Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club


Recommended Posts

Hello, started an account here because I read through this thread and found it very informative. 
 

Here is my question if anyone wishes to reply or suggest anything. I plow my driveway (just mine) with a 2010 Silverado 4.8 with 120,000 miles. It does a great job, even where I live in Maine where we can really get buried some winters. I kept the 2010 for a plow truck and recently purchased a 2022 2.7 Custom which I absolutely love so far with the 600 miles I’ve put on it.

 

After driving it for a bit now I don’t see why the 2.7 wouldn’t be a good option to use as a plow truck for just a single drive way. Everything I’ve found stated that the 2.7 has more HP and more torque even at lower rpm than the 4.8. Does anyone know why this wouldn’t be a good idea to plow snow with?
 

I’ve scoured the internet and only found one forum where someone put a plow on his but after the initial post and conversation, it hasn’t been updated. Some plow sites say that they don’t have options for turbo engines (eco boost or 2.7 Chevy), but some do. For reference I have a BOSS HTX straight blade that’s about two years old, basically brand new. 
 

The only thing that some people mentioned is that the plow may block some air flow that may effect the turbo and cause it to go into limp mode.

 

I’m no expert so any knowledgeable comments to this would be greatly appreciated if there are any other snow plowers lurking on here.
 

Also, I’m averaging 23.5 MPG since I set the trip after leaving the dealership. I’ve seen that that is a common topic on this thread.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Low Elevation said:

I would love to see someone come out with a tune for these engines. You would probably see an extra 50-70 hp and tq at least. 

I also would like to see a tune. My interest is more in fuel efficiency though. I think major improvements could be had with only minor reductions in driveability. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ECE said:

Hello, started an account here because I read through this thread and found it very informative. 
 

Here is my question if anyone wishes to reply or suggest anything. I plow my driveway (just mine) with a 2010 Silverado 4.8 with 120,000 miles. It does a great job, even where I live in Maine where we can really get buried some winters. I kept the 2010 for a plow truck and recently purchased a 2022 2.7 Custom which I absolutely love so far with the 600 miles I’ve put on it.

 

After driving it for a bit now I don’t see why the 2.7 wouldn’t be a good option to use as a plow truck for just a single drive way. Everything I’ve found stated that the 2.7 has more HP and more torque even at lower rpm than the 4.8. Does anyone know why this wouldn’t be a good idea to plow snow with?
 

I’ve scoured the internet and only found one forum where someone put a plow on his but after the initial post and conversation, it hasn’t been updated. Some plow sites say that they don’t have options for turbo engines (eco boost or 2.7 Chevy), but some do. For reference I have a BOSS HTX straight blade that’s about two years old, basically brand new. 
 

The only thing that some people mentioned is that the plow may block some air flow that may effect the turbo and cause it to go into limp mode.

 

I’m no expert so any knowledgeable comments to this would be greatly appreciated if there are any other snow plowers lurking on here.
 

Also, I’m averaging 23.5 MPG since I set the trip after leaving the dealership. I’ve seen that that is a common topic on this thread.  

The air intake is located upper left hand side ( drivers side under hood facing up).  Turbo air flow restriction NOT A PLAYER. I have pictures on this site of my trail boss buried in snow up to 

lower head lights and doing just fine. 

 

I don't plow but live in high snow area at 9000' msl in Southern CO. The front suspension is plenty 

tough to handle a once a week snow plowing.

 

You will need counter weight in bed as like majority of GM trucks its sprung too light in back over locking differential for my 2022 LTD

Trail Boss. I ended up needing about 720 lbs of sand tubes @ 60 lbs a piece.  

 

For a Custom it MAY not be stiff enough in front unless you have Z71 package or better shocks etc. 

 

Off topic All the sudden this site is wrapping wide on display is that happening to others or my browser? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, customboss said:

The air intake is located upper left hand side ( drivers side under hood facing up).  Turbo air flow restriction NOT A PLAYER. I have pictures on this site of my trail boss buried in snow up to 

lower head lights and doing just fine. 

 

I don't plow but live in high snow area at 9000' msl in Southern CO. The front suspension is plenty 

tough to handle a once a week snow plowing.

 

You will need counter weight in bed as like majority of GM trucks its sprung too light in back over locking differential for my 2022 LTD

Trail Boss. I ended up needing about 720 lbs of sand tubes @ 60 lbs a piece.  

 

For a Custom it MAY not be stiff enough in front unless you have Z71 package or better shocks etc. 

 

Off topic All the sudden this site is wrapping wide on display is that happening to others or my browser? 

 

Yep, been doing that to me for a few days now.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CoolHandWayne said:

I also would like to see a tune. My interest is more in fuel efficiency though. I think major improvements could be had with only minor reductions in driveability. 

Good news on this. It looks like trifecta tuning is working on a tune for this engine. Check this link out.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/06/here-are-the-gm-vehicle-tuning-projects-trifecta-is-working-on/

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I got my truck the dealership filled it up and then let it idle for 30-40 minutes while I did paperwork and then they did the walkthrough to show me the truck and to let the Onstar rep try to sell me a bunch of stuff via the truck's internet connection.  That was neat I guess and probably a real moneymaker for GM but a waste of fuel.  Initially the truck reported 10.6 mpg because of that.  At 350 miles on the odometer it's up to 15.6 mpg.

 

Just did the first fill-up. I had a $1/gallon discount so it cost ONLY $93 to put in 21 gallons of 87.  

 

My driving is at sea level, and is a 50/50 mix of city and highway.  But the highway can be pretty much a parking lot at times.  I think I will be lucky if I get even close to the numbers some of you mention.  I will be happy if I am north of 18mpg per tank.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Low Elevation said:

Good news on this. It looks like trifecta tuning is working on a tune for this engine. Check this link out.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/06/here-are-the-gm-vehicle-tuning-projects-trifecta-is-working-on/

 

God I hope this is good. I think there’s reliable power to be had here. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

God I hope this is good. I think there’s reliable power to be had here. 

The great thing is this will be a native tune and not a piggyback like other ones. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

I’m afraid to see the cost 

I'm afraid to see how they get through the encryption. I will believe a real tune when I see someone else use it!  LOL  Being able to actually change parameters in ECU

and not just tricking nearly external components like E throttle has me believing it when I see GM approve it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, customboss said:

I'm afraid to see how they get through the encryption. I will believe a real tune when I see someone else use it!  LOL  Being able to actually change parameters in ECU

and not just tricking nearly external components like E throttle has me believing it when I see GM approve it. 

Aren’t there tunes for the 3.0 duramax?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, customboss said:

I'm afraid to see how they get through the encryption. I will believe a real tune when I see someone else use it!  LOL  Being able to actually change parameters in ECU

and not just tricking nearly external components like E throttle has me believing it when I see GM approve it. 

Well they were the first to crack the new corvette ecu. So I would say this is the real deal. 
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/05/trifecta-becomes-first-company-to-natively-tune-c8-corvette-ecu/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.