Whats the main problems With 07-13 silverado 1500s

I am in the market for a new truck and i am really wanting a 07-13 chevy 1500 with a 5.3 4wd crew cab and i am wanting to know some common problems with them so i can fix them right off the bat and not have them become a problem

The biggest problem is probably oil consumption. Fixes are an updated driver side valve cover and a oil pressure relief shield in the oil pan.  You can also do an oil catch can.  Second issue is DOD lifter failure. People claim that both of these issues are improved by disabling active fuel management but I think they will fail eventually and youd be better off with a non-DOD cam.  Third issue is leaking oil and transmission cooler lines. The oil cooler lines leak above the filter head and can be fixed with a quick gasket change. The trans cooler lines leak at a crimp connection in front of the engine and can be fixed by cutting and flaring the line and just putting in a new piece of trans cooler hose.

Edit: I forgot about oil pressure issues, but lots of people have low pressure caused by junk on the screen below the sending unit. If it isn't that, it is likely the oil pickup o-ring.

Edited by vettelovralexand
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Snakehearts said:

I am in the market for a new truck and i am really wanting a 07-13 chevy 1500 with a 5.3 4wd crew cab and i am wanting to know some common problems with them so i can fix them right off the bat and not have them become a problem

You're looking at a truck that is at the very least 6 years old.  Chances are good that any major problems already surfaced and were repaired.  .Have a potential purchase checked out by a competent, professional mechanic and if all is good, no need to "fix them right off the bat".  My '09 was an oil guzzler for the first 50K.  After major warranty repair, the next 100k were flawless.

I believe if you buy a 2012 or 13 the valve cover and oil pan shield are done.

My 2012, bought used with 41 K miles has been good.

I have A Range to disable the AFM.

Uses a little oil.

67 K miles now.

:)

Edited by diyer2

Just don't buy a truck with a 5.3 and all will be well... that solves pretty well all the powertrain related problems.  The front ends are kinda crap in these not being greaseable but that's like anything else.  The brakes are meh.. better quality replacement parts fix that.  Leaky cooler lines... some have electrical gremlins based on the under hood fuse center.  

Otherwise wear and tear from however old it is and mileage.

Check wheel wheels and frame for rust. Some light surface rust is OK on frame. 2007.5 - 2019 uses ultra thin high strength steel that will dent easily and won't put up with much rust. If truck was not in the rust belt its probably OK.

Highly recommend finding a 2007.5 - 2013 6.2L. Only in Denali 2007.5 - 2008, avail in Chev and GMC after that. 6.2L does not have AFM and is V8 100% of the time with no plastic AFM lifters.

Low quality interior components such as decals wearing off cabin temp control buttons.

Dash cracks

AFM issues (oil usage, valve train ticking noise, low oil pressure)

Overall still good trucks, nothing is perfect, every brand has its plus and minus.

The lifters are not made of plastic in the afm trucks lol.... just the lifter guides are a composite material and that's common to all LS based engines ever made.  The lifter is just a shitty design that relies on a solenoid to control oil pressure and either keep it pumped up or collapsed.  The problems that system has is endless and still is today lol.  Except new for 2019 with new DFM means all 16 lifters are that shitty design and not just 8 like in these trucks.  

Either a 4.8 or a 6.2 are a safe V8 in the half ton pickups.  Both the 5.3 and the 07 to 09 Vortec Max 6 liter are afm.  The 6.2 can have it's own issues with piston slap or wrist pin noise but a used truck will show that on its first cold start. Really they all can have issues but the afm is just a system that is not an if it fails... just a matter of when. 

Edited by SierraHD17

17 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

Just don't buy a truck with a 5.3 and all will be well... that solves pretty well all the powertrain related problems.  The front ends are kinda crap in these not being greaseable but that's like anything else.  The brakes are meh.. better quality replacement parts fix that.  Leaky cooler lines... some have electrical gremlins based on the under hood fuse center.  

Otherwise wear and tear from however old it is and mileage.

I have found one i am wanting but it has around 116,000 miles on it any thing i should check out since its decently high mileage? its a 2009 ltz crewcab and the frame looks like brand new there wanting around $19000 for it

I have found one i am wanting but it has around 116,000 miles on it any thing i should check out since its decently high mileage? its a 2009 ltz crewcab and the frame looks like brand new there wanting around $19000 for it
Steer clear of it youll be dissatisfied

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 4/7/2019 at 6:38 AM, vettelovralexand said:

The biggest problem is probably oil consumption. Fixes are an updated driver side valve cover and a oil pressure relief shield in the oil pan.  You can also do an oil catch can.  Second issue is DOD lifter failure. People claim that both of these issues are improved by disabling active fuel management but I think they will fail eventually and youd be better off with a non-DOD cam.  Third issue is leaking oil and transmission cooler lines. The oil cooler lines leak above the filter head and can be fixed with a quick gasket change. The trans cooler lines leak at a crimp connection in front of the engine and can be fixed by cutting and flaring the line and just putting in a new piece of trans cooler hose.

Edit: I forgot about oil pressure issues, but lots of people have low pressure caused by junk on the screen below the sending unit. If it isn't that, it is likely the oil pickup o-ring.

THIS.  Nailed most of the bad stuff, right here.  Like my GM dealer Service Mgr says, there are 2 kinds of vehicles, those that already have AFM (aka DOD) problems, or those that will have AFM problems.