Thinking of Purchasing 2014-2015

Look for a 15 over a 14. I have seen many more problems with 2014's that got resolved with the 2015 models. My 15 Sierra has been really good to me, if you can find a 6.2 def get it but i went from an 03-06 5.3 to a 2015 5.3 and this motor is ridiculously stout and more then enough for most needs. 

If you look at GMC just keep in mind you'll need to throw in a set of HIDs or upgrade the headlights as the 14-15 Sierras had horrible headlight issues.

GREAT trucks though, smart move to skip the 07-13's.

• Like 1

I'll sing the highest of praises for the 15 nht 5.3l 6spd with 3.73s. I bought this truck for one reason. To do it all. I tow, haul, off-road, commute, race, whatever in this truck. It's my daily. It has over 160k. Only thing I do is I only drive in M5. Keeps it out of v4 mode. Did a level, add a leaf, new shocks, and not one issue aside from the A/C. I was out of warranty for that one unfortunately, but I needed it! I did also upgrade the brake rotors and pads to a heavy duty set. I've done tires, plugs, wires, air filters, but that's about it. I have been extremely confident towing and hauling with this truck. I've confidently towed near its max on quite a few occasions. I also have a 11 6.0 HD and 07 8.1. I will use those when I have to haul heavy. When towing I opt for my 1500. Probably because the other two are more work truck trims and the 15 is more comfortable. Either way it's my daily and I absolutely love it. Next truck is a 2021 sierra HD AT4 6.6 gas. The 15 will then go to one of my guys and continue to roll the mileage. I want this one to hit 300k! I prefer the gas motors as I don't need a diesel. I want one... Just don't tow heavy enough to need or benefit at this point. Down the road if a travel trailer is a possibility, or if we go with a bigger custom homeshow exhibit then I'll obviously have to adjust.

I'm closing, go for a 15 max tow 5.3 or 6.2 and you'll be fine. It's been a perfect problem free truck. Interior still looks new too. No tears or worn areas of seats.

Good luck! 5b307a140e5af9863597fa17de412298.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

71c064d3dd595c66947dc2fa91c58935.jpg

• Like 1

I had a 2014 Silverado Double Cab, 5.3/6L80E/3.42 Z60 for two years.

Truck drove great but it kept roasting AC compressors. I was not the only one, I read plenty about it online. From what I understand, the AC system was redesigned slightly for 2016+. My 2017 has not been acting up AC-wise one bit. I had no luck in asking for a retrofit on the 2014.

It had the Chevy shake when the tread wore thin, but the shake disappears with decent tires.

I'd pass on the 14-15s. The AC repair was just too expensive to keep doing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, texasaggies16 said:

Look for a 15 over a 14. I have seen many more problems with 2014's that got resolved with the 2015 models. My 15 Sierra has been really good to me, if you can find a 6.2 def get it but i went from an 03-06 5.3 to a 2015 5.3 and this motor is ridiculously stout and more then enough for most needs. 

If you look at GMC just keep in mind you'll need to throw in a set of HIDs or upgrade the headlights as the 14-15 Sierras had horrible headlight issues.

GREAT trucks though, smart move to skip the 07-13's.

Thanks for the confidence boost!  That's what I would thinking...coming from an 05 should be a huge improvement!  But the NHT may be required just to get a payload above 1700, which is where I sit.  Thanks for the tip on the headlights, I would have though GMC would have better headlights being projector.  Do they just need better bulbs/ballasts, or do the entire headlight design suck?  Are the Chevy lights just fine?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J-man67 said:

I'll sing the highest of praises for the 15 nht 5.3l 6spd with 3.73s. I bought this truck for one reason. To do it all. I tow, haul, off-road, commute, race, whatever in this truck. It's my daily. It has over 160k. Only thing I do is I only drive in M5. Keeps it out of v4 mode. Did a level, add a leaf, new shocks, and not one issue aside from the A/C. I was out of warranty for that one unfortunately, but I needed it! I did also upgrade the brake rotors and pads to a heavy duty set. I've done tires, plugs, wires, air filters, but that's about it. I have been extremely confident towing and hauling with this truck. I've confidently towed near its max on quite a few occasions. I also have a 11 6.0 HD and 07 8.1. I will use those when I have to haul heavy. When towing I opt for my 1500. Probably because the other two are more work truck trims and the 15 is more comfortable. Either way it's my daily and I absolutely love it. Next truck is a 2021 sierra HD AT4 6.6 gas. The 15 will then go to one of my guys and continue to roll the mileage. I want this one to hit 300k! I prefer the gas motors as I don't need a diesel. I want one... Just don't tow heavy enough to need or benefit at this point. Down the road if a travel trailer is a possibility, or if we go with a bigger custom homeshow exhibit then I'll obviously have to adjust.

I'm closing, go for a 15 max tow 5.3 or 6.2 and you'll be fine. It's been a perfect problem free truck. Interior still looks new too. No tears or worn areas of seats.

Good luck! 5b307a140e5af9863597fa17de412298.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

71c064d3dd595c66947dc2fa91c58935.jpg

Awesome, thank you for the info!  Now the trouble is finding an NHT option.  Most for sale ads don't mention it, I'll have to ask for pics of the glove box sticker.  If they say it has a "tow package" that probably isn't the same as NHT right?  Is there a visual difference between the two?  Like F-150 with the max tow package you know it because they have the extended super duty type towing mirrors.  Do Chevy/GMC do the same with NHT?

If I were you, I would get a '16+ NHT 6.2L.  At that weight and drag, you want the bigger motor.  '16 gets you the refreshed look and better Infotainment system.  Have to go '15 to get the 8 speed tranny, and that is only on the 6.2L, as I believe the 5.3 didn't get it (as an option at that) until 2016.

I am guessing if looking for a NHT, the 6.2L will likely be more popular but I could be totally wrong on that. I couldn't find a NHT anywhere when I bought mine. 

13 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

If I were you, I would get a '16+ NHT 6.2L.  At that weight and drag, you want the bigger motor.  '16 gets you the refreshed look and better Infotainment system.  Have to go '15 to get the 8 speed tranny, and that is only on the 6.2L, as I believe the 5.3 didn't get it (as an option at that) until 2016.

I am guessing if looking for a NHT, the 6.2L will likely be more popular but I could be totally wrong on that. I couldn't find a NHT anywhere when I bought mine. 

Thank you...when searching it's hard to find exact engine options.  Most of the ads don't even list the damn engine in it!  They all copy-paste the same generic ad.  Are there any visual cues to know by looking at pictures if the truck is a 6.2l?  

Didn't the 6.2l only come in top trip trucks?  What trims would have the 6.2l?

1 minute ago, onecrazyfoo4u said:

Thank you...when searching it's hard to find exact engine options.  Most of the ads don't even list the damn engine in it!  They all copy-paste the same generic ad.  Are there any visual cues to know by looking at pictures if the truck is a 6.2l?  

Look at the VIN.  8th digit will be J if it is a 6.2L, C if it is a 5.3 (not sure if the eAssist 5.3L got a different code, but I don't think you could get the NHT package with that).

I'm not certain how consistent GM was year over year on what package was required to get the 6.2L.  I wouldn't even look at a truck with cloth or a bench seat (I'm not living that life) so anything I looked at could get the 6.2L.

You can not get the NHT in the Denali. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, onecrazyfoo4u said:

Thanks for the confidence boost!  That's what I would thinking...coming from an 05 should be a huge improvement!  But the NHT may be required just to get a payload above 1700, which is where I sit.  Thanks for the tip on the headlights, I would have though GMC would have better headlights being projector.  Do they just need better bulbs/ballasts, or do the entire headlight design suck?  Are the Chevy lights just fine?

Honestly a set of hids will cure most people’s needs which will set you back 200 if you get quality products. I ran cheap eBay ones for 2 years with no issues but eventually swapped to 16+ Denali headlights which are a new level but most people can be satisfied with just hids. The Chevy headlights if they aren’t ltz on the 14-15 I hear no issues from.

I actually swapped my 14-15 gmc front end into a 16-18 front end due to loving the leds but it cost me around 2k total, but I didn’t want to jump into 10-15k more debt for some lights so I did the swap and kept my 15 since I’ve maintained it since day 1.

7 hours ago, onecrazyfoo4u said:

You can also look at the exhaust pipe by the exhaust tip. The 6.2L has larger exhaust piping (if its stock). I believe the 5.3L is 2.5" and the 6.2L is 3" piping. It is visibly obvious from the rear of the truck. On the 2007-2013's the 6.2L exhaust had a straight back exit under the bumper, the 5.3L had a side exit like normal. The 6.2L only comes in LTZ or High Country trim for a Silverado, and SLT/Denali for GMC. They do tend to hold their value better, same goes for NHT package, they are rare and probably even more-so on the used market. Good luck in your search, an NHT or 6.2L 8spd will fit your bill quite nicely. You wont be disappointed with a 6.2L from the first time you put your foot into the go pedal.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 3:02 PM, L86 All Terrain said:

You can also look at the exhaust pipe by the exhaust tip. The 6.2L has larger exhaust piping (if its stock). I believe the 5.3L is 2.5" and the 6.2L is 3" piping. It is visibly obvious from the rear of the truck. On the 2007-2013's the 6.2L exhaust had a straight back exit under the bumper, the 5.3L had a side exit like normal. The 6.2L only comes in LTZ or High Country trim for a Silverado, and SLT/Denali for GMC. They do tend to hold their value better, same goes for NHT package, they are rare and probably even more-so on the used market. Good luck in your search, an NHT or 6.2L 8spd will fit your bill quite nicely. You wont be disappointed with a 6.2L from the first time you put your foot into the go pedal.

Awesome thank you, I'll look out for this stuff!

On 3/28/2019 at 7:09 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Look at the VIN.  8th digit will be J if it is a 6.2L, C if it is a 5.3 (not sure if the eAssist 5.3L got a different code, but I don't think you could get the NHT package with that).

I'm not certain how consistent GM was year over year on what package was required to get the 6.2L.  I wouldn't even look at a truck with cloth or a bench seat (I'm not living that life) so anything I looked at could get the 6.2L.

You can not get the NHT in the Denali. 

Great pointers on the VIN, that'll be easy to check.  THanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2019 at 6:28 AM, onecrazyfoo4u said:

Awesome, thank you for the info!  Now the trouble is finding an NHT option.  Most for sale ads don't mention it, I'll have to ask for pics of the glove box sticker.  If they say it has a "tow package" that probably isn't the same as NHT right?  Is there a visual difference between the two?  Like F-150 with the max tow package you know it because they have the extended super duty type towing mirrors.  Do Chevy/GMC do the same with NHT?

For 2015+, the NHT includes tow mirrors so you can tell from the pictures if the seller posted some decent ones.