Fuel in Oil and Extended Warranty

I had a 2017 6.2 that had a a bad High Pressure Fuel Pump internal diaphragm leak and filled the oil crankcase with gasoline The oil level was at least an inch above the full mark and it had a strong gas smell to the oil and oil cap. Dealership replaced the HPFP but stated no engine damage. They might be correct but I did not wish to keep the truck and I traded it in for a 2018 6.2. 

To my way of thinking heavily fuel diluted oil is the kiss of death for engine longevity and I did not want to drive it long enough to prove my theory.

The 2018 at 6,500 miles is doing well, although it does have several "miles" on the hood hinges and may suffer premature wear on that part Hahahahaha (I check engine oil level at every fuel up) 

IMG_6108.jpg.846fcda5d7b042b5b5886c21f054b50f.jpg

• Haha 1

Well took the truck to the dealer, I was basically told that no codes=no problem even after showing them the oil analysis. They said they checked the  fuel pressure on the low and high pressure sides and they looked och. They blamed the fuel contamination on the cold weather and my Airaid MIT due to the lack of baffles which I call BS on.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been checking the fuel pressure with my scan tool and noticed that every morning it is close to or at Zero on both the high and low pressure sides. I am unsure if this is normal or not and I will admit that my knowledge of modern fuel injection systems is fairly limited . I would appreciate it it someone could let me know what is normal and what is not.

On 3/27/2019 at 11:41 AM, L86 All Terrain said:

What makes this a common characteristic of Direct Injection? I understand there are higher crankcase pressures with DI, which leads to oil mist venting through the PCV system, but how does the Gas get down in there in the first place? Surely pressures should not be high enough to bypass or (blow-by) the piston rings, especially on a new engine. I wonder if the injectors tend to spray, and "wash" the cylinder wall leading to inadequate lubrication and premature ring wear, or just fuel managing to be pushed through the ring gaps? The injectors are pointed on an angle in these LT's, they do not fire directly over the piston as I understand that is common with all Direct Injection systems, including 2 stroke snowmobiles. 

A common characteristic of DI is the high pressure the fuel injectors are spraying into the cylinder (600 plus psi). That I believe is enough to allow some fuel dilution past the rings, however I do think in this case, the high pressure fuel pump diaphragm is leaking. 

But yes, there does seem to be fuel dilution issues with direct injection engines, among other issues as well. My oil smells like fuel sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. I've had a little bit of oil consumption as well (28,000 miles).

Agreed a gasoline smell is inevitable, what I am referring to is a lot stronger than anything that you would normally encounter. You will recognize it if it happens it will literally burn your nose hairs LOL. .