Previous F150 owners inputs on the 2019 gm's

I believe it, my F-150 with the 5.0 and 6-speed definitely had more power than the current 5.3 V8 even with the 8-speed, but I am getting better gas mileage with the 5.3 V8. It's a trade-off I am willing to live with.

3 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

Brothers F150 and Good Freinds F150 have never had any issues with their locking ends/differential . But i understand your stating facts from what magazine again that states ford is the worst ? lol  :) 

Not that they have issues with the rear ends, historically speaking Ford does make a better rear end. Look to the Ford 9" for example it is King of the hot rod world. I am speaking in terms of traction. Most F150's come with an open diff, you need FX4 or Platinum trim levels to get a Limited slip, and even those can be ordered with open differentials so you have to be careful when buying one. And even at that, the limited slip always biases power to one side or the other, the G80 is a true locker once actuated. Just watch a few "boat ramp tests" on YT or when one side of the truck is on pavement and the other is on ice.

I was always a GM guy on trucks till I decided to give it a try on that '15 F150 eco I had.  I got it over a GM at the time because I have a kid and the back seat of an F150 up until this year was vastly bigger than any GM truck.  Don't get me wrong, I love my new 6.2 LTZ, but to be completely honest having owned and driven both if I could have found a Lariat with 502A pkg for the same price or less I'd probably still be driving a Ford.  I will say that while the Z71 does have the 2 speed transfer and the skid plates that are very nice, the ride quality suffers to me with those crap rancho shocks.  My co-worker's '16 LTZ ride WAY softer and smoother.  I know some people like a stiffer "more responsive" suspension, but I personally prefer the plush ride that I don't feel every bump in the road.

30 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Most F150's come with an open diff, you need FX4 or Platinum trim levels to get a Limited slip, and even those can be ordered with open differentials so you have to be careful when buying one.

I am pretty sure none after 2015 came with Limited Slip Differentials. You're thinking of electronic locking differentials. And my plain XLT had it (3.55), didn't need to order Platinum or fancy crap. I don't know where your information is coming from.

20 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I am pretty sure none after 2015 came with Limited Slip Differentials. You're thinking of electronic locking differentials. And my plain XLT had it (3.55), didn't need to order Platinum or fancy crap. I don't know where your information is coming from.

It was the redesign time when I last looked into F150 specs, it was limited slip or open diff only at that time. I see they now use a electronic locking diff operated by a switch in the cab. Also says it can't be engaged in 2wd mode, or over 25mph vehicle speeds. So basically now, all 4x4 F150's are open diff trucks until you engage 4x4, even worse than the limited slip setup they used before 2015, now you have 0% chance of getting up that boat ramp in 2wd compared to 50% with a 2015 and older. :lol: 

1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

It was the redesign time when I last looked into F150 specs, it was limited slip or open diff only at that time. I see they now use a electronic locking diff operated by a switch in the cab. Also says it can't be engaged in 2wd mode, or over 25mph vehicle speeds. So basically now, all 4x4 F150's are open diff trucks until you engage 4x4, even worse than the limited slip setup they used before 2015, now you have 0% chance of getting up that boat ramp in 2wd compared to 50% with a 2015 and older. :lol: 

That makes sense. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:04 PM, Bleedblue11 said:

Hey guys,

I currently own a 2017 F150, 3.5 ECO, XLT, FX4. Overall I would say I am happy with the ford. Great passing power, great fuel mileage, painted frame, huge flat load rear floor and quiet ride. All of this aside, I have had a few issues, including the engine rattle after letting of the gas, and issues with the hubs grinding in cold weather. None of which ford has fixed. I am currently looking at a 2019 Silverado RST. Looking for input on a few things and wanted to see what other previous Ford owners have noticed after switching over. Is the ride as quiet? how is the Bose sound system, do you ever wish you had more power out of the 5.3? And how does the truck handle cold weather..... Im talking -45 Celsius without the wind chill. Also how does the 8 speed tow? And lastly, how are the new LED headlights..... the halogens on my F150 are complete garbage.

I know its a lot but if anyone could provide input it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

I went from a 2012 F-150 XLT to the 2019 LT and I have to say the power is pretty much the same if not better on the Chevy. Also the ride is smoother and quieter. And the seats are more comfortable. My LT is more equipped than the Ford also so that's a huge bonus. So far I love the Chevy better and i've always been a Chevy fan

• 4 weeks later...

My last 6 trucks wee either F150 or F250. I traded my 8month old F150 Lariat 5.0L for a 2019 AT4 6.2L.

All my previous Fords were great trucks, but the 2018 was a POS. My 5.0 was using a qt of oil every 3000 mi. The trans shifted like crap. Fords answer was to rip my 8 month old 50K+ truck apart and put in a new engine. Basically the same one that is using oil.

I took a hit and dumped it. So far (500 mi) I am very pleased with my swap. Time will tell. Trans shifts great, DFM is unnoticeable, 6.2 Perf Pkg is a beast, and MPG isn't that bad.

Edited by FDHog

Yeah the 3rd gen Coyote has been a disaster. I've heard of guys with 3rd gen Coyotes with way more than 1 qt/3000 miles. Most of the issues is due to the fact that Ford no longer uses a traditional iron sleeve bore. They're using a plasma transfer wire arc coating which isn't new for them, but the process is cheaper and different compared to the PTWA they used on the higher end V8's. The piston to bore clearances have been been all over the place according to a famous engine builder known for his Modular engines. Some of them piston slap so bad that you'd swear it's rod knock. The cam phasers seem to be a pretty common source of issues on the 3rd gens too. Crazy that cam phaser rattle is still an issue at this point.

I do know guys that lucked out with their 2018 5.0 F-150's. They burn some oil but they're okay with it. Definitely pulls strong. The 10-speeds seem a little troubled like GM's 8-speed has been in the past. It's weird because it seemed like the earlier Ford trucks with the 10-speed worked much better. I wonder if they've been cost-cutting a bit lately.

Edited by HondaHawkGT
  • Like 1

Recommend 6.2 if towing and you get the 10 sp trans. You can get a LTZ, 2wd, 6.2 add z-71 and LTZ plus package and come in around 55m on the sticker. Add for 4 wd and towing. Load it up like most do and it gets to 65-70m fast.

IF you trade often the DFM on the GMs should not be an issue for you, IF they have the bugs worked out. ( DFM is unproven just like when they introduced the AFM.)  They did not have the bugs worked out on the early AFMs 5.3 and the 07-11 models had early issues (like at 50,000).

Ford puts the 10 sp trans with the 5.0 and turbo.  GM only with the 6.2. The GM 8 sp has had issues, They SAY the new trans fluid has fixed it. Too early to tell.

Both,  if not all manufactures have some issues.

The 2020 GMC's will have the 10-speed behind the 5.3 on SLE's and up according to GM Authority. Just food for thought if you don't want the premium fuel requirement with the 6.2. There's no word if this is going to be the case with the 2020 Silverado 5.3 yet.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:33 PM, L86 All Terrain said:

Wrong..... They have a driver selectable electric locker in the rear end that you can use in 2wd or 4x4.... been that way for almost 10 years now.   Even my el cheapo XLT 2013 XLT extended cab had it and I used it in 2wd all the time.  It's a real locker... not like the gov bomb that in the end relies on friction discs to attempt to act like a locker.  The Ford set up uses a solenoid to lock the drvers side spider gear solid to the carrier..... voila..... now you have a spool.  

And an FYI...... your Gov Bomb can't engage over 25 mph either thanks to the fly weights on the engagement pawl so you aren't doing any high speed locked rear adventures.  

The Ford is a 12 volt operated coil..... want it locked at any speed..... put your power source to it.. not real hard.

Edited by SierraHD17

3 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

Wrong..... They have a driver selectable electric locker in the rear end that you can use in 2wd or 4x4.... been that way for almost 10 years now.   Even my el cheapo XLT 2013 XLT extended cab had it and I used it in 2wd all the time.  It's a real locker... not like the gov bomb that in the end relies on friction discs to attempt to act like a locker.  The Ford set up uses a solenoid to lock the drvers side spider gear solid to the carrier..... voila..... now you have a spool.  

And an FYI...... your Gov Bomb can't engage over 25 mph either thanks to the fly weights on the engagement pawl so you aren't doing any high speed locked rear adventures.  

The Ford is a 12 volt operated coil..... want it locked at any speed..... put your power source to it.. not real hard.

People still call it the gov bomb? Maybe back when the half-tons only came with the 10-bolt it would be fair to call them that. I beat on my 2014's G80 quite a bit and it still locks and unlocks perfectly. The increased carrier beef with the new 12-bolt axles made a big difference it seems. You are correct that Ford has offered the e-locker in some F-150's for quite a while now. The G80 is absolutely a locker even if it does contain clutches. Both wheels get 100% torque when its locked. It behaves as a limited slip when open and is truly locked when it's locked. The selectability of the E-locker is nice and I wish GM would offer it as an option. The G80 works fine too. Neither is perfect but they both work well for a factory locker.

The reason both the M-Locker and E-Locker unlock at around 20-25 MPH is because they can be dangerous at high speeds for the average driver. If it stayed locked and someone tried to go around a corner in snowy conditions, they would lose control and crash. Just a lot of liability for an auto manufacturer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HondaHawkGT said:

People still call it the gov bomb? Maybe back when the half-tons only came with the 10-bolt it would be fair to call them that. I beat on my 2014's G80 quite a bit and it still locks and unlocks perfectly. The increased carrier beef with the new 12-bolt axles made a big difference it seems. You are correct that Ford has offered the e-locker in some F-150's for quite a while now. The G80 is absolutely a locker even if it does contain clutches. Both wheels get 100% torque when its locked. It behaves as a limited slip when open and is truly locked when it's locked. The selectability of the E-locker is nice and I wish GM would offer it as an option. The G80 works fine too. Neither is perfect but they both work well for a factory locker.

The reason both the M-Locker and E-Locker unlock at around 20-25 MPH is because they can be dangerous at high speeds for the average driver. If it stayed locked and someone tried to go around a corner in snowy conditions, they would lose control and crash. Just a lot of liability for an auto manufacturer.

Not really as the G80 is still the exact same "marvel of design"  that it was when it came out in GM trucks in 1973... Its principle of operation is retarded being it shock loads to engage. Shock loading is the most ridiculous way to deal with something under power but GM just keeps on with it.  As long as it lives that big bad 60000 mile warranty not to mention if you did damage it Gm would just call it abuse and void it anyway.  Eaton designed them for low power applications with slow speed engagement... it's just GM thinks its smart putting over 400 hp engines in front of them.

Spools can be dangerous but an actual locker that works correctly is not.   I have a Detroit locker in every single truck I own (5 trucks 5 Detroits)... including my 2017.  My 2013 6.2 half ton will have one soon enough... I can't stand the operation or lack thereof of the Gov bomb. I actually dug the 9.5" carrier and bearing set I had in storage out today and will probably swap it in the next couple weeks.  Carrier swap is an easy job.   Fun fact.. GM used to actually offer the Detroit locker as a factory installed option in the 10.5" 14 bolt.. but times have changed. 

And no the Gov lock is a completely open differential unless the side gear gets locked to the cam plate.  But even then as I said it relies on clutch discs to lock.. not a mechanical engagement of any kind.  The Ford mechanically locks the side gear to the carrier with a lock plate.

The "limited slip" action you get nowdays is from the traction control playing with the rear brakes via the ABS.

Edited by SierraHD17