Transmission fluid change 2015 6.0

Has anyone had the trans fluid changed on their gasser truck? Or even changed it themselves? I read that you need a specific machine to extract all the fluid out to change it properly, and was looking for some guidance. I know some don't agree with changing the trans fluid, but the extended warranty i have requires i follow factory maintenance intervals, which calls for trans fluid change at 50k. Can I do this in my driveway? or do I really have to bring it to the dealer? Thanks for your help.

It’s an easy job but can be messy. Just drop the pan, swap filters, and fill it back up. If you’ve never done one before and aren’t set up with a big drain pan and stuff, maybe just pay someone to do it for you. It’s about a 45 min job for me if I take my time and don’t make a mess. Make sure you seat the filter completely or you will burn up the trans. 

• Like 1

I had mine done at the dealership at 30k miles. I pull trailer around quite a bit. I also noticed the truck chugging from time to time since the day I bought it. Usually up hill under acceleration. The cost wasn't bad. Oil change, fuel system service, trans fluid flush, filter changed cost was 450ish

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

50k is a good time to change.  Most don't bother but then most don't keep their vehicle long enough to make a difference.  If you plan on keeping it then to me it is a good thing.  Every 50k isn't all that often and for the cost it outweighs possibly a transmission replacement down the road. 

14 hours ago, NCPGMC said:

If your warranty requires it I would take it somewhere so its "documented" that it was done. CYA for future claim denial...

lol, already spoke with the warranty company. As long as I have a receipt that shows when I purchased the materials. the date and mileage the service was done at, then im A-OK. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had it done on my 2015 when it had almost 10,000 miles on it. I am a stickler for getting the factory fills replaced soon to get the break in metals out of the components.  Had a local shop do a filter change and complete fluid change.  Will do it again at about 60,000 miles (50K mile intervals).

I do the Xfer and diffs myself at the same time.  

Only have 38K miles on my 2015 now, so it will still be a while before I need to worry about it again.

Edited by Cowpie

just a suggestion,  i have a 2015 Hd gasser and i just installed the PML covers,deeper trans pan.   easy install and it holds about 2-2.5 more quarts.  i daily drive and tow a good sized enclosed trailer and i plan to keep the truck for a long time and im a little anal with fluid changes.  i got the powder coated pan that comes with nice stainless hardware.  i used a new AC Delco gasket ,filter,and fluid. pics posted here.    Ray

IMG_20190405_150231966.jpg

IMG_20190405_150300783.jpg

IMG_20190405_152720742.jpg

IMG_20190405_152726689.jpg

IMG_20190405_152733275.jpg

IMG_20190406_104751225.jpg

IMG_20190406_104820442.jpg

Edited by dynoray
corrected spelling
  • Like 3

I had it done on my 2015 when it had almost 10,000 miles on it. I am a stickler for getting the factory fills replaced soon to get the break in metals out of the components.  Had a local shop do a filter change and complete fluid change.  Will do it again at about 60,000 miles (50K mile intervals).

I do the Xfer and diffs myself at the same time.  

Only have 38K miles on my 2015 now, so it will still be a while before I need to worry about it again.

Only 38k miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, cperk said:

Only 38k miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be correct.  38K miles on 4.5 years.  It is not a daily driver.  Actually, I don't use any pickup or car for my "daily driver".  I got it to haul, tow, and snowplow for my various needs.  The wife primarily uses her Caddy CTS for occasional runs to town and such.  I use my Freightliner semi truck daily.  it is parked at home when I am not working and I take off in it when I do go to work.  So I have no need to use a personal vehicle to "go to work".  

I like my 2015 2500 quite well that I hope to hold onto it for a very long time.   I really have no interest in any other, including the  2500 coming out in 2020.   I don't even bother looking at anything new out there.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 11:07 AM, dynoray said:

just a suggestion,  i have a 2015 Hd gasser and i just installed the PML covers,deeper trans pan.   easy install and it holds about 2-2.5 more quarts.  i daily drive and tow a good sized enclosed trailer and i plan to keep the truck for a long time and im a little anal with fluid changes.  i got the powder coated pan that comes with nice stainless hardware.  i used a new AC Delco gasket ,filter,and fluid. pics posted here.    Ray

IMG_20190405_150231966.jpg

IMG_20190405_150300783.jpg

IMG_20190405_152720742.jpg

IMG_20190405_152726689.jpg

IMG_20190405_152733275.jpg

IMG_20190406_104751225.jpg

IMG_20190406_104820442.jpg

do you have a link to that pan? when you refilled it how many quarts did you put in?

https://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11036.php

here's the link.   stock fill is 6 quarts and with the deeper pan its around 2-3 quarts more.  i initially put in 8 and it looked good when the truck heated up.  this was this past friday,i just drove to work today and im going to recheck the level hot and see.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 10:40 AM, dynoray said:

https://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11036.php

here's the link.   stock fill is 6 quarts and with the deeper pan its around 2-3 quarts more.  i initially put in 8 and it looked good when the truck heated up.  this was this past friday,i just drove to work today and im going to recheck the level hot and see.

What exhaust are you running on your truck?