Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

UPR Products catch installed


Recommended Posts

After doing some research on the whole catch can debate, I was convinced to go ahead put one on my 2015 Silverado. The amount of oil, moisture, and other junk going back thru the intakes of these DI motors cannot be good for the long haul. I plan on keeping this truck for a while so I figured this was money well spent.

 

I decided to go with a UPR Products catch can. First of all, the build quality of the can and the factory style connections on the hoses made choosing this kit a no brainer for me. I know there are lots of other good kits out there but I couldn’t find any that compared to UPR for the price. I ordered the kit Friday and had it by Monday afternoon. Thank you [email protected]

 

I ordered the following catch can with the check valve and additional o-ring kit

 

http://m.uprproducts.com/chevrolet-gm-billet-oil-catch-can-single-valve-silverado-53-14.html

 

Instructions are very straight forward and took all of about 10-15 minutes to install using just an 8 mm, 13 mm socket and wrench.

 

I will empty the can in 500-1000 miles to see what all its collected.

 

4dda1f254f170b1fdcc84be5f267803a.jpg

 

ce481eac795f7c659cbfc063fcdc50cd.jpg

 

d0724b7fb0be1499f73fa89710264a40.jpg

 

5d4fc0d715385f3925e03a6e731801fd.jpg

After removing the intake tube, remove the factory PCV hose which is connected just below the throttle body and routed to the driver side of the intake.

57ab5357e2cae73710f9ccc2424e8c2e.jpg

 

bd785add5e096bb8d288914249d303c8.jpg

 

7ce26290c028e94370700a2ccaf8c47c.jpg

The can mounts to the brake booster bracket using the existing bolt location

76c168e841be8fb8ec76c812c8a1151f.jpg

Once the can is mounted, the hoses simply snap into the factory locations and back to the catch can.

11809833e931d4d1b3882ee032cf7407.jpg

Still plenty of room to pull your dipstick, remove the oil cap, and drain the can

d8b7aa31eeb9dda9b3a1c4a808602719.jpg

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Jacoby said:

I love the oem style connections but at $250 its to rich for me.  I'll stick with fuel line and hose barbs.

 

Looks great though

It's like $200 still on their site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

UPR is offering a special for forum members on the Fully Loaded UPR Plug n Play™ Single Valve Catch Can System.  Includes: NEW UPR HiFlow Check Valves, O-Ring Kit, UPR Magnetic Drain Plug or UPR Drain Valve Option. The retail is normally $264.96 and the Special Offer is $219.99 saving almost $50 off the complete system. Please PM to get this special offer. By the way all our kits only come with Braided Lines and Plug n Play™ Catch Can fittings.

 

Thank you, Joe

Edited by [email protected]
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

 

 

UPR is offering a special for forum members on the Fully Loaded UPR Plug n Play™ Single Valve Catch Can System.  Includes: NEW UPR HiFlow Check Valves, O-Ring Kit, UPR Magnetic Drain Plug. The retail is normally $264.96 and the Special Offer is $219.99 saving almost $50 off the complete system. Please PM to get this special offer. By the way all our kits only come with Braided Lines and Plug n Play™ Catch Can fittings.

 

Thank you, Joe

Joe, this magnetic drain plug...is it a plug you actually have to remove?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SS502 said:

Joe, this magnetic drain plug...is it a plug you actually have to remove?

The magnetic drain plug is removable and what everyone needs to remember is the

UPR Plug n Play™ Catch Can is designed just to simply unscrew the bottom and drain

it out without any mess. No need to ever remove the magnetic drain plug as it will

catch and trash that comes through the engine.

 

To tighten the can closed you simply snug it against the o-ring without cranking it or

using any force as this was designed for the o-ring to secure it.

 

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

The magnetic drain plug is removable and what everyone needs to remember is the

UPR Plug n Play™ Catch Can is designed just to simply unscrew the bottom and drain

it out without any mess. No need to ever remove the magnetic drain plug as it will

catch and trash that comes through the engine.

 

To tighten the can closed you simply snug it against the o-ring without cranking it or

using any force as this was designed for the o-ring to secure it.

 

Joe

I was a bit confused, the OPs picture shows the can with a regular drain that you open, not remove. I can’t imagine metal in my can...for the vapors to carry metal into and through the lines to the can and then collect on a magnetic plug would indicate a terminal engine. Now I can understand if it’s catching broken down coalescing media which it shouldn’t (break down) do but there is no perfect world so that makes sense to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We see over time small shavings in the bottom of the catch cans on the Trucks with mid to high miles. As for

the media, they are all tightly woven custom non-magnetic Stainless Steel and are designed to last the life of

the vehicle without any interference with debris that gets in the bottom of the catch can except to eliminate 

the chance of anything getting pulled past the filter.

 

We only use custom formed/manufactured custom SS coalescing media that in wire form to eliminate any

breakdown and make sure to deliver the very best setup available in every aspect. As we have seen first hand

Ford and GM trucks get trash on the magnetic drain plugs and the engines are perfect and last forever.

 

I've seen just normal wear and tear on the engine as it usually comes from under the valve cover when you

have metal shaving or debris that travel from there to the oil pan and can eventually get ingested in the engine

as the magnetic drain plug was something we added after discovering steel shavings in some catch cans. 

 

Since we do not use anything that can create metal shaving in any of our catch cans we decided to add the

magnetic drain plugs and have been using them ever since with good luck as they collect chips over time. 

 

Glad you brought this up as I didn't even leave the option for the drain valve vs the magnet plug. Thank you

for mentioning.

 

Joe

Edited by [email protected]
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

We see over time small shavings in the bottom of the catch cans on the Trucks with mid to high miles. As for

the media, they are all tightly woven custom non-magnetic Stainless Steel and are designed to last the life of

the vehicle without any interference with debris that gets in the bottom of the catch can except to eliminate 

the chance of anything getting pulled past the filter.

 

We only use custom formed/manufactured custom SS coalescing media that in wire form to eliminate any

breakdown and make sure to deliver the very best setup available in every aspect. As we have seen first hand

Ford and GM trucks get trash on the magnetic drain plugs and the engines are perfect and last forever.

 

I've seen just normal wear and tear on the engine as it usually comes from under the valve cover when you

have metal shaving or debris that travel from there to the oil pan and can eventually get ingested in the engine

as the magnetic drain plug was something we added after discovering steel shavings in some catch cans. 

 

Since we do not use anything that can create metal shaving in any of our catch cans we decided to add the

magnetic drain plugs and have been using them ever since with good luck as they collect chips over time. 

 

Glad you brought this up as I didn't even leave the option for the drain valve vs the magnet plug. Thank you

for mentioning.

 

Joe

You’re welcome and I only mentioned the coalescing material because as you know SOME manufacturers are basically using drillpress shaving lol...not good. I didn’t think or try to imply yours did!!! You caught the meaning of my reply and very clearly explained that your media is safe, most are but ehhh some not so much. My son’s friend HAD a “catch can” on his Subaru and believe it or not had CARDBOARD rolled up like the old wax camping stoves we used to make as kids as the media ? that’s why anyone looking should be diligent in their purchase. I do know that if I ever had metal in my CC waste, I’m not doing something right but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing to have the magnet...I use “earth” magnets in a lot of applications. Anyway, been a while Joe and hope you’re doing well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.