Early build question trail boss

I drove a handful of different RST and trail bosses before deciding on the one I'm picking up tomorrow. I didn't realize till after I made the deal that my truck is an early build trail boss late August build.

I noticed two things about this truck vs. the others on the lot.

The steering wheel did not return on it's own and I needed to help it out a bit when going around corners. I don't recall having to do this on the other 19s I drove.

The transmission had a few very hard 1-2 shifts.

Truck has 100 miles on it.

Either of these know issues with an early build truck?

I am hoping they will run a bunch of software updates.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I drove a handful of different RST and trail bosses before deciding on the one I'm picking up tomorrow. I didn't realize till after I made the deal that my truck is an early build trail boss late August build.

I noticed two things about this truck vs. the others on the lot.

The steering wheel did not return on it's own and I needed to help it out a bit when going around corners. I don't recall having to do this on the other 19s I drove.

The transmission had a few very hard 1-2 shifts.

Truck has 100 miles on it.

Either of these know issues with an early build truck?

I am hoping they will run a bunch of software updates.

I have one of the very first built Trail Bosses, built on week 1 (week of July 9th, 2018).  I do not have either of these issues.  By hard shifts do you mean only when you initially take off for the very first time after not driving the truck for a while or something different?

Edited by z1boss
  • Like 1

I have one of the very first built Trail Bosses, built on week 1 (week of July 9th, 2018).  I do not have either of these issues.  By hard shifts do you mean only when you initially take off for the very first time after not driving the truck for a while or something different?
What is your Vin last 6? 100xxx? This one is 107xxx.

I noticed with the truck cold 32 degrees out, I pulled around the lot and made a right on the main road. I accelerated at about 20% throttle, instead of revving up 1st gear it immediately shifted hard to second. It didn't seem to do it at the next couple lights so who knows. It did also have one hard downshift when coasting in the village towards a stop light.

It took so long to find a trail boss with every option I wanted (leather, safety package, advanced Trailer, protection package, and conveince 2), and I am getting such a good deal I decided to just roll with it and hope for the best.

My 16 k2 has been in the shop over 30 times (lost count) so my expectation bar has been set pretty low.

It also baffles me that my truck has been on the lot since last fall and the frame was mint, no rust spots. All the RSTs and LTs seemed to have surface rust spots everywhere. The build quality just seemed better overall on the trail bosses I drove than the RST.

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

What is your Vin last 6? 100xxx? This one is 107xxx.

I noticed with the truck cold 32 degrees out, I pulled around the lot and made a right on the main road. I accelerated at about 20% throttle, instead of revving up 1st gear it immediately shifted hard to second. It didn't seem to do it at the next couple lights so who knows. It did also have one hard downshift when coasting in the village towards a stop light.

It took so long to find a trail boss with every option I wanted (leather, safety package, advanced Trailer, protection package, and conveince 2), and I am getting such a good deal I decided to just roll with it and hope for the best.

My 16 k2 has been in the shop over 30 times (lost count) so my expectation bar has been set pretty low.

It also baffles me that my truck has been on the lot since last fall and the frame was mint, no rust spots. All the RSTs and LTs seemed to have surface rust spots everywhere. The build quality just seemed better overall on the trail bosses I drove than the RST.

My last six is 101xxx so yours was made shortly after mine.  I do sometimes get a slip but not a hard shift when I initially take off for the very first time after not driving it for a little while.  It's not all the time but I feel that maybe it has to do with me taking off too quickly before the computer has fully booted up.  Other than that, the trans has been great (knock on wood).  Keep in mind too that the computer will have to learn your driving style so the trans will adapt overtime.  The steering issue you mentioned may have something to do with the alignment maybe?  If it persists have them check the alignment.  It is under warranty so you should be covered for a while.

Edited by z1boss

My last six is 101xxx so yours was made shortly after mine.  I do sometimes get a slip but not a hard shift when I initially take off for the very first time after not driving it for a little while.  It's not all the time but I feel that maybe it has to do with me taking off too quickly before the computer has fully booted up.  Other than that, the trans has been great (knock on wood).  Keep in mind too that the computer will have to learn your driving style so the trans will adapt overtime.  The steering issue you mentioned may have something to do with the alignment maybe?  If it persists have them check the alignment.  It is under warranty so you should be covered for a while.
Thanks for the input. My 16 has all sorts of random clunks so I kind of expect it. As for the steering I don't think it was alignment. It seemed to track true on the expressway. As for steering it might be normal but just a lighter feel than my 16. Time will tell. Pick it up at 430 today.

4 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Thanks for the input. My 16 has all sorts of random clunks so I kind of expect it. As for the steering I don't think it was alignment. It seemed to track true on the expressway. As for steering it might be normal but just a lighter feel than my 16. Time will tell. Pick it up at 430 today.

No problem and congrats on the purchase.  I hope it all works out for you.  Be sure to post some pics later

I also have an early built TB ,I got mine in TN. Me and my wife both have houses in PA n TN.

When I got back to PA it looks I'm the only one in my area that has a TB.

I haven't had any issues with the truck as you claim.

My truck pulled the crazy hard shift crap twice on me when i first got it. I'm about to hit 5k miles and it has never done it again since those first 2 weeks. My only complaint on my truck is it doesn't seem to hold its lane very well. Not sure if its the tires or what but im going to check the alignment next week when i get my oil changed.

How many miles do you have on it now? The modern 6L80e, 8L90e and new 10L90e all have the TCM (trans control module) "learn" your driving style. They will shift goofy and sometimes harsh while the TCM learns your driving habits. Once it does this, it will smooth out. So it is important to drive consistently when the TCM is going through this process. It will clear up for you in a few hundred miles. Each time you disconnect power to the TCM, (unhook your battery terminals) the TCM will repeat this process. Drive it for a couple weeks, if it still hasn't cleared up then take it in for possible software updates. 

It seemed to drive ok on the way home. Noticed one clunk on a coasting downshift but seemed ok. I had the dealer remove the trail boss logo before the detailed it. It is a very handsome truck in person. I love the 6 inch rectangular running boards.

I parked it next to my 16 z71. It is literally a foot taller.

Got 19.3 mpg on the 10 mile ride home. I was averaging 17.5 in my 16 without a lift.f77ac616faecfa4ace507b1b7b13fc7e.jpgb934c2c40dc28114279ff896d38dd39d.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

It seemed to drive ok on the way home. Noticed one clunk on a coasting downshift but seemed ok. I had the dealer remove the trail boss logo before the detailed it. It is a very handsome truck in person. I love the 6 inch rectangular running boards.

I parked it next to my 16 z71. It is literally a foot taller.

Got 19.3 mpg on the 10 mile ride home. I was averaging 17.5 in my 16 without a lift.f77ac616faecfa4ace507b1b7b13fc7e.jpgb934c2c40dc28114279ff896d38dd39d.jpg

Looks great!  Congratulations!  Just curious, why did you remove the TrailBoss logo?

1 minute ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Sorry thought you said how. I just didn't like the look of a sticker on a $58 truck. I'll be getting a leer cap and it would probably cover up the top part of the sticker anyway

Makes sense.  They needed to make a nice emblem for this trim like they did for the RST but since they didn't, I made my own using black letters lol