Can't turn off Canada headlights

I recently bought a 2017 Sierra that came from Canada. I tried to turn off the lights to just the running lights and they wouldn't switch this morning. Pulled out the owner's manual and says right in there that you can only turn them off in park.

My question is: Anyone have a mod or work around to be able to switch to running lights when not in park?

We do a fair amount of camping and I always like to switch on running lights when pulling in at night.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

Whites is not tuning BCM's and has no ET on when they will be again either.

He has a post on here about 3 weeks ago that he does program them all the time and what options are avail and what he has done so far. there is a picture of a new truck he got to test with for more features. I know it isn't no the wesite, well it is but only with the direct link. 

Gave it some thought and if you wanted to and are handy a simple relay on the headlight wire would do. Hardest part is removing the upper dash top trim to get to the light sensor. the bottom wire is the auto sense output. when that energizes the relay it powers the head lights. just a thought. 

53 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

He has a post on here about 3 weeks ago that he does program them all the time and what options are avail and what he has done so far. there is a picture of a new truck he got to test with for more features. I know it isn't no the wesite, well it is but only with the direct link. 

Gave it some thought and if you wanted to and are handy a simple relay on the headlight wire would do. Hardest part is removing the upper dash top trim to get to the light sensor. the bottom wire is the auto sense output. when that energizes the relay it powers the head lights. just a thought. 

I contacted them last week and posted their reply in the other thread which is exactly what I said.  If you haven't spoke to them then you wouldn't know...

So from March 19th....

We are not taking any BCM work at this time. Please sign up for the notifications under that product on the website if you're interested in that service.

White Automotive & Media Services

Edited by SierraHD17

I contacted them last week and posted their reply in the other thread which is exactly what I said.  If you haven't spoke to them then you wouldn't know...

So from March 19th....

We are not taking any BCM work at this time. Please sign up for the notifications under that product on the website if you're interested in that service.

White Automotive & Media Services
That's weird he posted a pic of his new truck and said for 14-18 the features available. Said they are working on more and to let them know what you want when you order.
I cant work the stupid search here but I remember it.
To bad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What I find comical is the sign up for notifications thing.  I actually inquired for both my 2013 and my 2017... well you can sign up for notifications under the 2014+ but according to the site you can order a BCM for my 2013 no issue...even though you cannot and thus there is no notifications lol. Oh well.

2 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

I think I see what you are saying, just cut power/signal from the light sensor before it gets to the BCM?  Tricking BCM into thinking it is daylight.

On the schematic, it shows that some HVAC stuff would be affected as well?

headlight wiring.PNG

GM has no availability for a reprogram.  Functioning as designed:

#PIT3219E: DRLs or Auto Headlights Will Not Disable with Headlamp Switch - (Apr 4, 2018)

Supersession Statement

This PI was superseded to update model years and condition. Please discard PIT3219D.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customer may state that the Daytime Running Lamps (DRL’s) or the auto headlamps will not shut off when using the daytime running lamp disable switch (Which is part of the headlamp switch). Vehicles that were built for Canada (RPO Z49) have different software that doesn’t allow the DRL’s or Auto headlamp to be shut off. Canada law prohibits disabling daytime running lamps (DRL’s) or auto headlamps.

Recommendation/Instructions

This is a normal operation of the vehicle and no repairs should be attempted.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Gonna have to get a bit creative perhaps.  You could try to trick the light sensor to think its daylight all the time, but your DRL will still turn on in gear. 

Edited by newdude

I think I see what you are saying, just cut power/signal from the light sensor before it gets to the BCM?  Tricking BCM into thinking it is daylight.
On the schematic, it shows that some HVAC stuff would be affected as well?

5c9cef6a82ace_headlightwiring.thumb.PNG.b4ab09447cc3b891483473eecfa812c1.PNG
No I saying cut the headlight wire and use the light sensor wire to trigger the relay to then turn on the headlight wire. The bcm would have no idea it wasn't turning the headlights on. And the reset of the truck wouldn't know the difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It's a safety feature here. Your low beams and orange markers are always on. On my old 98, you used to be able to click the parking brake just slightly and they would shut off the low beams while driving, not anymore. You can't trick the daylight sensor, as the low beams are always on anyway so that would not work. I am stupid with wiring but I wonder if you can install an aux. switch in the main headlight harness? Or find a wrecked American truck and swap the BCM, but that may be a huge headache, I am sure there would be pinning and reprogramming involved?