5.3 Liter Engine Replacement

Thanks everyone for the comments and info. 

I got the truck back on Friday and have about 100 kms on it so far. Everything seems to be working fine (fingers crossed). Existing warranty is unchanged on power train. 

Does anyone know if the engine hours can be reset?

I am also considering a tuner. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattHutch said:

Does anyone know if the engine hours can be reset?

I am also considering a tuner. Any suggestions?

If you do the Denali cluster upgrade you engine hours reset to 0. So this might be a good question for white media they do the programming to make the swap work. He goes by GTPprix on this site and usually posts at least weekly in the Denali cluster in SLT thread.

I did a Blackbear tune on my 015. I did a lot of research and found for me this was a nice compromise between a canned tuner and a full blown dyno tune. IMO it’s really about what you want out of a engine/transmission tune(s) that dictates which option is best for you. I couldn’t stand the way the tranny shifted and seemed to hunt for gears all the time, AFM delete, speedo correction for new tire size, and wanted a 91 octane tune for the engine. I wasn’t after maximum performance and didn’t want to mess with something like HP or EFI live (way over my head) and didn’t necessarily want to settle for a hand held off the shelf unit. There are cheaper options and better options out there but for me this way the right decision and customer service has been great along the way including their own thread in this forum.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 5:05 PM, Kylebr1 said:

I have heard of this issue multiple times with trucks around the kilometers you are stating . Because of the DOD displacement on demand it puts a lot of stress on the lifters and push rods .

I have 95,000km on my 5.3 L83 in my 2016 sierra and i have had my DOD turned off since 15,000 km and have noticed zero issues in this time as well as better throttle response and power i would highly recommend doing so . I had it done with Hp Tuners for a reasonable price .  

Forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question, but how would tuning out the AFM prevent any potential problems? The engine is still running off of the same lifters and pushrods.

Edited by NWI Denali

28 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

Forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question, but how would tuning out the AFM prevent any potential problems? The engine is still running off of the same lifters and pushrods.

Its not collapsing those lifters everytime the engine goes into v4 mode. It is keeping the AFM lifters pumped up at all times. The most common reason for the lifter failure is during the switch to v4 mode. The pin that slides gets caught half way and gets stuck.

Here is a video start at 1:15

Edited by Gagliano7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gagliano7 said:

Its not collapsing those lifters everytime the engine goes into v4 mode. It is keeping the AFM lifters pumped up at all times. The most common reason for the lifter failure is during the switch to v4 mode. The pin that slides gets caught half way and gets stuck.

Here is a video start at 1:15

Good info thanks