Extended warranty on new 2018 suburban lt

For what it's worth we just bought a 2018 Equinox Premier AWD 2.0T and we went with the 7 year 100k mile warranty... Like others said, it's kinda like insurance, probably won't need it but, with all the electronics in cars theses days I think it's worth while to have the coverage...  We paid $1950

Edited by Imcrazy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

For what it's worth we just bought a 2018 Equinox Premier AWD 2.0T and we went with the 7 year 100k mile warranty... Like others said, it's kinda like insurance, probably won't need it but, with all the electronics in cars theses days I think it's worth while to have the coverage...  We paid $1950

I agree, it is a lot of extra money, but as some of the guys have mentioned, all it takes is ONE thing to go sour and you've made a good choice, and yeah, there is so much electronics and computer stuff, which is way beyond the average bear to even try to figure out, in my mind, it is a safe option, and I bet there are more of us guys who DO purchase extra warranty than those who don't for the very reasons  you mention....... after all , these trucks and cars are only made by humans, and we all know how good they are................ right? In my case, I may never need to use it, BUT if I do, then I know it's there.....

6 minutes ago, The Beagleman said:

I agree, it is a lot of extra money, but as some of the guys have mentioned, all it takes is ONE thing to go sour and you've made a good choice, and yeah, there is so much electronics and computer stuff, which is way beyond the average bear to even try to figure out, in my mind, it is a safe option, and I bet there are more of us guys who DO purchase extra warranty than those who don't for the very reasons  you mention....... after all , these trucks and cars are only made by humans, and we all know how good they are................ right? In my case, I may never need to use it, BUT if I do, then I know it's there.....

I agree, also I don't know how the fine print plays out on it but, they told me it covers replacement of struts which, if I can take advantage of should pay for a large portion of the warranty cost... My warranty is not GM, it's another company, I think Total Wrap is their name...

• Like 1

This is a personal decision.

You see the value or you don't.

I believe issues show up during the warranty period most times.

Buying used all my life I have never had a major issue.

This is the same as oil and filters, do what you like.

:)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

I agree, also I don't know how the fine print plays out on it but, they told me it covers replacement of struts which, if I can take advantage of should pay for a large portion of the warranty cost... My warranty is not GM, it's another company, I think Total Wrap is their name...

Yeah, mine is another company as well, the sales manager said the GMPP  lacks a few of the finer details and the price was actually a touch cheaper going the way I did and yes, mine is called a 'Total  Wrap' or something similar..... and like you, and as diery2 says , it is a personal decision, and like you, I'm ok with my decision....

2 hours ago, The Beagleman said:

Yeah, mine is another company as well, the sales manager said the GMPP  lacks a few of the finer details and the price was actually a touch cheaper going the way I did and yes, mine is called a 'Total  Wrap' or something similar..... and like you, and as diery2 says , it is a personal decision, and like you, I'm ok with my decision....

Yeah I realize its a crap shoot.. We didn't have any positive equity and didn't have a ton of cash down so our payment is steeper than were accustomed to after leasing for the last 10 years or so and I'm pretty sure we will take at least 60 months to pay this car off so I'd like to avoid a car payment and a major repair bill at the same time... If I could pay it off in 3 or 4 years I'd skip the extended warranty most likely.. Hoping I can do that on the next one...

1 hour ago, Imcrazy said:

Yeah I realize its a crap shoot.. We didn't have any positive equity and didn't have a ton of cash down so our payment is steeper than were accustomed to after leasing for the last 10 years or so and I'm pretty sure we will take at least 60 months to pay this car off so I'd like to avoid a car payment and a major repair bill at the same time... If I could pay it off in 3 or 4 years I'd skip the extended warranty most likely.. Hoping I can do that on the next one...

my real problem is how much these things cost......... I only want one copy, didn't really ant to buy the whole factory !  LOL  Car payments are like a root canal...... nutty stuff we do eh? LOL

3 hours ago, The Beagleman said:

my real problem is how much these things cost......... I only want one copy, didn't really ant to buy the whole factory !  LOL  Car payments are like a root canal...... nutty stuff we do eh? LOL

It is insane how much cars cost now! If I add up both my wife and my car payments we're paying almost as much as our mortgage!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imcrazy said:

It is insane how much cars cost now! If I add up both my wife and my car payments we're paying almost as much as our mortgage!!

No doubt, I tried to get 200k out of my 2010, I did pretty decent maintenance maybe 5500 avg on oil changes Mobil1, always did the AT, coolant, brake fluid, PS flushes, upper end cleaner, but even still It would use almost 4qt in a cycle at the end, dash was cracked, ac was broken, mirrors were shot, I know the '19 is no better has a lower rating crash wise and resale is not looking good with a bunch of places already they are discounting them pretty deep so that never helps, but I dont see much out there that I would be willing to chance it on, I kinda know what to expect already out of it. I loved my past 2 tahoes even with the issues. I needed the extra space family is growing and I did not want to go minivan or 4DR pick up. My wife took one solo ride in the '19 and is already a big fan of the vehicle.

I have this dream this is going to be the one, will let you know in 2029 and see how it went.

• Like 2