2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

17 hours ago, Amcguy1970 said:

On my 2014 doing back-to-back tests at the same cruise control mph was about 1.3mpg difference if I remember correctly, definitely north of 1mpg which is what designers and engineers have all stated at highway speeds. 

Tyler

I’d be happy adding 1.3 mpg to my city, hwy, and combined numbers.  

I think I recall someone talking about running their truck in sport mode, my truck only has normal and off road though. Anyone here have sport mode? Or perhaps that is only for 2wd trucks?

16 minutes ago, 622Trailboss said:

I’d be happy adding 1.3 mpg to my city, hwy, and combined numbers.  

I think I recall someone talking about running their truck in sport mode, my truck only has normal and off road though. Anyone here have sport mode? Or perhaps that is only for 2wd trucks?

It would be pretty much limited to the highway numbers. The valence or air dam works better at higher speeds. 

Tyler

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 3:24 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

I have no idea what set that off or what you THINK you know about what I believe or how that played into the word smithing above. But you might be surprised to know I didn't fall off the turnip truck last night and have made many of the same observations you have and to many of the same conclusions. I know how this works. :rolleyes: 

excellent, don't bring up that electric nonsense anymore lol, we aren't going that way until free energy and best hope a far better battery technology coming as well because the mining for the current tech is not the answer when oil is everywhere and far easier to get at, and then you must know we win this thing and this electric push is temporary, back to the turbo gassers😉

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, silveradosid said:

i have sport mode on my 2020 2.7, i havent used it much because all it does is  raise the shift rpm's and change how the truck steers. i didnt notice any change in steering

Stiffens the steering.  I can feel the change.  Also sharpens up the shift feel a bit as well and will hold gears a bit longer instead of trying to get to 7th or 8th as fast as possible like in normal mode.  

• Like 1

Update on oil usage and dipstickology....

Checked the oil at same place in garage about same temp as normal 20-30F.  Miraculously my oil was full. After 100 miles ago seeing about 1/8 drop on stick.  Like the 6.6L woes some are seeing our beloved L3B may be hiding oil in coolers and heat exchangers?  @newdude can you research this with access the rest of us won't have?

Before I shut it down for a day I was in the turbo doing donuts outside in 2-3 " of snow and ice.  Possible that when I do my paw paw driving it hides oil in a cooler that is closed off because its not hot enough to open thermally controlled valve?

Checked the dipstick 5 X and 4X it was full.  1 time it was lower than 1/8 so it may have not filled the dipstick slide? 

I'm failing dipstickology!!! 

• Haha 1

Just wanted to follow up on the JB4 Burger tuner. It was pretty decent just felt a little too unpolished. It made the truck move but the shifting couldn’t keep up and it just felt detached from the rest of the powertrain. 

Burger tuning has great customer service and offers a “30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee”. I should have read the fine print, you’re hit with a 20% restocking fee. I don’t recommend the tuner. I’m trying a Pulsar LT next for throttle adjustment, Start/Stop disable and I’ll get bigger tires soon so speedo calibration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t owned my truck a full month yet, I’m curious how low can you go on the miles to empty gauge?  Is it fairly accurate? How low can you go or have you gone? 

For example, in my other car once I get to about 45 miles I better be finding a gas station soon as that about the point in which the job fuel light illuminates.

20 hours ago, 622Trailboss said:

I haven’t owned my truck a full month yet, I’m curious how low can you go on the miles to empty gauge?  Is it fairly accurate? How low can you go or have you gone? 

For example, in my other car once I get to about 45 miles I better be finding a gas station soon as that about the point in which the job fuel light illuminates.

Best not to test it and run out of fuel. I typically fuel up my truck when it hits a quarter of a tank, regardless of what the DTE says.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 622Trailboss said:

Once the low fuel light comes on and miles to empty = 0 I have about 3 gallons remaining but not sure if all that is useable. 

I installed the Pulsar LT today. I haven’t seen anyone else with it on the 2.7L. This thing is sweet. So easy to install and “program”. Disabling Auto-Shutoff works like a charm and just increasing the throttle 15% is great!  There’s no more “lag” when hitting the pedal. Drivability is much improved. I recommend it. 

When I get (slightly) larger tires my speedo won’t be off either. 

Edited by Mike Borowski
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mike Borowski said:

I installed the Pulsar LT today. I haven’t seen anyone else with it on the 2.7L. This thing is sweet. So easy to install and “program”. Disabling Auto/Shutoff works like a charm and just increasing the throttle 15% is great!  There’s no more “lag” when hitting the gas. Drivability is much improved. I recommend it. 

When I get (slightly) larger tires my speedo won’t be off either. 

Thanks for sharing, keep us posted 

On 2/1/2023 at 5:26 PM, Mike Borowski said:

Anyone running 33’s with the 2.7?  Big performance decrease and or MPG decrease?

I am, see my signature below, that's what it came with (factory 20's) then I sold the 20's and went a direction most guys don't go...I went to same height but skinnier lighter tires and wheels, pizza cutters. I lost 4 lbs per corner making this move to 33x10's. I went to load range e tires as I never get flats, I gained 1.5" sidewall, and I have snow flake rated all terrains...and did all that while losing 4 lbs per corner! I noticed zero loss in performance and man do I ever have excellent traction in the slippery stuff as compared to my gladiator on 37x12.50's, night and day difference, the jeep is a drifting skating rink of a machine lol. 

To add to this, I have a 4" lift, removed the chin spoiler, added the heavy high clearance side steps, chains, tools, recovery gear and 400 lb fuel tank, total added weight is 985 lbs...and I can still achieve rated hwy mpg if I behave at about 65 mph on cruise. Love the pizza cutters! 

Edited by 4banger