Duct tape, really?

4 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

I don’t know about you, but I certainly didn’t go out and buy black duct tape to put on my relays. Just wasn’t on my to-do list.

Ha!  Yeah. I just did it to gain street cred on the GM Forum.   (that'd a joke people)

Edited by Limelight
  • Haha 1

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a factory mistake as Donny suggested. When I picked up my 6.2L in 2015, one panel hadn't been dusted off below the steering wheel. It literally looked like someone took the panel on a hike through the Sierra desert and then installed it in my Sierra with all the sand glued to it. I was like how did your cleaners possibly over look that when delivering a new $65,000 "luxury" truck, and why was it that dirty in the first place? I could find no other dusty areas in the truck and I have had panels off to check.

But if you seriously think about it, say GM paid an employee $30/hr. It will take them 2 minutes per truck to peel that tape off. 2 minutes x 500,000 = 1,000,000 labour minutes = 16,667hr. 16,667 x $30 = $500,000 labour savings to GM by making YOU take off the tape. I think it is genius, Mary Bara deserves a $490,000 bonus.  ;)

Edited by L86 All Terrain

• 2 weeks later...

After working in a GM assembly plant for 5 years as a line worker and supervisor, I'd be willing to bet that this IP came in from a vendor and this tape is in place because they were having issues in delivery, or while the IP was moving down the line to be assembled, parts were coming up missing. This was an easy solution to keep the parts from coming up missing during assembly. The problem is, when a vendor adds something like this to a item being installed, and it hasn't been placed on a persons job to remove the tape, then you'll get several vehicles making it out the door with this not being addressed for several hundred vehicles potentially. With it being such a minor inconvenience and one that isn't visible without pulling off paneling, I would imagine they made a decision to not chase them down, and just start implementing the pulling of the tape going forward. I've seen it many, many times.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 1:48 PM, Limelight said:

I pulled the cover off  the Driver's side fuse box and was greeted by this.  Really?  Please tell me the relays aren't being held in place with duct tape GM...

Reminds me of when I took my Titan apart and all the dash switches had zipties around them so they wouldn't fall out.  What the hell?

IMG_5167.thumb.JPG.8d9255039203ea442f4ba3ddf44efe59.JPG

IMG_5168.thumb.JPG.fb7051c05a1ea163e9b95798f3350365.JPG

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Limelight. We appreciate your feedback and have taken this opportunity to document it for review by the appropriate parties. If you have any future questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach back out to us. 

Aleigha W.