did I say everyone made or did I say 7 of 9? Glad you got a nice one and happy you like it. It's an experience and your opinion. That does not invalidate mine. I have mentioned I don't do argument right? :seeya:

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:04 AM, the wanderer said:

Not everyone is capable of reading tech papers, myself included. And tech specs are meaningless without user testing, because the proof in the pudding is how it actually drives and handles, not what the tech paper says it should do.

There is also nothing wrong with listening to expert opinions and tests. We all rely on experts, and while you may be an expert in cars, I'm not, so TFL Truck is a welcome source of high quality testing.

Are you gonna read a white paper to see how your next dually can pull a trailer up a hill, or do you want to watch some good reviews of a team who tests every 1 ton out there, using the same load and testing procedure, and compares them against eachother in terms of acceleration, braking, handling MPG etc, "in the real world"? I mean definitely test it yourself of course, but a good review can get you started.

I watched a chicken play The Star Spangled Banner on a child's piano on AGT a few seasons ago.  Your not capable????  Sound's more like unwilling. That said I'm not opinion bashing. I love to hear others experiences....if relevant and meaningful.

I go on a web site that sells tires and read customer reviews. Tire Rack has such an appliance. I read only those reviews for those how have logged over 70K. Why? Because the idiot whose bashing the set the he wore out in 5K miles told me with the miles he doesn't give a crap about his car or at minimum it totally oblivious to it's mechanical state.  I want the opinion of someone with some experience and expertise. Anyone who has obtained 70K from a 50K tire has proved he has both. 

So brand X pulls Y load up some hill faster than all the others....ONCE.....Do I need a truck that will tow a motor home up a hill faster than a Kenworth hauling steel or do I want a truck the will do it forever like a Kenworth. As impressive as his review is....it doesn't tell me anything that isn't superficial. 

Lastly everyone who responded to my contributions seems to be missing the part where I said USE TO BE (Past Tense) 10 pages of advert and the remainder content. It got like this because??????? I was a leading question meant to draw out thoughtful discussion.

Instead it does what it always does. Devolve. Enjoy your argument. :seeya:

In the article they say the truck is AWD instead of 4WD because it doesn’t have a two speed transfer case. I always thought AWD meant you couldn’t select 2WD. What is the correct definition of AWD?

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:25 AM, diyer2 said:

Years ago I subscribed to CR.

Got tired of their BS.

I personally take any review of any product with a grain of salt.

Opinions are like "    " we all have one.

:)

I agree, I think  CR is very biased against American vehicles they always trash them, n they always praise Asian built ones

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 383 said:

In the article they say the truck is AWD instead of 4WD because it doesn’t have a two speed transfer case. I always thought AWD meant you couldn’t select 2WD. What is the correct definition of AWD?

I agree that they didn't get the correct definition of AWD in the article.

Slightly unrelated but my dad has done a lot of towing in his life and doesn't figure you need 4Lo for anything you can tow with a halfton.

• Like 1

I agree that they didn't get the correct definition of AWD in the article.

Slightly unrelated but my dad has done a lot of towing in his life and doesn't figure you need 4Lo for anything you can tow with a halfton.

4WD low range has little to do with towing. If you ever gone up a mountain or down or in very rough terrain 4WD 1st gear is very handy.

38 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

4WD low range has little to do with towing. If you ever gone up a mountain or down or in very rough terrain 4WD 1st gear is very handy.

Yeah, primarily for off roading, agreed. 2 speed transfer case is still available if you go for the off road packages. 

• Like 1

I’ve used 4 low A LOT over the years for towing. Especially when I had underpowered manual transmission trucks like my old Dodge Ram. I even pulled the front driveshaft out so I could steer on dry pavement in what essentially became 2 low mode.

Maybe it’s not as important now, but most people I know with decent sized boats still use low range to pull them out of the water around here. The ramps are steep and slippery, and the torque multiplication really helps.

I am baffled why they would remove low range as standard on this 4WD series of trucks. I think most people would take a floor shifter instead of the buttons if they could get low range back.

I always thought of AWD as permanent, always on, like the old Denalis were...

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

I am baffled why they would remove low range as standard on this 4WD series of trucks. I think most people would take a floor shifter instead of the buttons if they could get low range back.

Yup. They've done some odd things but the lack of standard low range is weird even for them. At least they aren't doing this in the HD's. I still see some really good things in the new GM's but I think they'll lose market share with this generation.

3 hours ago, magnum74 said:

Yup. They've done some odd things but the lack of standard low range is weird even for them. At least they aren't doing this in the HD's. I still see some really good things in the new GM's but I think they'll lose market share with this generation.

How about being baffled by NOT being able to get a long bed with a v8 except in a WT, whine all you want but chevy has dropped the ball big time .. they're last place in everything now, suspect design, crappy interiors, no options that make a difference.. I've driven nothing but chevy my entire life ... up to now, screw you chevy, I've waited over 10 years for a decent new chevy truck and it ain't happening now, I'm done buying any new chevrolets.

32 minutes ago, pathetic said:

How about being baffled by NOT being able to get a long bed with a v8 except in a WT

I’m not baffled by that. Nobody buys them. I thought we’ve been over this. You either need to buy a time machine or a Ford.

• Haha 1