Fuel Range.. how far past zero can you go?

My Audi let me drive 50 miles past zero.

My Benz, on the other hand, wasn't kidding and it stranded me once I got to zero.

Ford would get down to 50 then very slowly go down, usually allowing me another 120 miles.

Now, what about Chevrolet? I'm showing 44 and was a little curious here.

So to take this a littler further... Whats the lowest level isn't hard on the pump? I realize there's not magical number the pump runs on and is gradual over time but in theory what's the lowest one should routinely let their tanks get before filling up for this topic?  1/4 tank? 

Unless I'm on an extended road trip I never let tank get below half, usually around a quarter if I'm just to and from town, hunting or just cruising around. Doesn't cost anymore to keep tank full versus running it empty and the plus side is you don't have to worry about it:)

3 hours ago, reardiff said:

So to take this a littler further... Whats the lowest level isn't hard on the pump? I realize there's not magical number the pump runs on and is gradual over time but in theory what's the lowest one should routinely let their tanks get before filling up for this topic?  1/4 tank? 

This question will yield a great debate, no doubt.

Personally, No less than 1/4 tank for me on Any vehicle.

I once had a 1/4 tank rule because of earthquakes and drove about 75,000 miles on the car. During a long drive, I let it go past 1/4 and the engine stalled because it was dirt.

That is why I try to use the entire tank once every 5,000 miles. That's to get rid of sediment and anything inside.

But, that's just me.

16 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I once had a 1/4 tank rule because of earthquakes and drove about 75,000 miles on the car. During a long drive, I let it go past 1/4 and the engine stalled because it was dirt.

That is why I try to use the entire tank once every 5,000 miles. That's to get rid of sediment and anything inside.

But, that's just me.

:confused: If you think by running your tank down to clean out sediment you are way wrong, where do you think its going in the motor? These fuel pumps have a filter in the pump in the tank and when you shut the truck off a little bit of fuel will back flush the filter keeping it clean.

What does earthquakes have to do with how much fuel you keep in your tank?

• Like 4