Can't turn off Canada headlights

It is not a safety feature in Canada... it's GM and lazy programming.  Drl's are standard in Canada and have been since 1990.  Ever drive any other manufacturers vehicles other than a GM? Guessing not.  You can shut the headlights off in any other companies vehicles except GM. My F150, Ram, Tundra and Titan had functioning off positions... my last GM truck that did was my 96 lol.  Turning the lights off in the US shuts off rhe drls as well so it's why we cannot do it on GM vehicles in Canada.  Take my 17... my headlights are not my daytime running lights... it's that goofy little led strip in the headlight.  If those remained functional when off was selected we could do it too but they don't....

Edited by SierraHD17

On 3/27/2019 at 9:37 PM, mn camper guy said:

I recently bought a 2017 Sierra that came from Canada. I tried to turn off the lights to just the running lights and they wouldn't switch this morning. Pulled out the owner's manual and says right in there that you can only turn them off in park.

My question is: Anyone have a mod or work around to be able to switch to running lights when not in park?

We do a fair amount of camping and I always like to switch on running lights when pulling in at night.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Correct, this is one of the differences in trucks initially sold into Canada.  The round switch to turn OFF the headlights will not rotate to the OFF position while the truck is moving.  Otherwise it will rotate to OFF.  Canadian safety law.  Also, Canadian sold trucks cannot use E85,  My 2016 High Country is the same way.

2 hours ago, AE1M said:

Correct, this is one of the differences in trucks initially sold into Canada.  The round switch to turn OFF the headlights will not rotate to the OFF position while the truck is moving.  Otherwise it will rotate to OFF.  Canadian safety law.  Also, Canadian sold trucks cannot use E85,  My 2016 High Country is the same way.

Where do people ge this info? So the E85 station in Calgary is illegal... or Vancouver lol.  Come on.. the trucks here can run E85 just like anywhere else.  I can run e85 through my 2017 all day every day if I want too lol.  You just need the 5.3 optioned to run e85 just like down in the US....

Turning off your headlights in Canada is not illegal... turning off your daytime running lights is.  Since GM is lazy you don't get an off switch on your headlights because GM kills both with the off switch...  Buy a Ford, Ram, Toyota or whatever in Canada and you can turn off your headlights.... it has nothing to do with legality as far as the headlights... just daytime running lights.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SierraHD17 said:

Where do people ge this info? So the E85 station in Calgary is illegal... or Vancouver lol.  Come on.. the trucks here can run E85 just like anywhere else.  I can run e85 through my 2017 all day every day if I want too lol. 

Turning off your headlights in Canada is not illegal... turning off your daytime running lights is.  Since GM is lazy you don't get an off switch on your headlights.  Buy a Ford, Ram, Toyota or whatever in Canada and you can turn off your headlights.

Friend,

Where people get that info is from the Owners Manual.

Vehicles sold in CA must not be able to turn the headlights off while the vehicle is moving, so the switch is designed NOT to rotate to the off position in that case.

Here is cut/paste from owners manual P 178

"For vehicles first sold in Canada, off
will only work when the vehicle is in
P (Park)."

I never said E85 was illegal, what I said is that the trucks GM exports to CA for some reason cannot use E85.  Here is another cut/paste from the owners manual P 324 and is why those trucks are not labelled for E85. (they dont have the yellow E85 badge).  Engine must be tuned differently I suppose.

"E85 or FlexFuel should meet ASTM
Specification D 5798 or CAN/
CGSB–3.512 in Canada. Do not use
the fuel if the ethanol content is
greater than 85%. Fuel mixtures that
do not meet ASTM or CGSB
specifications can affect driveability
and could cause the malfunction
indicator lamp to come on."

"Vehicles that have a
FlexFuel badge and a yellow fuel
cap can use either unleaded
gasoline or ethanol fuel containing
up to 85% ethanol (E85). See E85
or FlexFuel ."

I look forward to your apology.

Bob

Friend,

Vehicles sold in CA must not be able to turn the headlights off while the vehicle is moving, so the switch is designed NOT to rotate to the off position in that case.

P (Park)."

I never said E85 was illegal, what I said is that the trucks GM exports to CA for some reason cannot use E85.  Here is another cut/paste from the owners manual P 324 and is why those trucks are not labelled for E85. (they dont have the yellow E85 badge).  Engine must be tuned differently I suppose.

do not meet ASTM or CGSB

"Vehicles that have a
or FlexFuel ."

Bob
The round headlight switch will rotate to the off position while driving lights just will not turn off. You stated that it cannot be turned but that is not the case....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, AE1M said:

Friend,

P (Park)."

do not meet ASTM or CGSB

"Vehicles that have a
or FlexFuel ."

Bob

Well considering my 2017 has a flex fuel decal in the fuel door and was ordered in Grande Prairie Alberta you can send me your apology right now.   Since I tuned the truck myself I can tell you that the alcohol composition programming is all enabled...

Furthermore maybe own a truck other than one built by Gm ( I have ) and I can turn the headlights off.  Wrong on both counts.  

As I stated GM kills the drl function along with the headlights when using the off position on the American sold trucks.  So allowing that to occur in Canada would not pass our safety standards and thus it is locked out.  Jump in an F150... they have a functional off position  in Canada.  Auto headlights are not a federal mandate...  As of September 2021 as it stands now auto headlights will be law in Canada... but that is not relevant today.

Again... you can apologize and get your facts straight before spreading incorrect information.

Edited by SierraHD17

5 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Can you tie in a switch to the headlight harness that would effectively "by-pass" the BCM programming? Or would that trigger a BCM fault and throw a code/possible de-rate? 

Guys use a resistor to fool the bcm into thinking it's always daylight.  Then you have no auto function, drl's still work and you can turn the headlights on and off.

46 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

Well considering my 2017 has a flex fuel decal in the fuel door and was ordered in Grande Prairie Alberta you can send me your apology right now.   Since I tuned the truck myself I can tell you that the alcohol composition programming is all enabled...

Furthermore maybe own a truck other than one built by Gm ( I have ) and I can turn the headlights off.  Wrong on both counts.  

As I stated GM kills the drl function along with the headlights when using the off position on the American sold trucks.  So allowing that to occur in Canada would not pass our safety standards and thus it is locked out.  Jump in an F150... they have a functional off position  in Canada.  Auto headlights are not a federal mandate...  As of September 2021 as it stands now auto headlights will be law in Canada... but that is not relevant today.

Again... you can apologize and get your facts straight before spreading incorrect information.

Mine was purchased in Toronto.

I guarantee that my truck was initially sold in Canada and the headlight switch operates exactly as the owners manual says. It will not rotate to the off position unless the trunk is in PARK.

I can also guarantee the dealer confirmed E85 is not recommended and therefor the yellow sticker is not there.

All exactly as the owners manual says.

Bob

Lol.  Well my truck was ordered in Canada and is a flex fuel truck... like every other 6 liter HD lol.  Your dealer could have gotten  you thr flex fuel 5.3... it's a separate option and Rpo code lol.   My headlights work exactly as the owners manual says too.. and the American version shuts the lights and drls off.  Still waiting on that apology Bob.

Edited by SierraHD17

Mine was purchased in Toronto.

I guarantee that my truck was initially sold in Canada and the headlight switch operates exactly as the owners manual says. It will not rotate to the off position unless the trunk is in PARK.

I can also guarantee the dealer confirmed E85 is not recommended and therefor the yellow sticker is not there.

All exactly as the owners manual says.

Bob

My 2015 gmc came from canada and the knob rotates no matter what gear its in...

5 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

Lol.  Well my truck was ordered in Canada and is a flex fuel truck... like every other 6 liter HD lol.  My headlights work exactly as the owners manual says too.. and the American version shuts the lights and drls off.  Still waiting on that apology Bob.

You say yours was delivered to GM to Canada and the headlight switch will rotate to OFF when NOT in Park?

If so, it does not operate as the manual states on page 178

ScreenShot042.jpg

7 minutes ago, doozer78 said:

My 2015 gmc came from canada and the knob rotates no matter what gear its in...

So does mine, but while in gear it wont trip the lights. You can rotate it to off all you want while driving, it wont do anything but the knob does turn. Maybe this was changed in the 2016+ MY's.