In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
BigOrange

4L80e TCC Solenoid

Hey guys - hopefully this hasn't been beaten to death on here already...but my searches were giving all sorts of results.  

The long version...I've got an 06 3500 with the 6.0L-4L80e combo in it.  Truck has 270K (170 miles) and I don't have the full history but it has always driven and shifted perfectly - nice clean fluid.  Recently we towed a small trailer back home and it ran/shifted perfectly as usual, but as soon as we parked and unhooked the trailer I had some quick/rough/tight shifting going on. 

At home I scanned it and it ran code P0894 (Transmission component slipping) which I cleared and it was back to shifting perfect.  I dropped the pan/pumped out all fluid anyway and everything looked great...zero material on the magnet..could probably have re-used the fluid it looked so good.  Again, driving around town it seemed to shift perfect.  Went on the highway and paid closer attention and sure enough I can tell I'm not getting full lock-up as the RPM's were at least a few hundred higher than normal at highway speed.  The trans temp also crept higher than I usually notice after a while indicating additional slip/heat generation, but nothing even close to dangerous (in the realm of 50-60 Celsius or 120-140F).  Ran codes again - got both P0894 but also P0741 (TCC Stuck Off).

Okay - read a lot about how this very well could be a faulty TCC solenoid since it came out of nowhere, and there was no previous issue or burnt/brown fluid, random slips or shudders, etc.  So seems electrical to me that something is telling the converter to not lock up.

I took it to a pretty reputable shop - and they seem to think the same after taking it out and running a better scanner/watching things happen vs. my generic OBD reader.  But they tell me of course they THINK they know which solenoid it is based on what they seen on the scan...but are being a bit coy to tell me which it is since apparently there are 6 of them???  So I'm totally capable of again pulling the pan and replacing the solenoid myself vs. having them do it only to tell me that after $500, that wasn't the one/isn't the problem.  I'm also not necessarily blaming them since I get that's sometimes how these things go with electrical demons.

But if they won't tell me which one they think it is tomorrow is there any way to put a better finger on it myself?  I'm hoping they will or at least give me the part number on an estimate so I can see for myself but if they won't whats my next bet aside from taking it to another shop for another diagnosis?

- As mentioned, it doesn't seem to throw the code in driving around town where I see numerous 1-2, 2-3 shifts......so would that lead me toward the 3-4 shift solenoid or if there is one for locking up 4th on the highway since that's where it seems to throw the codes???

As I recall the TCC solenoid is right up front in the middle. ( Closest to the torque converter) Furthest forward.  I have seen the wiring harden and break as well. Always re use the stock pan "gasket"  the aftermarket suck .

Thanks FormulaBruce - and yeah I got a brand new OEM gasket when I just changed the fluid and filter.

however isn’t there like 6 solenoids or are those in reference to the shift solenoids and not the TCC Lock Up?  Again I’ll see what the shop says but they mentioned briefly yesterday about thinking it was one of six - meaning shift....even though I’m still leaning towards the lock-up

Okay - so I still have to chat with the mechanic direct as he’s off today......but he has listed as a suspect Transmission Torque Converter Clutch Pulse Width Modulator Valve.

So....anyone have issues with this particular piece of equipment and if I’m in there should I do both that and TCC solenoid as a precautionary measure also???