Extended warranty on new 2018 suburban lt

.So i have a 2018 4wd suburban lt with max trailering, luxury package and navigation infotainment upgrades.  Im deciding  on whether to buy the extended  warranty. I want to keep the vehicle  until it done 10 to 20 years. Im concerned reliability  issues in future given gms reputation and given yhe complexity  of the vehicle.  I hear  others with older suburbans have had good runs with  them. I am the type who maintains my vehicles. Ive heard terrible things about 2015 year models. Will it be worth it to buy GMPP . Any advice on buying GMPP . How much they  will discount list on GMPP whats a good price to pay in CAD dollars or us dollars for GMPP. Anyone have experiences in buying the product  or after buying it if it was worthwhile?

Hey Mike, I JUST bought a 2019 Tahoe Premier, and my sales guy said that an extended plan from the Wheaton Group ( Wheaton Chevrolet ) is a better plan than the GMPP, better price and more covered....same delectable though 100 and 200  and that's CDN $$ too..... so I went for that....I'm good till 2026 ' Ultimate Wrap ' which is bumper to bumper excluding regular maintenance stuff..... I'm happy with what I got....

• 2 weeks later...

I was quoted $2350 for 5yr 125k miles on the GMPP. (Guessing that is the GM Platinum Plan) new to this forum so need to catch up on the acronyms.

I just traded a 10' tahoe in that had 180k miles never needed a warranty, had it 100k warranty for first 3 years. Before that I put 140k on a 07' Tahoe, never needed warranty. Had issues none of which were covered and then asked if I had the warranty would it have been and they always said no.

So they say I have 3 days to decide on that quote?

Trying to figure out the next move on this one. My gut feeling is dont need it but......

• Like 1

I went 7yr 125k, $2100.

No clue if its a great deal best deal ever, I'm happy with my selection. 

I figure some warranty is better than no warranty.

I never used the last 2, but I had them.

• Like 1

On 2019-04-08 at 10:04 PM, Timd32 said:

I was quoted $2350 for 5yr 125k miles on the GMPP. (Guessing that is the GM Platinum Plan) new to this forum so need to catch up on the acronyms.

I just traded a 10' tahoe in that had 180k miles never needed a warranty, had it 100k warranty for first 3 years. Before that I put 140k on a 07' Tahoe, never needed warranty. Had issues none of which were covered and then asked if I had the warranty would it have been and they always said no.

So they say I have 3 days to decide on that quote?

Trying to figure out the next move on this one. My gut feeling is dont need it but......

Is us dollars or canadian?

• Like 1

On 2019-04-11 at 7:37 PM, Timd32 said:

I went 7yr 125k, $2100.

No clue if its a great deal best deal ever, I'm happy with my selection. 

I figure some warranty is better than no warranty.

I never used the last 2, but I had them.

Is that us dollars  or canadian?

On 2019-03-29 at 9:34 AM, The Beagleman said:

Hey Mike, I JUST bought a 2019 Tahoe Premier, and my sales guy said that an extended plan from the Wheaton Group ( Wheaton Chevrolet ) is a better plan than the GMPP, better price and more covered....same delectable though 100 and 200  and that's CDN $$ too..... so I went for that....I'm good till 2026 ' Ultimate Wrap ' which is bumper to bumper excluding regular maintenance stuff..... I'm happy with what I got....

How much did you  pay for the extended warranty? 

• Like 1

wasn't cheap, but covers nearly everything bumper to bumper , just shy of 3200 but for 8 years..... I feel better with it, and yeah, may never use it, but all insurance is like that, damned if you do and damned if you don't.... it's peace of mind for me..... invested WAY too much in this new truck,  to have to pay for a failure, and if no failures, well, then I guess it is the gamble I took..... I am happy with the bumper to bumper coverage, just the regular maintenance stuff not covered..... if one big thing goes down, it will be more than worth it, in my eyes.....

12 hours ago, The Beagleman said:

wasn't cheap, but covers nearly everything bumper to bumper , just shy of 3200 but for 8 years..... I feel better with it, and yeah, may never use it, but all insurance is like that, damned if you do and damned if you don't.... it's peace of mind for me..... invested WAY too much in this new truck,  to have to pay for a failure, and if no failures, well, then I guess it is the gamble I took..... I am happy with the bumper to bumper coverage, just the regular maintenance stuff not covered..... if one big thing goes down, it will be more than worth it, in my eyes.....

Yeah its hard to get it all 100% for the win, the extra rental and the sort is always good, especially if the family is in the thing going somewhere.

I have the 6.2 10sp should be pretty figured out by now, I had things I could have fixed on my 10' that I choose to let slide, rear camera would flake out, side mirrors acted messed up, rear defroster cable broke off, I did finally fix that. So figure if the same starts to go south will try to keep up on it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Beagleman said:

I don't  think you can go wrong. How many kms does that cover?

Given  the complexity of the vehicle your more likely than not will be using warranty at some point. Having said that if it never gets used its a pleasure to have a vehicle  that is problem free.

Here are some things i  suspect  to be an issue in future for my suburban . Heated seats failure, infotainment crash, usb ports, the rear power lift gate, power folding  seats,  4wd drive  components it getting stuck in 2wd or 4wd and wont change, v8/v4 lifters  all things ive never had on my previous  car. The list can go on. So you made a good investment.  Im still shopping for mine. I wanted to see how the factory warranty years go. Ive already had my 1st warranty repair 9 months  in. A minor leaking rear air levelling shock 600$ plus 2 hrs labor. Makes me regret the max trailering package but I wanted  8000 towing ability over 6000 plus the included trailer brake controller  will be handy when i rent  my camping  trailer. 

1 hour ago, Mikey999 said:

I don't  think you can go wrong. How many kms does that cover?

Given  the complexity of the vehicle your more likely than not will be using warranty at some point. Having said that if it never gets used its a pleasure to have a vehicle  that is problem free.

Here are some things i  suspect  to be an issue in future for my suburban . Heated seats failure, infotainment crash, usb ports, the rear power lift gate, power folding  seats,  4wd drive  components it getting stuck in 2wd or 4wd and wont change, v8/v4 lifters  all things ive never had on my previous  car. The list can go on. So you made a good investment.  Im still shopping for mine. I wanted to see how the factory warranty years go. Ive already had my 1st warranty repair 9 months  in. A minor leaking rear air levelling shock 600$ plus 2 hrs labor. Makes me regret the max trailering package but I wanted  8000 towing ability over 6000 plus the included trailer brake controller  will be handy when i rent  my camping  trailer. 

140, 000     but you can go higher mileage if you like, 180,000 I think.....of course the more mileage and longer term the more bucks........... I figured this was pretty average for what we plan to do.... I had my TrailBlazer for 10 years and got just barely 140,000................ o that is how I came to this number.... when I got my '08 Trail Blazer they told me the extra warranty is a good thing as they had done a power seat repair, and at that time is was a 5000.00 bill..... mine had power seats..... all it takes is one thing..... and I'm not much of a gambler so I opted for extra warranty.......just in case....