Vibration on new 3500HD, Just tires? Or worse?

Did you have vibration issues to begin with?  Are you SRW or DRW?

On DRW - all wheels are under 9 RF values except the 2 on the left rear dually.  The inner dually being the worse at 28 RF.  I was going to take it to a real tire shop and have them check the spare and get the best RF values they could. Then remove weights and install Centramatics.

I have drw. I was wondering initially about ride, had the tires balanced. Seemed OK. But having another heavy vehicle with powerI know a few bumps later and issues will arise again. So I decided on Centramatic’s, very pleased, your view may differ. 

Second dealer visit is scheduled for Thur May 16th at 2200miles.  I’m hoping that they at least acknowledge a tire issue.  

Still not not sure if the target Road force is 30lbs or 15lbs.  The LR dually has one at 18 and one at 26 last time they checked.  

3 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

Call/email Michelin and ask what the max numbers are for your tires. I think mine were in the 20s when I had them replaced.

Sent from my Find7 using Tapatalk

Michelin’s response.  “Thank you for your business but we do not have these numbers.  Please contact your authorized dealer.”  Lol!

17 hours ago, bimmerboy318 said:

Second dealer visit is scheduled for Thur May 16th at 2200miles.  I’m hoping that they at least acknowledge a tire issue.  

Still not not sure if the target Road force is 30lbs or 15lbs.  The LR dually has one at 18 and one at 26 last time they checked.  

My dealer said the spec was 30 or less for LT tires.  Discount tire said that anything close to 30 can cause slight vibration.  DT said on the last tire they sent me it was 8, but using their wheel.  So one has to wonder how much the factory wheels contribute to the variance.  The end result of that last tire with my factory wheel was 21 RF.  

Edited by rlme36

2 hours ago, bimmerboy318 said:

Michelin’s response.  “Thank you for your business but we do not have these numbers.  Please contact your authorized dealer.”  Lol!

Interesting.  I'll have to look back in the "what did you do with your truck" thread and see if I can find the picture of my results.  I must have deleted the picture off my phone or I'm just not seeing it.  I'm pretty sure I had at least one somewhere in the 20s.  I have defenders though.

I haven't driven the truck since the tires and wheels were balanced, but did install the new bilstein shocks in it.  Will get the drive impressions this weekend on a trip up to the track.  I can tell you this though, the front shocks were shot and the rears still wanted to re expand on compression, but very slowly.  Truck has ~42K on it.  More than likely not your issue if the truck is new, but just giving data points for those that are approaching that kind of mileage.

Driveshaft was taken in today and balanced. The rear of the driveshaft had to be tuned up a bit. Took it back on the road and had a slight difference. Now only felling it at 64 - 68 on a flat straight highway. Currently getting tires balanced to see if this helps out. Let's see what happens.

• Like 1

Well, dealer test drove again.  This time 28miles on highway and the GMC app says they broke 80mph for 0.1% of the trip.  They said they checked tires for flat spotting and found one to be bad. Remember the LR inner that was 38 then 26 on RFV?  That one.  I coulda told them something was wrong with that tire the first visit!!!  

So pick it it up tomorrow with 1 new tire.  Not sure if this will fix the shake in the steering wheel.  But we will see.  

• Like 1

That didn’t work.  New tire on LR inner and also got a better RFV on the LR outer.  

No change.  The search continues.  

What did upset me a little was he asked if bringing it back to the selling dealer would be a better option for us. We told them that we were able to bring it to any GMC dealer. 

• Sad 1

Picked up the truck.  The dealer basically said that maybe the selling dealer could change more than one tire.

Basically, the LR inner that had high road force, they replaced that tire.  And guess what.  The RFV value was the same.  Wouldn't it make them think it might be the rim?  Also, it's the inner with the steel rim.  Why not try the spare?

Anyways, filed a case with GM and an advisor will be contacting me sometime next week.  Anyone ever have any experience?

4 hours ago, bimmerboy318 said:

Picked up the truck.  The dealer basically said that maybe the selling dealer could change more than one tire.

Basically, the LR inner that had high road force, they replaced that tire.  And guess what.  The RFV value was the same.  Wouldn't it make them think it might be the rim?  Also, it's the inner with the steel rim.  Why not try the spare?

Anyways, filed a case with GM and an advisor will be contacting me sometime next week.  Anyone ever have any experience?

As far as experience with the adviser/customer care whatever time you tell them to call will be the times they never call.  They'll say we tried calling you x times so if you have problems call us back or email.  When you do talk to them they are polite, just not the best listeners.  Well the one I dealt with wasn't very good at times.  Especially when myself AND the dealer told her the same thing 3 times :banghead:.  In the end calling them didn't really help me and now I'm frustrated enough that I'm just going to deal with the shake until it's time to buy a new truck.  Then again I still think it might be a tire problem so I might end up buying yet another set of tires.  I do need to go back to the dealer about the paint damage they said they were going to fix, it's only been almost 5 months.