Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club


Recommended Posts

On 4/10/2019 at 3:51 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

It's worth noting that Car and Driver magazine tested a 2.7L 4-banger Silverado and got worse gas mileage then their 5.3L, and pointed asked what's the point of a $45K+ truck that can't tow or haul as much as a V8, but gets worse fuel economy?   

Car and Driver's result seems to be the outlier. 

 

TFL isn't the only reviewer that's gotten better than EPA results with a 2.7 Turbo Silverado so far.

Edited by HondaHawkGT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2019 at 12:13 PM, OnTheReel said:

The DIC on these are actually really quite accurate. Mine has been within a few percent every time I hand-calculated. Sometimes over, sometimes under.

I just filled mine up for the second time yesterday and ran the numbers by hand and they were 1.3% apart. Between the fact that the hand calc isn’t perfect either because of not filling the tank to the exact same level every time (1.3% of the 24 gallon tank is a bit over a quart) and the fact that the DIC only shows one decimal place (.05 MPG rounding error on 16.0 MPG is by itself 0.3%), that seems as accurate as you could expect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The TFL truck guys fill it till it clicks, then wait 30 seconds for it to settle, then fill it till it clicks a second time when they do their hand calcs. That second squirt usually adds about 0.3 gallons or so.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

I took delivery this morning. So far I couldn’t be happier with it! Plenty of power and the turbo is hilariously loud from the outside... it’s like driving a small semi. 

Awesome, I’d like to see some drive by footage of that...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would not buy a full size truck that did not have a V8..  I don't care how many HP's they can squeeze out of it on a DYNO, there is no replacement for displacement... If I am driving a full size truck and worried about getting 22 vs 24 mpg HWY I can't afford the truck to begin with... I think that the 2.7 Turbo is all about meeting CAFE standards... The 4.3 V6 may make less ponies than the 2.7 but, at least it's only missing 2 cylinders... 

 

I just bought a 2.0T Equinox for my wife and yeah it's quick but, it's no V6 when it comes to smoothness... I just don't like the small 4cyl turbos I like bigger motors with less technology... Sure we're squeezing a mpg or two here and there but, look at what these vehicles cost because of our odd obsession with fuel mileage..

Edited by Imcrazy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

I would not buy a full size truck that did not have a V8..  I don't care how many HP's they can squeeze out of it on a DYNO, there is no replacement for displacement... If I am driving a full size truck and worried about getting 22 vs 24 mpg HWY I can't afford the truck to begin with... I think that the 2.7 Turbo is all about meeting CAFE standards... The 4.3 V6 may make less ponies than the 2.7 but, at least it's only missing 2 cylinders... 

 

I just bought a 2.0T Equinox for my wife and yeah it's quick but, it's no V6 when it comes to smoothness... I just don't like the small 4cyl turbos I like bigger motors with less technology... Sure we're squeezing a mpg or two here and there but, look at what these vehicles cost because of our odd obsession with fuel mileage..

The 4.3 also doesn’t have the flat torque curve of the 2.7... it’s all about drivability. The thing just loafs about and feels like it is hardly working. Technology is and will continue to be a superior supplement for displacement 

 

Its certainly a lot lighter on its feet than a V6 or V8. I hate how a V6 or V8 sounds and drives, so it’s good to see GM doing someone for those of us who want the tech while offering boat anchors for the rest ?

Edited by MDSilveradoGuy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

The 4.3 also doesn’t have the flat torque curve of the 2.7... it’s all about drivability. The thing just loafs about and feels like it is hardly working. Technology is and will continue to be a superior supplement for displacement 

 

Its certainly a lot lighter on its feet than a V6 or V8. I hate how a V6 or V8 sounds and drives, so it’s good to see GM doing someone for those of us who want the tech while offering boat anchors for the rest ?

I don't know how anybody can hate the sound of a V8...that's just crazy talk man!   Ha!

 

I think the 2.7 would be fun to have if I just wanted this truck as a second vehicle to do stuff around the house and occasionally tow stuff and still get great fuel mileage.  It has it's place, but I prefer the feel and sound of a (relatively speaking) big V8 doing it's thing. 

Plus, if there is one thing Chevy knows how to do, it's build a pushrod V8. 

4Banger world is Honda territory- they got that down! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Limelight said:

I don't know how anybody can hate the sound of a V8...that's just crazy talk man!   Ha!

 

I think the 2.7 would be fun to have if I just wanted this truck as a second vehicle to do stuff around the house and occasionally tow stuff and still get great fuel mileage.  It has it's place, but I prefer the feel and sound of a (relatively speaking) big V8 doing it's thing. 

Plus, if there is one thing Chevy knows how to do, it's build a pushrod V8. 

4Banger world is Honda territory- they got that down! 

There is nothing this side of a flat 6 that can compete with a big bore 4 cylinder grumbling as it’s putting its power down to me. I just hate the exhaust note of a V8 most of all. Intake honk is where it’s at for me. 

 

Honda... yea, they need to just go away ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know how anybody can hate the sound of a V8...that's just crazy talk man!   Ha!
 
I think the 2.7 would be fun to have if I just wanted this truck as a second vehicle to do stuff around the house and occasionally tow stuff and still get great fuel mileage.  It has it's place, but I prefer the feel and sound of a (relatively speaking) big V8 doing it's thing. 
Plus, if there is one thing Chevy knows how to do, it's build a pushrod V8. 
4Banger world is Honda territory- they got that down! 

If you haven’t noticed the GM V-8 doesn’t sound like a V-8 anymore. I would rather have a blown small motor than a V-8 becoming a 4 cylinder. Even the almighty Honda motor co is having some problems with cylinder deactivation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

There is nothing this side of a flat 6 that can compete with a big bore 4 cylinder grumbling as it’s putting its power down to me. I just hate the exhaust note of a V8 most of all. Intake honk is where it’s at for me. 

 

Honda... yea, they need to just go away ?

So I guess you just hate the sound of this.  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cammed+v8+chevys&&view=detail&mid=F80BC2B1F6080381B296F80BC2B1F6080381B296&&FORM=VRDGAR

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, KARNUT said:


If you haven’t noticed the GM V-8 doesn’t sound like a V-8 anymore. I would rather have a blown small motor than a V-8 becoming a 4 cylinder. Even the almighty Honda motor co is having some problems with cylinder deactivation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh...It still sounds like a v8.  Only when it starts dropping cylinders does it suffer.  Keeping it in 7th gear on the selector fixes that- at least until the Range Tech DFM deactivation plug in is available.

Personally I really like the sound of any inline engine.  V6's- not so much.  V8's will always be my favorite though and YES, this still sounds like a V8.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

There is nothing this side of a flat 6 that can compete with a big bore 4 cylinder grumbling as it’s putting its power down to me. I just hate the exhaust note of a V8 most of all. Intake honk is where it’s at for me. 

 

Honda... yea, they need to just go away ?

Well whether you like it or not, Honda makes some of the best 4 cyl engines in the world, while Chevy is known for the smallblock v8.

 

They each grew up in different neighborhoods.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • txab pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.