Previous F150 owners inputs on the 2019 gm's

Hey guys,

I currently own a 2017 F150, 3.5 ECO, XLT, FX4. Overall I would say I am happy with the ford. Great passing power, great fuel mileage, painted frame, huge flat load rear floor and quiet ride. All of this aside, I have had a few issues, including the engine rattle after letting of the gas, and issues with the hubs grinding in cold weather. None of which ford has fixed. I am currently looking at a 2019 Silverado RST. Looking for input on a few things and wanted to see what other previous Ford owners have noticed after switching over. Is the ride as quiet? how is the Bose sound system, do you ever wish you had more power out of the 5.3? And how does the truck handle cold weather..... Im talking -45 Celsius without the wind chill. Also how does the 8 speed tow? And lastly, how are the new LED headlights..... the halogens on my F150 are complete garbage.

I know its a lot but if anyone could provide input it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

37 minutes ago, Bleedblue11 said:

Hey guys,

I currently own a 2017 F150, 3.5 ECO, XLT, FX4. Overall I would say I am happy with the ford. Great passing power, great fuel mileage, painted frame, huge flat load rear floor and quiet ride. All of this aside, I have had a few issues, including the engine rattle after letting of the gas, and issues with the hubs grinding in cold weather. None of which ford has fixed. I am currently looking at a 2019 Silverado RST. Looking for input on a few things and wanted to see what other previous Ford owners have noticed after switching over. Is the ride as quiet? how is the Bose sound system, do you ever wish you had more power out of the 5.3? And how does the truck handle cold weather..... Im talking -45 Celsius without the wind chill. Also how does the 8 speed tow? And lastly, how are the new LED headlights..... the halogens on my F150 are complete garbage.

I know its a lot but if anyone could provide input it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

In my opinion, the led headlights are great and the Bose system kicks butt.  Nice, crisp sound and much better than the stock radio.  I have a Trailboss, not an RST but the Bose radio and headlights are same.

1 hour ago, Bleedblue11 said:

Hey guys,

I traded a 200 Ford F150 with the 5.4 in on my current 2019 Silverado LT.  I also have a 2015 Yukon XL SLT2 with the 5.3 and a 2015 Challenger SRT 392.  Maybe I am qualified to answer your questions.  I have previously owned a 2011 Yukon XL Denali, 2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0, and a 2006 Sierra SLT.  

First, lets answer some of those questions....

1. Is the ride quiet?  You bet.  You are in a totally different Eco system.  My Yukon is pretty quiet too, but that thing is a luxury road king machine.  It is purpose built for traveling.  If I leave the radio turned down, aside from the normal noises you hear from just about anything; there are no rattles, squeaks, cracks, and just about anything else.  This is a far cry from my 2004 F150 and 2010 Sierra.  Those were some noisy vehicles.  The ride is extremely smooth and the whole truck just feels solid.  Previous trucks always felt like the front and the bed had minds of their own and the only way to combat that was to put weight back there.  That is not the case here.  Very smooth, solid, and comfortable ride.

2. How is the Bose?  I had the Bose in my 2006 Sierra, 2010 Sierra, 2011 Yukon, and 2015 Yukon with the Blu-Ray system.  My Yukon sounds pretty damn good.  The trucks I had?  Not so much.  The mids to highs were always good, but that little 8 inch woofer always left more to be desired.  I always added my own subwoofer to round out the system.  As the old saying goes....Got mids, but no lows?  Must be Bose....  My 2019 has the basic sound system with 6x9 doors, tweeters in the dash, and some 6x8 in the rear doors.  I just moved my old 10 inch Alpine in an underseat box to round out the system.  Sounds great to me.  At this point I see no reason to go further.  I listen to a wide array of music.  The only thing I am bummed about is while it has USB-C connections and Android Auto, it doesnt have SiriusXM, Ipod, or Aux-in.  I had to go external for those items.  Seems weird that even the basic system doesnt have some basic ammenities.  I will get to this later....

3.  More power?  I am blown away with what they did with the 8-speed and the gearing.  The 5.3 is a monster right now.  I can only imagine what the 6.2 would be like.  Coming from my 2015 Challenger 392, this truck scoots.  It has a crap ton of low end and when it reaches the 3-4k RPM range it just gets up and goes.  My 2015 Yukon has some torque, but it is a 6-speed and just doesnt have the gears like the 2019 has.  They got the power delivery just right.  Average driving around town I am anywhere between 16-18 MPG with 24+ out on the highway.  You won't be dissapointed with the 5.3 in this 2019, it does very well for itself.

4.  Winter?  We are just coming out of a bitter winter in the upper midwest.  I'd say it handles fine.  

5.  Towing?  Don't know.  I don't pull much.

6.  LED Lights?  I like them.  I retrofitted actual projectors and HIDs in almost every vehicle I have ever own.  I usually go to the retrofit source and get the mini-H1's and outfit some 35 watt 4k HIDs.  GM did a good job with the LEDs.  They are bright and have good projection downrange.  The high-beam gets where it needs to go.  Not quite in the HID projector range, but you have to figure that GM needed to design these lights to work in almost all types of environment.  If you live in the midwest where street lights are a luxury, then you may find them to be good enough most of the time.  My projectors were designed to dip down out of oncoming traffic, but the downrange in the front of the vehicle was fantastic.  In bi-xenon high beam, I could see into tomorrow.  Comparing the LEDs to halogen, the LEDs win hands down.  The LEDs are a significant upgrade over halogen.  If we are talking GM stock LED vs HID?  Ermmm....I think my HID projectors are still preferred.  As a stock solution though, the LEDs are great.  I see no reason I modify or alter them in any way.  I may consider supplementing with a light bar or something that can reach further down range and maybe help fill in some of the areas right in front of the truck.  Then again, I could not do any of that and probably still be fine too.  It's a mixed bag.  They are worlds better than halogens though, no question.

Last thing to consider about 2019 Silverado's.  The options are weird.  There are things my truck has that you wouldn't think would be there considering the trim level, but then there are things it doesn't have that I feel are just basic stuff these days.  Sunglasses holder?  Nope.  Garage opener?  Nope.  LED turn signals/tail lights?  Nope.  Navigation?  Nope.  Overall better radio options?  Nope.  Auto dim rearview?  Nope.  Wheel well liners?  Nope.  Bed liner?  Nope.  Fog lights?  Nope.

For a truck that MSRPs around $50k and I was OTD around low $40's, I guess I just don't understand.  Especially when it has heated steering wheel, heated cloth seats, brake controller, 4WD, G80 locker, LED headlights, remote start, and LED bed lighting.  It just has things that don't make sense.  I guess because I am used to GMC where almost all that crap is standard.  You just never think about it until its not there.  So make sure you know what you are willing to live without so you don't have to do what I am doing and find alternate solutions.

Hope this helps.  Goodluck!

Edited by grimmysnr
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, grimmysnr said:

I traded a 200 Ford F150 with the 5.4 in on my current 2019 Silverado LT.  I also have a 2015 Yukon XL SLT2 with the 5.3 and a 2015 Challenger SRT 392.  Maybe I am qualified to answer your questions.  I have previously owned a 2011 Yukon XL Denali, 2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0, and a 2006 Sierra SLT.  

1. Is the ride quiet?  You bet.  You are in a totally different Eco system.  My Yukon is pretty quiet too, but that thing is a luxury road king machine.  It is purpose built for traveling.  If I leave the radio turned down, aside from the normal noises you hear from just about anything; there are no rattles, squeaks, cracks, and just about anything else.  This is a far cry from my 2004 F150 and 2010 Sierra.  Those were some noisy vehicles.  The ride is extremely smooth and the whole truck just feels solid.  Previous trucks always felt like the front and the bed had minds of their own and the only way to combat that was to put weight back there.  That is not the case here.  Very smooth, solid, and comfortable ride.

2. How is the Bose?  I had the Bose in my 2006 Sierra, 2010 Sierra, 2011 Yukon, and 2015 Yukon with the Blu-Ray system.  My Yukon sounds pretty damn good.  The trucks I had?  Not so much.  The mids to highs were always good, but that little 8 inch woofer always left more to be desired.  I always added my own subwoofer to round out the system.  As the old saying goes....Got mids, but no lows?  Must be Bose....  My 2019 has the basic sound system with 6x9 doors, tweeters in the dash, and some 6x8 in the rear doors.  I just moved my old 10 inch Alpine in an underseat box to round out the system.  Sounds great to me.  At this point I see no reason to go further.  I listen to a wide array of music.  The only thing I am bummed about is while it has USB-C connections and Android Auto, it doesnt have SiriusXM, Ipod, or Aux-in.  I had to go external for those items.  Seems weird that even the basic system doesnt have some basic ammenities.  I will get to this later....

3.  More power?  I am blown away with what they did with the 8-speed and the gearing.  The 5.3 is a monster right now.  I can only imagine what the 6.2 would be like.  Coming from my 2015 Challenger 392, this truck scoots.  It has a crap ton of low end and when it reaches the 3-4k RPM range it just gets up and goes.  My 2015 Yukon has some torque, but it is a 6-speed and just doesnt have the gears like the 2019 has.  They got the power delivery just right.  Average driving around town I am anywhere between 16-18 MPG with 24+ out on the highway.  You won't be dissapointed with the 5.3 in this 2019, it does very well for itself.

4.  Winter?  We are just coming out of a bitter winter in the upper midwest.  I'd say it handles fine.  

6.  LED Lights?  I like them.  I retrofitted actual projectors and HIDs in almost every vehicle I have ever own.  I usually go to the retrofit source and get the mini-H1's and outfit some 35 watt 4k HIDs.  GM did a good job with the LEDs.  They are bright and have good projection downrange.  The high-beam gets where it needs to go.  Not quite in the HID projector range, but you have to figure that GM needed to design these lights to work in almost all types of environment.  If you live in the midwest where street lights are a luxury, then you may find them to be good enough most of the time.  My projectors were designed to dip down out of oncoming traffic, but the downrange in the front of the vehicle was fantastic.  In bi-xenon high beam, I could see into tomorrow.  Comparing the LEDs to halogen, the LEDs win hands down.  The LEDs are a significant upgrade over halogen.  If we are talking GM stock LED vs HID?  Ermmm....I think my HID projectors are still preferred.  As a stock solution though, the LEDs are great.  I see no reason I modify or alter them in any way.  I may consider supplementing with a light bar or something that can reach further down range and maybe help fill in some of the areas right in front of the truck.  Then again, I could not do any of that and probably still be fine too.  It's a mixed bag.  They are worlds better than halogens though, no question.

Last thing to consider about 2019 Silverado's.  The options are weird.  There are things my truck has that you wouldn't think would be there considering the trim level, but then there are things it doesn't have that I feel are just basic stuff these days.  Sunglasses holder?  Nope.  Garage opener?  Nope.  LED turn signals/tail lights?  Nope.  Navigation?  Nope.  Overall better radio options?  Nope.  Auto dim rearview?  Nope.  Wheel well liners?  Nope.  Bed liner?  Nope.  Fog lights?  Nope.

For a truck that MSRPs around $50k and I was OTD around low $40's, I guess I just don't understand.  Especially when it has heated steering wheel, heated cloth seats, brake controller, 4WD, G80 locker, LED headlights, remote start, and LED bed lighting.  It just has things that don't make sense.  I guess because I am used to GMC where almost all that crap is standard.  You just never think about it until its not there.  So make sure you know what you are willing to live without so you don't have to do what I am doing and find alternate solutions.

Thanks so much my man, great information in here. I live north of Edmonton so artificial lighting is a rarity here as well. I currently have 6.5 Hertz mille speakers up front, Hertz energys in the rear, and 2 10 inch JL TW1s under the seat. I know the Bose sound system wont hold a candle to this but I would rather just leave it all stock anyway. I noticed the missing features you talked about as well and I would have to say the biggest downfall is the lack of adjustable pedals and Mirror turn signals.... im pretty sure GM pioneered this in trucks, why they got rid of it is beyond me. 

3 minutes ago, Bleedblue11 said:

Thanks so much my man, great information in here. I live north of Edmonton so artificial lighting is a rarity here as well. I currently have 6.5 Hertz mille speakers up front, Hertz energys in the rear, and 2 10 inch JL TW1s under the seat. I know the Bose sound system wont hold a candle to this but I would rather just leave it all stock anyway. I noticed the missing features you talked about as well and I would have to say the biggest downfall is the lack of adjustable pedals and Mirror turn signals.... im pretty sure GM pioneered this in trucks, why they got rid of it is beyond me. 

Coming from that sound system you have there, the Bose will just make you mad.  Take those subs and put them in a box under the seat of your new Silverado and you will be fine probably.  I just did this and I am happy.  I am even considering throwing another 10" at it.  The Bose is great for all around sound, but for audiophiles looking for something special, you will be modifying it later....no doubt.

If you want SiriusXM make sure you get conveince package 2. I drove an RST and a few trail boss models. The ride seemed better on the trail boss with the 18 inch tires vs the 20 inch on the RST. Get the z71 so you get the dual exhaust and locking differential. You can get a package that includes wheel wells, spray on bedliner, brake controller. The advanced Trailer package comes with tpms sensors for you trailer tires and displays the psi right in you dash and also tracks trailer miles. I drove 2 2019 f150s xlts loaded with the 5.0 and 3.5. I was not impressed at all.

Also there is an issue with some early build trucks with leaking back windows so take that under advisement.

If the VIN starts with 3 it is a Mexican made truck. Just an fyi. 1 vins are US final assembly.

Gm frame wax is horrible. Get it krowned or rust proofing day 1.

The RST will have a painted bumper which chip easy. Get paint film on asap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I miss the keypad on my F-150 but you can get that as an accessory with the Silverado. Like you, I had a 2016 Ford F150 XLT with 302A, centre console, 4x4, pretty nice. I live in California so there's no cold weather here and I didn't have the rattle.

Now, I own a 2019 Silverado RST and I had to get Convenience Package II to get the Bose. Very happy with it, I seem to be having more initial problems with the Silverado compared to the F-150. The back end is much more jumpy than the front and I've let off the gas and brakes, while driving on a very straight road, only to have the back come off by a foot or two, placing me at an angle and about to hit parked cars. It's happened twice... I think it's because the road was very dirty, and it downshifted. It hasn't happened in the past two weeks so that's good.

I made sure the new 2019 Silverado also had the center console, I can't live without it. The 2018's and before didn't have vent for rear seat passengers, the new 2019's do. Also, there's 110V plugs in the front dash and in the bed. The storage bin in the center console comes with USB plug and there's another USB plug (and USB-C) in the back seat, but no 110V plug. I'm OK with that, I'm usually charging my phone in the front seat.

The transmission seems to like giving me a jolt, especially at mornings and when I shift it into D. It's unsettling, the loud thunk. The dealer did something with it and it is better now, not downshifting anymore so it was a computer thing.

The Bose system is fantastic, I like the bass, way better than the Ford F-150! Also, the gas mileage is a lot better, I'm getting 24 to 26 on the highway. My old F-150 could do only 18, but I think it was because of the shell. It used to get around 20 to 22 then it dropped to 16 to 18 after I got it. My old 2102 F-150 4x4 Screw got around 22 to 24 mpg. Don't know why the 2016 with the aluminum body got worse than my 2012, both had the Coyote V-8.

As for performance, I am a very slow driver, I would still be happy even if it had half the power. If I wanted a sports car, I'd have gotten a Camaro.

My 2016 F-150 had the long bed, but the 2019 Silverado doesn't and it seems to be really big. I could sleep diagonally in the back, I could not do that in my 2012 short bed so I had to go for the long bed in 2016. The 2019's short bed is 3 inches longer than the F-150's short bed but it's the extra width that also makes it a lot bigger.

Ride's quieter with Silverado and it seems the Silverado's front end stays glued to the ground the back jumps everywhere. My F-150 jumped on all four tires instead. I don't know which one is better. I like the storage in the back seat of the RST, I can put my cigars in there and impress my friends.

The LED lights, LOVE IT!

45 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

The ride seemed better on the trail boss with the 18 inch tires vs the 20 inch on the RST. Get the z71 so you get the dual exhaust and locking differential.

I have the Z71 in mine and my RST has 18 wheel tires. I looked at the window sticker and I can confirm it's 18. Ride quality's good though.

Here are my thoughts from owning a 15 150 Platinum 5.0

As an intro i traded a 15 denali for the platinum, why....well it had the 360 cam, remote tailgate, adaptive cruise, led everything, better radio, bigger cab, power steps, no afm, better controls (like trailer monitor...), more HP and Torque as I could not get the 6.2 at the time...it just was a nicer truck inside.

Just about to pull the trigger on an at4.  It is finally is bigger inside and has most of what my f150 has now, and its a 6.2, hud like my vette and 16 acadia denali, and a stock lift, tailgate, and no useless full glass sunroof.  downsides are no adaptive, bose is not as well rounded and no power steps (because its an AT4).

Just want something different, i have had 3 denalis, still think the GM interior needs help, but its a nicer looking and driving truck to me.

Only issue with my f150 is I had the back glass leaking problem where they had to replace it. My at4 is a recent build and has most of the options (like the tech package) so hopefully no issue there.  Just waiting for it to get here.

Edited by quicksilverc5

20 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

And 4 low!!! Mainly 4 low!

Gosh, you're not kidding! I didn't even know that there was no 4 low on the non-Z71 models. I just used 4 low at a campsite yesterday trying to get over a curb on a dirt road! 4 low's a must and I thought all Silverado's had it.

I just looked it up, zoomed in on a few pictures and discovered not all 4x4's had 4 low. I thought all did, wow.

That's GOOD to know!

Yup, I’ve heard of more than a couple people who bought their truck and then found out the hard way that it didn’t have low range. Need z71/x31, or the 6.2. I assume the Duramax will also have it standard.

Pretty dumb though. This is a bigger head scratcher to me than the deletion of power pedals or any of the other missing features.

• Like 1

The idea of audiophiles adding subs to a Bose system to make it sound better....is pretty funny.

The issue with Bose is the lack of dedicated tweeters. The low end is fine. I've had plenty of amps and subs in my time, but unless you're looking for bone-jarring thump, the stock bose system is fine in the low end. It's awful at creating a distinct sound stage, and higher frequencies are either soft or harsh depending on how you tune things. 

That said, it's perfectly fine for a stock system. The non-Bose system is total garbage that needs a full amp and speaker replacement.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grimmysnr said:

Which trim did you buy with your LT? Z71 or Max Tow Package? Do you have the 3.23 or 3.42 gears? I have been leaning towards the RST so I can get the fog lights and Bose also? Thanks for your great review!

Edited by Snuff