Flex Fuel Conversion

I have a 2017 5.3l non flex fuel l83.  Looks like there are some conversion kits out there.  CJPerformance (http://www.cjtunes.com/store/flex-fuel-conversions/14plus-gm-truckssuv-flex-fuel-conversion/) offers a conversion kit.  Anyone done this? 

I have a BlackBear Performance tune, I inquired about an E85 tune before I realized my vehicle was not flex fuel.  I was told that I don't need an E-85 tune specific, that the 93+ tune they provided me would work with E85, that the computer would adjust to the E85 fuel.  Would that logic change if I use this CJPerformance kit?

A non flex fuel vehicle will not compensate for the E85, whoever said it is an idiot.

The computer has to known the real alcohol content to make real time adjustments and it has to be setup in the tune to use it. Without a real sensor it can't alter the stoich ratio for the fuel nor can it use the flex fuel features such as spark advanced changes or commanded fueling under power enrichment to use the E85 or mix of fuel to the best of it's abilities.

DSX tuning also offers a flex fuel kit or you can buy the parts and plumb it yourself to save money. That is, if you can do your own work and wiring.

I have no experience with black bear as I do all my own tuning but I can only hope they are smart enough to know how to enable that feature and use the tables in the calibration to provide the customer with what they want.

Edited by CamGTP

16 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

A non flex fuel vehicle will not compensate for the E85, whoever said it is an idiot.

The computer has to known the real alcohol content to make real time adjustments and it has to be setup in the tune to use it. Without a real sensor it can't alter the stoich ratio for the fuel nor can it use the flex fuel features such as spark advanced changes or commanded fueling under power enrichment to use the E85 or mix of fuel to the best of it's abilities.

DSX tuning also offers a flex fuel kit or you can buy the parts and plumb it yourself to save money. That is, if you can do your own work and wiring.

I have no experience with black bear as I do all my own tuning but I can only hope they are smart enough to know how to enable that feature and use the tables in the calibration to provide the customer with what they want.

Thanks for the insight.  And to BlackBear's defense I am sure they were acting under the assumption my vehicle was already flex fuel compatible.  It wasn't until after I inquired that I realized it wasn't.

So I reached out again with BlackBear and they stated they can absolutely enable the flex fuel routines for a flex fuel conversion kit.  The sensor has to be installed prior to any tuning being provided.   

Of the two flex fuel conversions, CJ or DSX, I think I am going to go the DSX route. 

Appreciate the input CamGTP!

Your wasting your money going with those expensive kits.   I just did this to my CREW CAB 2014 6.2 for about 60 bucks.  Then I enabled it in the tune with HP tuner myself.  You can just get Black Bear to do it.

You need to watch this video from Pmoore4321.  The reason I capitalized CREW CAD is the fuel lines are a little different from his Reg cab to a crew cab.  On mine I placed the sensor right where the soft line from the fuel tank makes a connection too the hard lines.  If you just unclip the soft line from the little clips that hold it down there is enough slack to fit the sensors and the fitting  right where the soft line make a 90% turn.

Then just cut wires for the sensor connector and solder or crimp.  And extend those three wires about 25" to reach the new location of the sensor.  I was done in about 30 mines from start to finish.  It the easiest and best dollar for dollar mod you can do.

He also has two other videos you can watch about E85 convertion.

• Like 1

I guess I am not patient enough.  I ordered the DSX kit then after doing so got all of this great advice.  Oh well...  I constantly see inquiries about easy performance mods.  See Headers, CAI, Cat back pretty common but seldom see mention of FlexFuel conversion.  It seems to be the best bang for your buck performance mod whether you spend $300 like I did or get it accomplished for under a $100. 

I agree 100%. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the CJ kit too.  Then i just happen to come across this video.  it is well worth it.  Gas milage not so much.  But filling up for 45.00 to 50.00 bucks is worth it.  Performance really worth it.