Oil Recommendation

Coming up on my first oil change since purchasing the truck used.  15K miles on the truck.  It has the L83 5.3 with long tube headers, CAI, Cat Back and BBP tune.  I live in NE. Florida.  What oil is recommended for my set up?

adb368953c6bf35d577611daee979646.jpg
Amsoil 0W20 it’s 100% synthetic not that cheap full synthetic

Sent from above
  • Like 1

New Shell Rotella Gas Truck engine oil, in the viscosity and quantity listed in your Owner's Manual.  It has the special detergents and additives of a diesel oil, but formulated specifically for gas engines--the best of both worlds, whether you tow/haul/race.  And it's Dexos--Gen 2 rated to meet all of the GM specs and warranty requirements.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Thanks 1

Your budget will no doubt have some impact on the brand of oil you choose.

Amsoil is great but definitely not for the average Joe.

Growing up, my Dad swore by Quaker State and ran it in everything from 5hp Briggs motors all the way up to our farm tractors.

I have been using Mobil 1 products for years with good results and currently use Mobil 1 0w-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic in my '14 sierra

And remember, a good Oil Filter is just as important if not more, than the brand of oil you run.

• Like 3

I use only Mobil One Syn. for the last 8 years or so. I'm in Canada and the 5L jugs go on sale at Canadian Tire for about $35 (what is that these days, about $3.34usd lol).

I would try that Amazon stuff if price was a concern for me. Just sounds wrong though, you know? Would you buy "Walmart Synthetic" on Rollback for half the cost of the good stuff? I am sure some would, but not me personally. We have salespeople come here all the time showing us test results and the difference between professional lubricants and off the shelf brands, grease/oil/gear lubes. In my new class 8's, 2 pails of Texas Refinery 15w-40syn costs me $500 Canadian but it certified to 100,000km (67,000mi). So if I get double the mileage from it, the cost works out to the same as using Shell Rotella T Syn. Any synthetic off the shelf will be a good choice for your halfton. No need for top dollar, small firm lubes. Your motor is only $5k to rebuild, a 15L Cat is $40k to rebuild. 

• Like 1

Before this truck I had a 4.2l Trailblazer.  Always ran Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in 10W-30. 

I plan to continue to use full synthetic as I don't mind paying a little more to ensure extend the engine life and make sure everything is running well.

My father used to recommend 10W even though 5W was recommended for the trailblazer.  I believe he said the reason was because we are in Florida.  He's not a mechanic but is mechanically minded and this was sometime ago so maybe this is an old way of thinking or incorrect all together.  Wasn't sure if that hold's true for the direct injection Silverado or not.  So based on the feedback so far, I should go with what the manual states as far as weight of oil?  Wasn't sure if the modifications to the truck alter opinions on the oil weight to use over what is recommended in the manual.

3 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

New Shell Rotella Gas Truck engine oil.

NICE, I apparently need get out more... that Rotella is good stuff myself and a lot of guys I know have used the Diesel formula stuff to “degunk” old gas motors of sludge and build up makes the inside of a gunked up motor look like new within a couple of 2-3k oil changes. My buddy used it in a old Mopar small block that been sitting for years pulled the valve covers heads and inside of covers completely coated with nasty thick half dried out sludge. Ran Rotella all summer long in it changed it 3 times pulled the covers off in the fall inside of covers and heads damn near spotless. Next year pulled the oil pan looked the same.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Any oil that has the dexos 1 gen 2 information on the bottle in a 0w-20 weight will work fine for your application. 

You wanna know what’s pretty decent in my book? @Black02Silverado Is an AMSOIL vendor/seller and yet isn’t pushing it on ANYONE :thumbs:  

Edited by SS502
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, SS502 said:

You wanna know what’s pretty decent in my book? @Black02Silverado Is an AMSOIL vendor/seller and yet isn’t pushing it on ANYONE :thumbs:  

Amsoil is good stuff. I run it in my high performance 2 stroke engines. Not typically a name I see a lot of in the 1.0L+ displacement world. They are a top name in what they do, I wouldn't hesitate to run anything with the Amsoil name. I blew up 4 motors before switching oil brands to Amsoil in my snowmobiles, they have been rock solid since. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Amsoil is good stuff. I run it in my high performance 2 stroke engines. Not typically a name I see a lot of in the 1.0L+ displacement world. They are a top name in what they do, I wouldn't hesitate to run anything with the Amsoil name. I blew up 4 motors before switching oil brands to Amsoil in my snowmobiles, they have been rock solid since. 

I am close to my second oil change (GM) and after that it’s AMSOIL. I have it ready to go but figured I’d run the 2 freebies first. Just ordered the diff and transfer case lube/oils today...going to do it all at 5K and get that (yes I know it’s not called break-in fluid) factory stuff out. I’m not touching the transmission yet because (knock on wood) I don’t have any problems yet. When it’s time I will let GM do the flush and fill with their fluid. Did the first oil change at 2K and the second one will have 3K on it...from then on every 5-7K

Edited by SS502
  • Like 1

I have used Walmart Supertech oil and trans fluid in a 03 Monte Carlo ss for 198,000. Guy I sold it is still driving it around 4 years later. Never had any problems.

Using Supertech in my 16 Silverado now and been using it in 13 Impala for about 55,000 miles. 

• Like 2

I have used Walmart Supertech oil and trans fluid in a 03 Monte Carlo ss for 198,000. Guy I sold it is still driving it around 4 years later. Never had any problems.

Using Supertech in my 16 Silverado now and been using it in 13 Impala for about 55,000 miles. 

Problem with both Amazon and Walmart synthetic blend oils is that they’re not consistent and though their price attracts more budget minded people, it’s no less of an oil than the Mobil1 synthetic blend but then again Mobil1’s finest is still rated as a 3rd grade stock class versus AMSOIL which is rated at class 4 and even parts rated at stock grade class 5 which the higher the grade stock class the better. Remember, full synthetic is a marketing gimmick, if it doesn’t say “100%” synthetic then it’s not

Sent from above