Z71 came with all season tires, specs say AT?

Nothing new here.  GM and Ford both have been putting Goodyear Fortitude HT tires on half-ton Z71's and FX4's and calling them 'all-terrain' tires, for many years now.  Before that, GM used Goodyear Wranger SR-A's.  This is due to consumer complaints about noise/vibration/harshness and the manufacturers trying to meet the EPA's draconian fleet fuel economy standards.  They know that most people never even drive their "off-road" vehicles on a dirt road, and those that do will probably switch out to 33-37 inch mud terrain tires asap, anyway.   

They key is to notice what wheels and tires are on a vehicle before you purchase it.  If you don't like them, negotiate what you want into the purchase.  Otherwise, a change to your tire of choice is on your dime--an online forum can't change that for you.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

Lots of tires being spouted, not too many specifics.

Lets clarify.

GM picks "AT tires" for some wheel/tire packages for good ol' EPA/CAFE fuel mileage, customer noise/ride concerns, etc.  Don't like what's on the truck?  Negotiate, pay out of pocket, etc.  As others have stated.

Z71/X31.  Does include "All Terrain Tires".  This tire choice WILL VARY based on wheel size/configuration. 

If you have the 18" wheels, you will get the Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT, P265/65R18.  May be black sidewall or outline white letters. 

If you have 20" wheels, you may have either the Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT, OR a Bridgestone Dueler AT RHS, both in a P275/60R20.

Z71 Trail Boss/AT4.  All Trail Boss with 18" wheels get LT275/65R18 C load Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.  If its got 20" wheels, you get Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT in P275/60R20. 

Also, for those interested, I've added tires to the T1 Quick Reference Sticky:

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2019 at 5:54 PM, newdude said:

Lots of tires being spouted, not too many specifics.

Lets clarify.

GM picks "AT tires" for some wheel/tire packages for good ol' EPA/CAFE fuel mileage, customer noise/ride concerns, etc.  Don't like what's on the truck?  Negotiate, pay out of pocket, etc.  As others have stated.

Z71/X31.  Does include "All Terrain Tires".  This tire choice WILL VARY based on wheel size/configuration. 

If you have the 18" wheels, you will get the Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT, P265/65R18.  May be black sidewall or outline white letters. 

If you have 20" wheels, you may have either the Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT, OR a Bridgestone Dueler AT RHS, both in a P275/60R20.

Z71 Trail Boss/AT4.  All Trail Boss with 18" wheels get LT275/65R18 C load Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.  If its got 20" wheels, you get Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT in P275/60R20. 

Also, for those interested, I've added tires to the T1 Quick Reference Sticky:

I got my trailboss with 20's and it had the bridgestones (which I absolutely love)

On 2019-04-08 at 11:20 AM, Controller23 said:

That’s a steal for those Coopers. How is the noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Cooper AT3's on my Jeep GC. They are _loud_. Like really bad, around 65 km/h they hit a certain frequency where the drone just gets in my ears (like a dump truck going buy) and sits there and magnifies until I speed up or slow down. They have decent traction off road, are really bad in the slimy snow even though they're winter rated. When the temperature gets to just above freezing, and then below (Canadian cold!) they hit bumps hard, like the rubber has turned into hard plastic. The first 20K was ok, no real noise, but as they wear the sound just gets worse and worse. I'm counting the days until I either trade my Jeep for a 1500 or replace the tires.

I give them 2 out of 5; 2 points for the offroad traction and the looks, everything else about them sucks in every way.

Just my opinion.

newdude covers this spot on. Depends not just on Z71 trim, but wheel size, etc. 

My RST Z71 with 20"s came with the Wrangler A/T. Most of the RSTs with 20"s I've seen on lots, however, have the Dueller. Who knows how GM decides which one gets which. 

I'm already looking forward to replacing them with Michelin LTX M/S2's, to be honest. Can't beat that tire, and probably has just as good of "off road" performance as the Wrangler ATs does. At least for the amount of "off-roading" I do... which is next to none. Lol 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect a older Post , but looks like I may be dealing with the same thing as the OP. @Controller23 did you ever go back to the dealer and ask? 

Picking up a 2020 Silverado 1500 LT tomorrow morning.  The Package includes - XCK-265/65R-18, All Terrain, Blackwell -$250 

I took pictures of it when we finalized they deal and it has Good Year Wrangler Fortitude HT 265 / 65R18 on it. 

I will be mentioning it on the pick in inspection, and will be asking why it has all season on it and ask that they be changed.  

Mike

inbound1189626577431765980.jpg

On 4/15/2019 at 10:08 AM, econometrics said:

newdude covers this spot on. Depends not just on Z71 trim, but wheel size, etc. 

My RST Z71 with 20"s came with the Wrangler A/T. Most of the RSTs with 20"s I've seen on lots, however, have the Dueller. Who knows how GM decides which one gets which. 

I'm already looking forward to replacing them with Michelin LTX M/S2's, to be honest. Can't beat that tire, and probably has just as good of "off road" performance as the Wrangler ATs does. At least for the amount of "off-roading" I do... which is next to none. Lol 

My RST came with Goodyear A/T and my buddies RST came with the Bridgestones. My truck is a 6.2 and built in Ft. Wayne...his is a Duramax and built in Mexico. I'm wondering if the tires on the truck have to do with which plant the truck was assembled at. 

2 hours ago, mrtizzom said:

My RST came with Goodyear A/T and my buddies RST came with the Bridgestones. My truck is a 6.2 and built in Ft. Wayne...his is a Duramax and built in Mexico. I'm wondering if the tires on the truck have to do with which plant the truck was assembled at. 

Quite possible.