Anything you hate about your truck?

13 minutes ago, Silverado-Hareek said:

Same here.  I've had my truck for 5 years now and I can probably count on one hand how many times I've used the key in the ignition to start it up.  I pretty  much always use the remote start.  It shouldn't hurt anything to do it every time and I fall into that crowd of letting your vehicle run for a couple of minutes before you just get up and go.  Some people I know are throwing their vehicles into gear while the start up chime is still going off...I don't understand that kind of abuse.  These are the same people that throw it into drive and hit the gas while the vehicle is still rolling backwards from going in reverse.

I was under the impression that "warming up" a vehicle was more damaging than not...Granted, all of these articles are talking about winter weather but the principle is the same, regardless of the temperature. Is there any evidence to suggest that starting your truck and then putting it into gear within a few seconds is "abusive" as you put?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a30249/why-you-shouldnt-warm-up-your-car/

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/29/574693579/should-you-warm-up-your-car-before-driving-to-work

https://www.carfax.com/blog/do-you-need-to-warm-your-car-up

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a19086/warming-up-your-car-in-the-cold-just-harms-engine/

15 minutes ago, Silverado-Hareek said:

Same here.  I've had my truck for 5 years now and I can probably count on one hand how many times I've used the key in the ignition to start it up.  I pretty  much always use the remote start.  It shouldn't hurt anything to do it every time and I fall into that crowd of letting your vehicle run for a couple of minutes before you just get up and go.  Some people I know are throwing their vehicles into gear while the start up chime is still going off...I don't understand that kind of abuse.  These are the same people that throw it into drive and hit the gas while the vehicle is still rolling backwards from going in reverse.

On of the guys at work, will have his clutch released in 1st gear pulling off before his start solenoid has time to go back into its resting position. Drove it like that for a few years... finally one day he said he thinks he blew his motor, mechanic said all his crank bearings are shot. I said, Hmmm... can't imagine why haha

I dislike some of the small conveniences that it does not have compared to my prior ride, Jeep Grand Cherokee

• Only drivers window is auto up??
  • Heated seats and steering wheel do not come on automatically when cold out.
  • Tailgate does not lock with the electric locks or the key fob
  • There is still an ignition key
  • Cannot unlock or lock doors without touching the key fob.

Otherwise I love my truck!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCPGMC said:

I was under the impression that "warming up" a vehicle was more damaging than not...Granted, all of these articles are talking about winter weather but the principle is the same, regardless of the temperature. Is there any evidence to suggest that starting your truck and then putting it into gear within a few seconds is "abusive" as you put?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a30249/why-you-shouldnt-warm-up-your-car/

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/29/574693579/should-you-warm-up-your-car-before-driving-to-work

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a19086/warming-up-your-car-in-the-cold-just-harms-engine/

Way I see it... If you turned your heart off for 10 hours and all the blood drained down to your feet and legs,  then someone woke you up and your heart started pumping blood again, would you be ready to run a marathon immediately?

I know, this is a big difference, but concept is the same in my simple head. 

Plus the fact that I usually only drive a couple miles, if I didnt let my engine warm up for a 5 before I pulled off, it would never hit operating temps. Even then, sometimes in the winter it doesnt. 

I used to be a mechanic and I've seen what happens when someone does a lot of short trips and don't change their oil often enough. by idling more often (in open loop), I know the oil will get some extra fuel blow by, but I offset that by changing the oil more often than the oil indicator on the dash tells me to and adjusting by oil analysis results. 

1 minute ago, BobJ said:

I dislike some of the small conveniences that it does not have compared to my prior ride, Jeep Grand Cherokee

The heated seats will come on during auto start in cold weather and the tailgate does lock if so equipped (both do in my Sierra SLT). Does your truck not have a key slot in the driver door for a key to lock/unlock the truck? Some cars are like that but I have a key slot in mine...

3 minutes ago, BobJ said:

heated seats can come on, there is a setting in the cluster for that. 

my tailgate locks with the fob, i'm not sure with the door switch. Sounds like something is not working right on yours. 

Mine is a 2015 LTZ, tailgate does not lock except with key. My grand cherokee doors could lock by pressing small button on handle and unlock just by touching handle. My truck requires me to use the FOB to unlock door, since I have to use the key to start the truck it has to come out of my pocket anyway. Never had to remove FOB from my pocket with Grand Cherokee. I know Chevy has this technology because my 2006 Vette had it.

I can use key to unlock the doors, I really just meant that I had to actually touch the FOB to do it.

5 minutes ago, rah7777777 said:

Way I see it... If you turned your heart off for 10 hours and all the blood drained down to your feet and legs,  then someone woke you up and your heart started pumping blood again, would you be ready to run a marathon immediately?

I know, this is a big difference, but concept is the same in my simple head. 

Plus the fact that I usually only drive a couple miles, if I didnt let my engine warm up for a 5 before I pulled off, it would never hit operating temps. Even then, sometimes in the winter it doesnt. 

I used to be a mechanic and I've seen what happens when someone does a lot of short trips and don't change their oil often enough. by idling more often (in open loop), I know the oil will get some extra fuel blow by, but I offset that by changing the oil more often than the oil indicator on the dash tells me to and adjusting by oil analysis results. 

I get the purpose of your analogy but I don't think it's a very good one...you don't change your blood every so often do you? Did you actually read any of the article and watch that 3 minute video in the road and track article? 

2 minutes ago, BobJ said:

Mine is a 2015 LTZ, tailgate does not lock except with key. My grand cherokee doors could lock by pressing small button on handle and unlock just by touching handle. My truck requires me to use the FOB to unlock door, since I have to use the key to start the truck it has to come out of my pocket anyway. Never had to remove FOB from my pocket with Grand Cherokee. I know Chevy has this technology because my 2006 Vette had it.

I can use key to unlock the doors, I really just meant that I had to actually touch the FOB to do it.

Did the 'vette or the Jeep have push-button-start? I think that goes hand-in-hand with that...No need in putting a button on the door to unlock it when you have to have the key out anyways to start the truck. My wife's '09 Nissan is the same way, push button on the door and push button start...never need to handle the key or fob. 

49 minutes ago, FHLH said:

The rancho shocks... swapped in Bilsteins and couldn't be happier

Remote start, but no keyless go... ridiculous.

The v4 mode. since disabled.

woulda liked to have had a 6.2, but I bought used.

other than that, can't really complain

Another set of Rancho shocks bite the dust.  I love it! :thumbs:

35 minutes ago, NCPGMC said:

Yeah I've seen all of these same articles.  And no I don't have evidence that it's abusive per se.  It just makes sense in my mind to let the engine get going for a couple of minutes before just driving off after the vehicle has been sitting.  And this time should be adjusted for cold weather.  If the truck has been sitting overnight in 10 degree weather, no way will I ever believe that starting it and immediately driving off is fine to do....that thing needs to warm up.  Next time you start your truck, observe what the RPM's are doing.  It's usually revved up pretty high initially and then it starts to settle down after about a minute and it eventually settles at it's comfortable idle of around 500 rpm.  If it's at 1000-1500 rpm when you immediately start it, but then it's natural idle state is actually 500 rpm's and it gets to that state after running for a minute or so, that to me is what you need to wait for before driving off....let it get to that natural idle state.  But again I don't have direct evidence for this.  It's just me thinking about what is going on with the truck and doing what makes sense to me.

34 minutes ago, rah7777777 said:

One of the guys at work, will have his clutch released in 1st gear pulling off before his start solenoid has time to go back into its resting position. Drove it like that for a few years... finally one day he said he thinks he blew his motor, mechanic said all his crank bearings are shot. I said, Hmmm... can't imagine why haha

Yeah I don't understand this level of disregard at all haha

37 minutes ago, NCPGMC said:

I get the purpose of your analogy but I don't think it's a very good one...you don't change your blood every so often do you? Did you actually read any of the article and watch that 3 minute video in the road and track article? 

I do a partial drain and fill. About 1.5 pints every 60 to 90 days with Red Cross and Carter blood care. haha

.... to be fair, i did say in my simple head. 

but even then, like I said, i just change my oil on a regular basis (based off of oil analysis testing) to ensure i'm not running around with too much fuel blow by in the crankcase. peace of mind with actual test results, cleaner oil, and circulated oil before putting it in gear, and its all good to me.

But I should note, i'm in it for the long haul, my last truck was 16 years old and ran with no problems when I sold her. With any luck, my 2018 Silverado will be my sons truck through high school (he is 4 now).

If i sold off my vehicles every 5-10 years, I might not be so anal about letting it warm up a bit before pulling off. 

1 minute ago, rah7777777 said:

I do a partial drain and fill. About 1.5 pints every 60 to 90 days with Red Cross and Carter blood care. haha

.... to be fair, i did say in my simple head. 

but even then, like I said, i just change my oil on a regular basis (based off of oil analysis testing) to ensure i'm not running around with too much fuel blow by in the crankcase. peace of mind with actual test results, cleaner oil, and circulated oil before putting it in gear, and its all good to me.

But I should note, i'm in it for the long haul, my last truck was 16 years old and ran with no problems when I sold her. With any luck, my 2018 Silverado will be my sons truck through high school (he is 4 now).

If i sold off my vehicles every 5-10 years, I might not be so anal about letting it warm up a bit before pulling off. 

For me, I crank my truck as soon as i get in, then put on my seatbelt, adjust my radio, etc...and by then launch...usually less than a minute but more than 10 or 15 seconds...I know some people that use remote start a minimum of 3 times in the morning to "warm up" the truck...that's 30 minutes of idle time! I mainly use my remote start in the dog-days of summer and in the dead of winter. In the other parts of spring/summer (when the high is maybe 80-ish) I like to hold the unlock to put all the windows down while I am walking to the truck to let that big blast of heat out.

On 4/15/2019 at 10:01 AM, NCPGMC said:

Did the 'vette or the Jeep have push-button-start? I think that goes hand-in-hand with that...No need in putting a button on the door to unlock it when you have to have the key out anyways to start the truck. My wife's '09 Nissan is the same way, push button on the door and push button start...never need to handle the key or fob. 

Both had push button start. Vette was really cool, You could set the doors to lock as fob gets out of range and unlock when you get into range. If dark marker lights could come on when you approach the car.

• 2 weeks later...

The only things that I hated about my '15 Silverado was the things that my '10 Ridgeline had that it did not.

• Sunglasses holder was a PITA to put my shades in/out
  • No sunroof
  • Bit of a pain to mount my CB & antenna
  • No split screen functions (half radio & half NAV)

With my '18, there isn't much that I don't like about it.

• it's not my '15
    • No ID holder in/on the dash
    • Good location to mount my phone
    • No AUTO Settings for each driver
  • Cupholder in FULL center console doesn't move
  • Hard shift from 1 to 2 (lately)
  • USB playback will not continue from the playlist that was playing when the truck was turned off
  • Sunroof has two control switches, most other vehicles have one that does all of the same things
  • TOO MUCH CHROME for being a Midnight Edition (I'm going to remedy before the end of the summer)