GM Average 2019 Truck Transaction Prices Up $8,040 Compared To Outgoing Models

Gorehamj

2019-GMC-Sierra-Elevation-035.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
4-2-2019

On average, GM truck buyers are paying $8,040 more for 2019 model year trucks than 2018 model year trucks and GMC's Sierra is the highest cost truck on average. This according to GM's latest sales report. GM credits this statistic to J.D. Power PIN estimates. In support of the higher consumer cost claims, GM says, "More than 95 percent of the all-new GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab sales are high-end trims including SLT, AT4 and Denali."

“Our production launch was very smooth and crew cab sales are brisk, especially those with premium trims,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president, Sales Operations. “We look forward to improving availability of our wide-range of cabs, trim series and powertrains.” “We are bullish on pickups and expect to gain sales momentum throughout the year,” said McNeil. “We are installing capacity in Flint to build more HD pickups in total, more crew cab models, more dualies and diesel models, too, all in response to dealer and customer demand.”

Overall, GM says its average transaction prices rose $938 to a first-quarter record of $35,881. This according to GM's data source,   J.D. Power PIN.

• Sad 1

On 4/2/2019 at 2:20 PM, Gorehamj said:

More than 95 percent of the all-new GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab sales are high-end trims including SLT, AT4 and Denali.

That's pretty much all they keep on the lot. I don't think I've seen a single new SLE on a dealer lot around here. 

On 4/3/2019 at 7:46 AM, pickmeup said:

That would be a work truck model payment lol.

Try 1000 to 900 in Canada a month.   The prices will go down once now one is buying them anymore.

I traded a good 2016 for a 2018 just to avoid this new truck the auto on off and the price.

This boy is out of the marker for a good while this time.  

On 4/4/2019 at 11:15 AM, jlong1984 said:

That's pretty much all they keep on the lot. I don't think I've seen a single new SLE on a dealer lot around here. 

Spoke to the guy who orders for my local dealer said he will not order crew SLE 4x4s.  Said he would dealer trade for one. Then commented probably be cheaper to get a base SLT. Told him no a SLE is cheaper than an SLT and he should order across his product line, even if it’s just a few trucks. 

Edited by lrtexasman

Dealers tend to order only base level work trucks and highly packed high end trucks and SUV's. Best option is to make a deal on a special order truck and get as little bling as possible. They used to sell a $4,000 package to get a $400 navigation unit and now they sucker people into spending $4,000 for an "entertainment system". Instead of selling a $500 undercoating treatment they are now selling a spray on bed liner coating for $750.

But when most people are making 1980 level wages then they can afford 2019 truck prices with all the money they don't earn. What does not show in the numbers are the much longer period of years that people are holding onto their current vehicle to avoid paying the prices for the new ones.

Sales are quite soft now with the internet sales people offering to sell me a 2019 truck at $6,000 below MSRP before I step onto the lot.

Not too long ago SLT left overs were going for 34-36K. I haven’t looked lately, in a few months it will happen again. Without down payment and good credit that would be under 800$ per month. If you have to have it right now the latest model you’ll pay. Wait a few months get it as a leftover pay much less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, and for a good amount of the launch period so far only the higher trims were available.  So of course average transaction prices were higher.  It'll be a lot more interesting to compare 2020 average prices to 2018s after the full range is readily available for the full year.

• Like 3

After I posted I checked. My local Texas dealer is still selling SLT leftovers for 34K and a little higher. That’s before you negotiate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk