Z71 vs Max towing package

I drove a 19 z71 on 18s and my 19 NHT on 20s. The z71 was slightly better riding, and I feel like it was more than just the tire size difference. My NHT, at times, can exhibit some characteristics reminiscent of the 3/4 ton trucks I used to own. It’s kinda stiff.

I've never seen the topic discussed.  Max tow has extra payload capacity so usually that means extra stiffness.  Max Tow with the right amount of weight in the bed...butter.  Honestly the difference would be marginal.  I have a 15 crew std bed on 20s and 33 ATs.  I think it rides fine.  Stiff, but it's a truck and I needed the extra payload and towing.  I will say this truck has been an absolute beast and still going strong at 170k miles.  Still smooth!

• Thanks 1

After reviewing the specs and options and reading reviews from this great forum I am leaning towards the RST so I can get Bose and fog lights and bucket seats. I was leaning towards Max Tow so I could get the 3.42 gears. However, I do not Tow but about 1,000 per year and my trailer is <6,000 lbs. I am now leaning towards Z71 so I can get 4 low and dual exhaust.

I believe the crew cab, standard bed, 4x4, with 5.3 can tow 9,600. It should Tow my trailer just fine with 3.23 gears???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snuff said:

I believe the crew cab, standard bed, 4x4, with 5.3 can tow 9,600. It should Tow my trailer just fine with 3.23 gears???

It will tow your trailer just fine with the standard gearset.  

Chevy: Available Max Trailering Package features a 9.76-inch rear axle, 3.42 axle ratio, enhanced- cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier-duty rear leaf springs, a 220-amp alternator and trailer brake controller

what does shock tuning mean exactly? It sounds like it would improve the ride. I also have heard that the rancho shocks w Z71 are not the best.  I have a RST with Max trailing package and it drives great like a beast. I was just wondering if the Z71 rides smoother. Maybe I made the right decision, maybe not. Just trying to educate others about these nuances.  I also like self torturing myself when I messed up on my options, etc?

Also does the dual exhaust really add value?

Edited by Street Queen
Spell

Here is the comparison write ups:

Z71 Off-Road Equipment Package is available on all models. Content includes: Rancho monotube shocks, Electronic Hill Descent Control, two-speed transfer case, locking rear differential, front skid plates and heavy-duty air cleaner

• Available Max Trailering Package features a 9.76-inch rear axle, 3.42 axle ratio, enhanced- cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier-duty rear leaf springs, a 220-amp alternator and trailer brake controller

Odd that with a "tow package" one gets 3.42 gearing. With the Toyota Tundra the tow package provides 4.30 gears. Towing with a gas engine or going off road I would want 4.10 or lower gearing to keep the engine inside its peak power band. Of course General Motors only worries about their CAFE numbers.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wintersun said:

Odd that with a "tow package" one gets 3.42 gearing. With the Toyota Tundra the tow package provides 4.30 gears. Towing with a gas engine or going off road I would want 4.10 or lower gearing to keep the engine inside its peak power band. Of course General Motors only worries about their CAFE numbers.

Not true. The Tundra’s 6 speed trans is geared very tall so it needs that kind of rear.

When you look at the actual spread, the Toyota with 4.30s is actually very close to the GM 8 speed, 3.23.

8L90 has a 4.56 first gear, Toyota is 3.33, and on from there. Can’t just look at axle ratio.

• Like 5