2019 Silverado trailboss 5.3l engine oil cooler line failure

2 hours ago, steve841 said:

Again, I hope you all are filing complaints at NHTSA ...

I was poking around there and didnt see any filings :( 

I filed a complaint and was contacted for more details, pictures and asked to provide consent to allow the NHTSA to raise the issue with GM. So perhaps it just that they haven't updated their website yet. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, steve841 said:

Again, I hope you all are filing complaints at NHTSA ...

I was poking around there and didnt see any filings :( 

I’m actually in the process of doing. Paying so much for a truck and getting this results isn’t funny 

On 4/29/2019 at 3:14 PM, Dea1276 said:

I literally just picked up a 2019 Trail Boss last night. My first American car, now I am super freaked out.

You and me both. I’m having pleanty of quality issues with this Truck all ready now I have to worry about this?

23 hours ago, ILSilverado said:

You and me both. I’m having pleanty of quality issues with this Truck all ready now I have to worry about this?

There are literally a handful of failures out of hundreds of thousands of these truck that have been sold. There are just as many Toyota Tundras with bad rear main seals being sold these days as there are oil cooler line failures so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DeePa said:

The line on my 17 was replaced under warranty. Dealership caught it while changing the vac pump. 

Truck had 56k. Just a FYI. 

Wonder if the new cable is a updated design?

Do you know if the line had been that way for the entire 56k miles — or did it begin ‘failing’ more as the truck was driven?  Trying to figure out if I’m going to have to crawl under my new, $60k truck and check the oil line each time I drive it.  

I'm an older guy, and have always bought GM vehicles, and nothing else. Never owned another brand. My dad worked for GM and retired after more than 35 years of service. He'd turn over in his grave if he knew I bought something other than GM. 

That said, it has been my experience in the past that GM will not fix or repair anything under warranty until it breaks completely. The only exception is if it a recall or they (the GM dealer) get a service bulletin about a particular problem or possible problem; otherwise, it is usually "normal operation". 

But I still keep buying GM products, for better or worse... maybe the good outweighs the bad? Or, maybe it is just respect for my late dad, I'm not sure.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Farmer_2 said:

That said, it has been my experience in the past that GM will not fix or repair anything under warranty until it breaks completely. The only exception is if it a recall or they (the GM dealer) get a service bulletin about a particular problem or possible problem; otherwise, it is usually "normal operation".

That's standard operating procedure for every manufacturer these days. I know a guy that's driving around his brand new F-150 with the nastiest case of piston slap I've ever heard and only because Ford instructed the dealer to tell them it's "normal". Same with another guy's brand new 2018 Tacoma that has one of the loudest howling rear diffs I've ever heard. It gets louder and louder and Toyota tells him it's "normal". Same with his 6-speed automatic transmission which slams into gear, nearly stalls when taking off at a stop light, and shudders around town. He said he bought a Toyota for the quality. I haven't seen it and Toyota clearly doesn't back it. It's a bad trend in the auto industry.

That being said. Half a dozen oil cooler lines with bad crimps is T-I-N-Y amount when hundreds of thousands of these trucks are on the road. These external oil lines fail on EVERY brand of vehicle. As I pointed out before, Toyotas were infamous for oil line failures. Literally hundreds of thousands of vehicles were affected and hundreds of cars destroyed because of it. At this point, the oil lines on the 2019 GM trucks is something to be aware of, but not to worry yourself about. If you see oil residue building up on the outside of the lines, take it to the dealer and have them replaced. They generally don't blow off out of the blue, but instead oil seeps out from the crimped area in the time leading up to a failure.

Got my truck back (again) late last week. When they replaced the starter relay after the engine replacement a terminal got loose and was causing the intermittent power issues, particularly with the auto stop/start cycles. The truck's computer was throwing a code and they immediately found it and tightened everything down. So far so good. I'm still negotiating with GM over a warranty extension.

• Like 1

Glad to hear it, Shawn.  Hope all works out. 

On 5/14/2019 at 2:30 PM, ShamrockShooter said:

I would bring it back and tell them your family does not feel safe in it and you don't want it back until they can duplicate the issue and fix it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using CRAP-a-talk

HA!  And all you have to do is

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:21 PM, TeamSaris said:

The unfortunate part is any kind of pro-active action (add a hose clamp, use real oil lines with AN fittings, etc) will probably void the warranty. Gonna crawl under my truck tonight. 360 miles on it. Runs great....would love to keep it that way. 

ya i'm thinking old school metal clamp at the crimp if that will re-inforce it. i'm gonna call my service guy this morning and pay for that if i have to. if it will work. 150 miles and now i have to sweat every mile after reading this thread. good grief. i been driving f150s for 20 years maybe shoulda stuck with them. i love the new TB look, its underpowered but that can be adjusted. was looking to keep this one a long time.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:47 PM, Radchad said:

No sign of leakage on my LT TB  2/19 build.   But I’d sure feel better to replace these lines with something else. I work for a Cat dealer and have access to any hose and fitting I could need.  However ...... I asked local dealer service dept about replacing them myself,  He told me he wasn’t sure if it would void warranty or not and don’t worry because it’s not common and he’s never seen it.   Does anyone know for sure ?

If my truck lines fail I’ll run it until the engine seizes and or oil sprays on hot exhaust and truck most likely will burn to the ground.   

just talked to my service advisor and told him about the issue. asked if maybe we could put clamps on to re-inforce. he said and i quote: if it crimps the connector GM could void the warranty if your engine blows. wow. so a 50 dollar fix to save GM THOUSANDS would give them an out. everyone should call GM and report the issue so they pay attention. i can tell you if that happened where i work it would be all hands on deck. the fix for all of the lines would be less than replacing a handful of engines. not to mention bad press.

4 hours ago, Trail Boss 1 said:

just talked to my service advisor and told him about the issue. asked if maybe we could put clamps on to re-inforce. he said and i quote: if it crimps the connector GM could void the warranty if your engine blows. wow. so a 50 dollar fix to save GM THOUSANDS would give them an out. everyone should call GM and report the issue so they pay attention. i can tell you if that happened where i work it would be all hands on deck. the fix for all of the lines would be less than replacing a handful of engines. not to mention bad press.

Report an issue that's not an issue?  

7 hours ago, Trail Boss 1 said:

Putting extra clamps on isn't going to do a thing to reinforce the connection.  Nothing. 

On 5/23/2019 at 5:52 AM, Colossus said:

I would bring it back and tell them your family does not feel safe in it and you don't want it back until they can duplicate the issue and fix it

HA!  And all you have to do is

I agree...

It has been my experience in the past that you can't make GM or the dealer do anything they are not willing to do; perhaps you can try to persuade and encourage them to an extent. I've heard stories about the local GM dealer being sued by customers for various things, and winning the lawsuit. But that's a long and stressful road, and you may not always come out ahead.  

I've also learned that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Threatening and cursing the dealer is not the best way get issues resolved, most of the time. 

That said, I think GM tries a little harder to keep their customers happy nowadays than in the past... 

Just an observation from past experience (good and bad).