Considering selling my truck.

I have a 2017 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 z71. It has 40xxx miles on it. Has all the bells and whistles except for leather, heated seats, and a sunroof. It has a leveling kit with 33x11.50 Dick Cepek Extreme Country Tires and 17x8.5 XD addict 2 wheels. The set has 5000 miles on it. Tinted windows. Undercover trifold cover and a spray in Bed liner with LED lighting under the rails. I’m trying to find out what it’s worth because I’m most likely gonna sell it soon. Any info is greatly appreciated! 907be777efee89ee1dc43716026e1ce1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelly blue book and edmunds are a good place to start. Mileage will hurt value a bit. 

What was msrp? Have a pic of window sticker?

Its LT trim? Rear view cam? Navigation? Power fold mirrors? Trailer brake Controller? One owner?

You will get more private party vs trade in.

What are you going to drive next?

Kelly blue book and edmunds are a good place to start. Mileage will hurt value a bit. 

What was msrp? Have a pic of window sticker?

Its LT trim? Rear view cam? Navigation? Power fold mirrors? Trailer brake Controller? One owner?

You will get more private party vs trade in.

What are you going to drive next?

Msrp was $52,720 I can get a pic

LT Trim, rear view cam, rear parking sensors, navigation, trailer brake controller, and one owner.

Honestly I’m tired of large vehicle payments and I’m hoping to find a decent 1st gen Cummins that I can pay cash for.

good luck it's always hard to take the hit getting out of it. 

Oh you said LT so 5.3 out here (the west) there is an abundance of similar trucks ,plus with the mileage I would say high $20's to low $30's.  The worst part is now it's 2 years old and it's a new body style year. Hard to ever get ahead with vehicles.

Edited by kennerz
  • Thanks 1

good luck it's always hard to take the hit getting out of it. 

Oh you said LT so 5.3 out here (the west) there is an abundance of similar trucks ,plus with the mileage I would say high $20's to low $30's.  The worst part is now it's 2 years old and it's a new body style year. Hard to ever get ahead with vehicles.

Oh I’m gonna take a huge hit but I am just so sick of payments. I was hoping to get around 33k out of it.

I don’t know if it will bring that much. I hope that you’re able to get out from under it, cleanly. Best of luck and please keep us posted on how it goes.

I would like to reinforce that no matter what a salesman says, you will be ahead if you sell it, rather than trade it in.

I doubt you'll even get 30.
All the extras you put on it don't matter much either. 
Sorry to piss on your cornflakes but that's the truth 

It’s all good man. I figured it wouldn’t be 33 but it would be nice. lol. I need honest answers so I can list it at the right price.

The right price is the price someone is willing to pay.

If a potential buyer likes the truck they may pay $33 K.

Pick a price and list it.

If you get little interest lower the price.

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to your info provided and some assumptions, KBB says:

trade in value: 25k - 28k

private sale: 28k - 31k, average price of $29,782 

That number assumes no added value for your new wheels & tires, which they likely don't add much. You'd do better putting the OEM wheels back on and selling your aftermarket ones separately.

Someone once told me its hard to sell a vehicle worth that much at private party, a buyer has to either have cash or secure a loan for a personal transaction. Its much easier for an average person to finance from a dealer.

Also, don't discount the tax savings you get by trading in. I have no idea what your local sales tax is, but I'm roughly guessing you'd save $1500 off tax if you buy another vehicle and trade this one in. (That takes care of half of the disparity between private vs trade-in value)

That said, your highest profit will come from a private sale if you can find a buyer. But anybody that knows how to use the internet shouldn't pay you 33k. On the other hand, there are plenty of suckers out there. You may find one that loves your taste in wheels.

I'm just letting you know that private party may not be the easiest route, especially if you don't want to wait around all summer. If I were you, I'd start shopping around and seeing what kind of deal you could get with a trade-in. Then at least you know where you stand.

Get a buy offer from Vroom (Texas Direct Auto).  I've sold them 3 vehicles and they'll pick it up at your driveway from anywhere in the country.  Generally speaking, they've been super competitive.  $2-4k higher than bids from any other dealer I've worked with.

Takes less than 5 minutes to submit the request on their website and they generally send you the offer within about an hour.

As others have said, take it back to stock and sell your goodies locally.  They won't do squat if you sell or trade in at a dealer.

I'd say it would sell at $25-26k. It would sit for sale for a while for more would be my guess.

whats a brand new 1500 custom cost like $31-32k? more warranty, less miles, and only a few stickers away from being a LT z71 lol

sell the wheel tire package separate

I sold my moms last 3 Hondas for retail not private party all within 3 weeks and I’ve sold at least 25 of my own vehicles over the years myself and at least 5 others for friends and family. While it is harder to sell any vehicle over 10g it ain’t that big of a deal to find a buyer savvy ones are able to secure financing though their own financial institutions if needed. I’d look around locally at what Stealerships in the STL are asking for similar equipped trucks you’ll be surprised what they are asking for them do they get what they are asking of course not but they aren’t knocking that much off them to get them gone. Part of the reason why is ALOT of people payment shop ie. I have to pay x amount to have a x amount monthly payment. Here in Iowa I see used K2s on the lots priced higher or at similar to new trucks with insensitives from time to time (usually during “truck month” which around here is Jan-July & Sept-Dec ?) and they all get sold. Same with Craigslist and private party trucks the ones that aren’t priced stupidly high disappear rather quickly. The 40k miles won’t scare off most buyers and the “upgrades” won’t either. You’ll probably end up selling it to a younger guy or gal just starting out in life or a middle age guy for a second vehicle either of is looking for a better than new deal young guy will say 40k ain’t sh!t other guy will say I won’t put that many miles on it anyway. The other thing to remember when selling anything is you can come down on price but you can’t go up. I’m still pissed at myself for what I sold my last acreage for cause I listened to the realtor on what to list it for it sold in three days for full asking Can’t tell me I didn’t leave money on the table over that deal...

If that was my truck I’d ask 36.5k obo and “let” somebody talk me down to 34ish.

Also if your planing on selling it online I’d also park it at the end of your driveway with a big for sale sign on it cause odds are somebody in the neighborhood drives by it a couple times a week and sees it sitting there and say to themselves “l really like to have that truck”. If you set on it for a month instead of giving it away out the gate the only thing your out is another months payment and insurance. 

Also might check around your area to see what the independent dealers that do consignment sales charge if you’re not wanting to deal with people selling it yourself. Don’t know about the ones in STL but there’s one in Omaha that does the listing takes the pics deals with the people ect. and you can keep the vehicle in your possession ie. if you need it to drive. They make “appointments” if somebody local wants to look at it. No idea what they charge or if it’s worth it.

If your willing to travel for the right Cummins might try and hit this guy up with what your looking for. He’s located in Northern Iowa & sells a fair amount of trucks on Craigslist and has for years mostly “older” Dodges usually diesels not sure where he gets all of them & I have never gone and looked at any of them myself but they all look like cream puffs and are always lower mile ones. Had a hella nice 93? reg cab Cummins 4x for awhile. He don’t give them away though. You can always tell if it’s one of his by the photos always takes them in the same lot with that “shed” in the background. I’m guessing he’s a farmer with a truck selling habit? 

Here’s a ad he is currently running.

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/d/wesley-2003-dodge-x4-crew-cummins/6851477660.html

If your going to sell it for 25k like some are suggesting on here let me know I’ll bring you cash drive it next winter and sell it next spring for more. I’d do that for you ???.

2 hours ago, aseibel said:

Also, don't discount the tax savings you get by trading in. I have no idea what your local sales tax is, but I'm roughly guessing you'd save $1500 off tax if you buy another vehicle and trade this one in. (That takes care of half of the disparity between private vs trade-in value)

If I were you, I'd start shopping around and seeing what kind of deal you could get with a trade-in. Then at least you know where you stand.

Problem is he is wanting to “downgrade” his truck would be worth more than the truck he would trade for. So he ain’t going to save anything on taxes. Also trading down with most any dealer is about impossible the numbers won’t ever work well for the customer anyway...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wforrest08 said:

If that was my truck I’d ask 36.5k obo and “let” somebody talk me down to 34ish.

You made a lot of fair points, and its totally unpredictable what someone may be willing to pay. There is certainly no harm in listing it for your "best case scenario" price and waiting. You can always lower it as you said. I have sold two vehicles private party in the last few years and got right around KBB value, which was better than I could have gotten from the dealer + tax savings, but just barely.

But I can't believe, in 2019 when everyone has the internet in their pocket, that you will find a dummy that wants to pay $4,000 more than KBB says it is worth. It takes 5 minutes to get prices online.

Vehicles (and houses) listed for way too much money are pretty easy to spot and prospective shopper will just move on to another one.

I for one, would never pay some dude on craigslist $30,000 cash for a truck when I can get one at a dealership that I know has inspected it and will stand behind it if I have problems on the way home. For the price you are suggesting, I can get one from a dealer. To sell privately you have to beat prices that they could get elsewhere.

I can go to my dealer and buy this 2018 with less miles for under $34k today:

https://www.gandrudchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2018-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_LT_Z71-Green_Bay-WI/3402002543

@aseibel your over thinking this. Most of the general population doesn’t think like you and I or most of the people in these forums. Look at the idiots the vote for... I looked for a year and half before I bought mine new for a used one and finally decided I’m not paying 3/4 price for a 1/2 wore out truck. I’m surprised they did list that truck for that dealers around here anyway think used ones are worth gold

If some 20 year old kid with a good job and can secure financing was looking at these exact 2 trucks side by side for roughly the same price and thinks to himself well if I buy truck A off the lot for 34k I’ll want to level it put wheels/tires on it tint the windows spray the bed put a cover ect. on it it will cost me 1800+ bucks but if I buy truck B from this guy for 35k I save 1800 bucks! and it’s only 25 bucks a month more once he plugs the prices into his pocket computer. The last thing on his mind is something going wrong. It’s like Xmas morning the three year old playing with his new toy ain’t thinking about how sad he’ll be when he it breaks.

When my mom wanted to sell her last Civic and told me she wanted retail for it I told her it ain’t happening after looking at what was available in the marketplace. She smokes in her cars, keeps them clean but never waxed detailed no ppf ect. had average miles maintenance ect. Rock chips and scratches not “touched up”. Only thing it had was lightly tinted windows. She said nope I want retail (probably cause that’s what I got out of the one before that one for her). So I hauled it home cleaned it up took pics put 9K firm full blown retail at the time on it and listed on CL thinking well maybe I’ll get some close enuff offers as there was several identical ones with similar miles on lots in a 40 mile radius listed for same price. Had it sold for 9K three weeks later younger couple didn’t want to haggle at all already had financing pre approved though Wells all I had to do “extra” was drive it down to their bank 35 miles so that the Wells could confirm condition/mileage and pick up the check. They followed my home and picked up the car. So cost me an hour and a half and 2 gallons of gas that was in the tank anyway. Had plenty of offers for less and I asked her if any were close enough ever time with a NO every time.

Also I know at least half a dozen people who refuse to buy a used vehicle from any dealership. I read the “want ads” on CL when trying to sell something and once saw a ad a guy wanted a certain used Ford car with a handful of options. Well I drove though our local Ford stealership and they had one that met his criteria so I emailed him the link and said saw this at the local dealership. Dude emails me back I AINT BUYING YOUR POS AUCTION CAR OF YOUR FN LOT BLAH BLAH BLAH. Apparently he missed the part about I don’t work for, or are affiliated with the dealership. I’m guessing he’s one of those people also?

At my old acreage on a well traveled gravel road I would just put vehicles in the front yard with a sign. Sold several that the people didn’t even test drive. Sold a Saturn I bought just to resell guy didn’t even start it up. Asked me does it run I said yep he said I’ll take it. Even told him I all I did was drive it around for 20 minutes when I got it home to make sure it didn’t overheat and your more than welcome to test drive it. Paid me gave him the title and he came back later and got it. Sold my Harley when we moved to current acreage that was 10k+ bike guy came to look at it I asked him if he wanted to ride it NOPE want to hear it run NOPE I started it anyway gave me a deposit came back to get it with a trailer. Want to take if for a ride NOPE want me to take for a ride so you can see... NOPE after a couple minutes of him staring at the bike and the trailer I asked would you like me to ride it onto that trailer for you? YEP

Father in laws best friend owned the Dodge dealer in their town before he passed away. I’d ask him all kinds of dealer type questions. Asked him if people ever just pay sticker price he said “more offen than you would ever think”.