April Incentives

1 minute ago, sdkraemer said:

... Back to incentives talk. In the Phoenix market I've been offered about $11250 off MSRP. Unfortunately they all have add-ons ranging from $400-$1700 which kills it for me. I'm trying for $12k off MRSP.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

slip outside the city about 50 miles, the add-ons tend to go away.  Or refuse to pay more than $200 total.

11 minutes ago, lrtexasman said:

My suggestion to you would be to change your shocks out for a softer riding suspension (standard OEM shocks would be better bet) if you are not going to put weight in your bed.  Perhaps a toolbox with a few bags of sand would help your truck out.  Also do you have max towing?  If so, it is set up stiffer.  The bounce you describe cab happen with stiff springs, shocks, wheel turn while going over rocky ground and braking (ABS).  I think your biggest mistake was the Z71 package.  The regular 4x4 has a softer ride. 

Many thanks... the dealer suggested getting the transmission flashed, he thought it might have downshifted which caused the rear end to swing on a straight road. He didn't think it was the suspension and I don't have max towing, but the dealer said the Z71 is stiffer and it may have aggravated the sliding. It happened twice within two weeks of ownership but the past two weeks, it hasn't downshifted unexpectedly. I don't really remember it downshifting or even feeling it downshift, I was surprised at how the rear end slid and it was a safety issue. I mean, no truck should be at a really different angle especially when none of the pedals are pushed and the straight road has some dirt caked on top of it. I have never dealt with that on any of the other trucks, company or personal.

I am adding a tonneau to get the weight up a little. I had the bedliner sprayed, I think that added about 100 pounds.

SORRY.. this will be the last one about my truck.. now, going back to incentives. Again, my apologies.

Edited by Wiggums

One thing I don't get about the incentives is that the nicer trim packages on Ford trucks tend to have lower incentives. The Lariat didn't go for $11,000 off like the lower-rung XLT. It seems to be different with the Chevrolet but I am happy with the LED lights on my RST and it seems to be nicely equipped. I got $10,000 off and didn't have to sell my trade-in to them.

Nobody really knows what Chevrolet is offering dealerships on top of customer incentives. That is the reason why I go to cars.com and check for new Silverado. If you see at least 1 out of 10 dealers offering $10k off, you can try to negotiate that. That was how I bought my last Ford. With the Silverado, the dealership had exactly what I wanted so I stuck with that dealership offering $10,000 off. I do like the interior.

11 hours ago, lrtexasman said:

My suggestion to you would be to change your shocks out for a softer riding suspension (standard OEM shocks would be better bet) if you are not going to put weight in your bed.  Perhaps a toolbox with a few bags of sand would help your truck out.  Also do you have max towing?  If so, it is set up stiffer.  The bounce you describe cab happen with stiff springs, shocks, wheel turn while going over rocky ground and braking (ABS).  I think your biggest mistake was the Z71 package.  The regular 4x4 has a softer ride.  Anyway, I like your truck, if you really want to get rid of it, and I know you got a good deal from what you said, shoot me a PM for how much you want to sell it for.  A Ram with the 4 corner air suspension has a much smoother ride or you could go back to ford.  But I suggest you get a Tundra and deal with the fuel economy.  Solid truck with lots of standard safety features that has a nice ride, is very reliable and has great resale.   

Is that really true? I thought it was the opposite? Z71 had softer suspension setup because it is intended for offroad where you definitely want soft-er?

I should clarify that my response is a matter of preference. The Z71 shocks are tuned for off-road as they should be. They are set up to respond faster to give a more responsive and controlled ride over uneven surfaces and not a softer ride.  Twin tube shocks are the first step in a better off road ride over mono tube shocks. 

7E08F035-A4AF-4CDD-8144-B4441DA70A8F.jpeg

00A976CF-9214-4298-8B7E-585BFBDD27FF.png

Edited by lrtexasman

I've gone off-roading in the Silverado a couple times, it seems to handle better than the F-150. It's the jitteriness along with unexpected downshifting that presented a hazard. I had it on 2WD, not auto.

It seems to be better now. I will be taking it camping in Ocotillo Wells. My F-150 always did well there and I suspect the Silverado should be more stable on dirt especially at lower speeds.

I agree, my F-150 at times would have all four wheels jiggling which I didn't really mind, especially at curves on rough roads.

In the Chevy, the front stayed planted while the back end shuddered and I was off angle-wise. Straight road, wasn't turning, no pedals being pushed, and I was doing 35 on 45. That was why I was surprised. I knew the road was caked in dirt and I was prepared but it came off much more than I expected, never happened in any of the pick-up trucks I've driven.

I am not looking for better handling or even staying planted on the road, I don't care about that, but if one end stays planted while the other end doesn't, that's a cause for concern, especially after describing the road. My mechanic thinks the truck downshifted while I was going over the very rough spot on the road. I had just turned on that road and was accelerating for about 30 feet then let my foot off the gas when I saw the patch.