Garage size and options for full size trucks

I get a mulligan to build a garage after the last one went OK.  

Our previous property was too small for a large garage/shop so I went 24x24 with 9 ft ceilings and a 18 ft or so garage door width.

actual built dimensions was like 23’ so I was able to fit my 1500 ext cab in quite easily, trouble was I didn’t have much room between my truck and the small SUV next to it with single door so I always have to Austin Powers it a bit to get it fit right without banging doors really bad on the sides.

I would like some suggestions on garage features like size, garage door setup etc..  I want a garage big enough to fit up to a 3500dually long bed and park two other midsize cars. So 3 bays total.

Im thinking stuff like this too:

- sloped floor with floor drains and one flat bay for service work. 

- three separate garage doors.   Two oversized for a large truck / work van

-room for a lift to be added later

Size isn’t a huge problem but I don’t need it for storage either.  It’s on several acres and I have a barn for the power equipment and other random things which would normally go in garage storage

Edited by greatmizzou

I understand you pain. I have been looking to have a house built and my current garage has me fighting to get in and out with 2 full size vehicles parked. I have asked many builders if they could do a 26 wide garage so I have door room when parked inside. They all say no they wont do custom builds. 3 car is really the only option for space and you have a little space for a project. I have been thinking about what they call a 4 car garage. One bay is really deep and the 3 are shallow but still narrow. 

May see if you can make the 3rd garage wider or have a separate area for the truck. Really just need to do a customer build for full size trucks.

Good luck on your gauge.

Edited by Mikebtte
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When we built our house we wanted the roofline on the attached garage to match the house so I ended up with a 10 1/2 foot ceiling in the garage.  Like you I also wanted lots of room between vehicles so the 2 bay garage is 30 feet wide with 2 - 10 foot wide by 8 foot high doors.  With the higher roofline and the larger doors, when viewed from the street, everything looks in proportion to a regular sized garage.  It is also deeper, 1 bay is 27 feet and the other is 33 feet - long enough to fit 2 vehicles nose to tail (which we did for over 10 years).

Just add another 15 feet to the width if you want 3 bays across the front.

If you have the space, use it - you won't be sorry.

Bert

• 3 weeks later...

I highly recommend going with individual doors for each stall, instead of a 'double wide' door. Go with at least 10'x8' doors instead of the standard 9x7. I had width restrictions on my lot so I couldn't go 3 bays wide, but I managed to get my 3 car garage by going 30' wide, inside stall 28 deep, and the outside stall is 40' deep with a 3rd 10x8 door out to the back of the house. If I was able to do it over, I would have made the outside stall another 4 feet deeper haha. Never too big.

My grandfather wanted to build a 26' x 26' garage on his acreage and was told he needed a civil engineer to design it for him. There was no chance of getting one out to his acreage for a reasonable cost so he ended up with 24' x 24', which has worked on for him as he has space in front of his double cab long box 2500 for a work bench. 

My dad's last garage was extra long (can't remember exact dimensions but I want to say it was something like 36' long), which he liked as it allowed him to put the boat lengthwise across the back and still get both cars in during winter.

His current garage has a pit, which is really handy if you like to do your own oil changes.